spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime

WTB High Speed Internet Barrie!

So right now I don't know whats going on with rogers. I thought CRTC talks/deals whatever you call it allowed all the Cable Internet providers get the latest speeds but I'm a bit confused there I hope someone could explain it for me.

But I'm looking for the following if any ISPs know for sure they will be getting it in the near future:
35/3 or what I really hope is 45/4 but I think only star can offer that profile if their speeds are increased?

Any other information you guys can provide that be wonderful.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I'm kind of confused by your question...

Rogers offers 45/4 / 35/3 - are you looking for a 3rd party (TPIA) provider that does speed matching? Not sure what you mean about "don't know whats going on with rogers" - are you having issues with them, or just don't want to use them directly?

I don't think Tek's doing cable in Barrie - Start.ca shows 32/1 as their fastest teir in the area, but the website may be out of date...

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to TechChime

Premium Member

to TechChime
If you want TPIA cable in Barrie you need to signup with a TPIA provider that has purchased and uses the APOI (aggregated point-of-interconnect). They generally can serve the entire footprint of the incumbent but I do remember there were a few expections.

The only TPIA I know of with APOI is Start Communications. I would recommend going with them because it looks like they are going to get the new speed tiers shortly. Providers like TSI with dis-aggregated POIs are in a fight @ the CRTC to get the latest speeds as you pointed out. At this point it's not clear how the Commission is going to rule.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

You're not going to get the higher speeds right now, as Rogers is attempting to hold them back. There are 2 proceedings going on right now, trying to force Rogers to provide the speed upgrades for free, as they're providing them to their own customers for free.
resa1983

resa1983 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I'm kind of confused by your question...

Rogers offers 45/4 / 35/3 - are you looking for a 3rd party (TPIA) provider that does speed matching? Not sure what you mean about "don't know whats going on with rogers" - are you having issues with them, or just don't want to use them directly?

I don't think Tek's doing cable in Barrie - Start.ca shows 32/1 as their fastest teir in the area, but the website may be out of date...

Its not out of date. Rogers is attempting to state these 'new' speeds are 'new' tiers altogether, and requested a price increase for them, and want to grandfather current speeds (ie, no speedmatching).
Its total bull, but here's the link explaining the current proceedings:
»CNOC Files w/ CRTC Against Rogers
TechChime
Barrie, ON

TechChime

From what I can tell in my area I can get now:
Distributel
Acanac
Start Communications

At least all 3 of them when I do the location check they all show that I can get it in Barrie now.

Start seems to be the fastest as in they would be the ones getting id assume 45/4 once all this settles. But they are not unlimited nor do they indicate they have a cap. I hear some say these companies can't monitor but all it would take is Rogers calling them up and saying hey some ass name Kane who we dislike used 600gigs. That is going be a nasty fee as there is no protection on a max.

So I think I might end up having to go with:
Distributel
Acanac

They would I assume have 35/3 with the new speeds once they get them?

Also yeah TechSavvy told me they were not planning anything in the Barrie area for a while so it could be many years. Its a bit odd how 3 of the other guys are now though. Barrie is one the places that has always been hard to get discount deals on anything.

I think its still considered one the fastest growing cities in Canada too :P

Also what does TPIA mean?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by TechChime:

From what I can tell in my area I can get now:
Distributel
Acanac
Start Communications

At least all 3 of them when I do the location check they all show that I can get it in Barrie now.

Start seems to be the fastest as in they would be the ones getting id assume 45/4 once all this settles. But they are not unlimited nor do they indicate they have a cap. I hear some say these companies can't monitor but all it would take is Rogers calling them up and saying hey some ass name Kane who we dislike used 600gigs. That is going be a nasty fee as there is no protection on a max.

So I think I might end up having to go with:
Distributel
Acanac

They would I assume have 35/3 with the new speeds once they get them?

Also yeah TechSavvy told me they were not planning anything in the Barrie area for a while so it could be many years. Its a bit odd how 3 of the other guys are now though. Barrie is one the places that has always been hard to get discount deals on anything.

I think its still considered one the fastest growing cities in Canada too :P

Also what does TPIA mean?

Everything is IF it settles how it should. Just because it should, doesn't mean it will unfortunately. All of this relies on the 2 current ongoing issues.

TPIA means "Third Party Internet Access".
TechChime
Barrie, ON

TechChime

Okay thanks for the information. Lets hope for the best!