reply to raythompsontn

Re: Christmas lights power questions..

+1 Absolutely correct

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to raythompsontn

Here in Quebec, it's so strict that it even becomes UNSAFE. You technically can't do more than change a light bulb if you aren't a licensed electrician. What it means is those who want to do some DIY work won't even be able to pay for an inspection, so it will go uninspected.

I think there is a difference between if a fire/damage was caused by unlicensed electrical work that is up to code vs. not up to code.

I can see an insurance company going to court against the home owner if a fire was started, for example, because an extension cord was used as wiring behind a wall.

Now if there was DIY/unlicensed wiring done, but it was up to code, and it caught fire because of a faulty breaker (but proper amperage rating), then that's another story.

tmaertin
Crash Into Me
Premium
join:2002-04-03
North Tonawanda, NY
reply to SuperNet9

Click for full size
Clark W Griswold
i think we need to defer to the expert on Christmas lighting...
--
Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to SuperNet9

It's not the end of the world. Just make sure the one you trimmed goes into the wide slot.

bbrcat
Help Fight Cancer
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-09
NH
kudos:3
reply to SuperNet9

NO,NO ! Bad practice/habit to be messing with...

RogerD

join:2008-07-15
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to SuperNet9

Don't tell my insurance company, but I've gotten around the polarized plugs by using a ground adapter. Everyone I've seen has a polarized socket but not blades.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:10
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

So basically the LEDs themselves aren't a problem, it's the AC/DC converter that needs to be modified/upgraded to avoid flickering?

That's reassuring. Those 16' (5 meters) strips of LEDs are so cheap. I could light all the basement with LED and dimming capacity for less than 300$.

I've used quite a few of those LED strips, and all of them ran on either 12v or 5v DC. With DC, there is 0 flicker as they never turn "off" like they do with a half or even full (without filtering caps) wave rectifier. That is until you introduce dimming: depending on the quality of the dimmer, you may very well get flicker when dimmed (even if you can't see it a video camera definitely will).

/M

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to Bob4

if he had to trim it, there is no wide slot where he's trying to plig it in.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Harwood Heights, IL
kudos:5
reply to SuperNet9

Update: I installed my xmas lights and decided not to put on the snowman that i need to tirm the power end...

Now, whenever I turn on my TV the lights flicker(and only when it 1sts turns on), is that normal?
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

That must be one massive old CRT TV.

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL

said by alkizmo:

That must be one massive old CRT TV.

Not at all, a brand new LED tv
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to tmaertin

said by tmaertin:

i think we need to defer to the expert on Christmas lighting...

And there's Deck the Halls where Danny Devito wants to be able to see his house decorations from space .....

SuperNet9
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to SuperNet9

bump

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

What question did you ask that hasn't been answered?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SuperNet9

said by SuperNet9:

bump

LEDs, if no power supply is involved, will react faster than an incandescent and might allow you to see a momentary drop. The other thing is, depending on the circuit, LEDs will cut out where an incandescent may just dim.