share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to wth

Re: [Cable TV] 41 Days 'till Sinclair vs Mediacom Retrans Expire

said by wth:

Last agreement was a 2 year deal signed on 12/24/2010 which covers all Sinclair owned/operated stations.
»Re: [MO] is it true mediacom will be dropping all fox channels?

Link to the Sinclair owned/operated stations: »www.sbgi.net/business/television.shtml

Hopefully, we won't have to look for our rabbit ears.

I am betting there will be a dispute.

Honestly, I think Mediacom (and all providers for that matter) should dump local TV network affiliates and say either you provide your signal for free or you don't get carried. That or offer to hookup an antenna outside residential households and tie it into their channel offerings. It doesn't make sense that Mediacom has to pay money to carry local affiliates and then have to compete with their OTA free broadcasts. And every single time the contract ends, the local stations demand more money for often times continuously degrading ratings and content. If Mediacom got some backbone and stood up to the local affiliates, I bet the stations would cave. Last thing they want to do is lose out on both carriage fees and advertising revenue if no one can watch them.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

The problem is as always the sports fans. As soon as they can't watch their games they will look elsewhere and start cancelling cable TV service. Mediacom should not even negotiate they should just pass on the increase to the subscribers.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.