Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: Bamboozled: Retailers are monitoring your return habits

Just to add fuel to the fire......if you bounce a check at your supermarket, for example, Home Depot may refuse your check. That is networked together also. I'm sure other retailers participate in this too. (I used to work at Home Depot, so I know how some of these things work, I'm sure they've ramped the protection up since I worked there).
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

Just to add fuel to the fire......if you bounce a check at your supermarket, for example, Home Depot may refuse your check. That is networked together also. I'm sure other retailers participate in this too. (I used to work at Home Depot, so I know how some of these things work, I'm sure they've ramped the protection up since I worked there).

That is why some stores now run the check right at the register(I think walmart does this.)

Its interesting having looked into the ins and outs of supermarkets and a big reason people write checks still is they do not have the funds on hand. basically they are depending on the bank delay because they get paid a day later for example.

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Its interesting having looked into the ins and outs of supermarkets and a big reason people write checks still is they do not have the funds on hand. basically they are depending on the bank delay because they get paid a day later for example.

Actually, I still write checks at the supermarket because checks are faster than a card, even though you have to write it out.

I don't know where the bottleneck is, but sometimes the wait for people using cards is ridiculous.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

interesting I have never ever seen a check go faster than a card. people write so slow and then they write their numbers in screwy print/cursive hybrid so the cashier has to ask what they wrote to be sure its exact amount or cash back.

goalieskates
Premium Member
land of big

goalieskates

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

interesting I have never ever seen a check go faster than a card. people write so slow and then they write their numbers in screwy print/cursive hybrid so the cashier has to ask what they wrote to be sure its exact amount or cash back.

One would think, but like I said ... and the register phones home to verify you have the funds to cover the check, too. The days of the float are long gone ... Even so, the check's quicker.

And that's not counting the poor old folks who are completely stymied by the buttons on the card swipe machine or the debit/credit question. Go figure. All I know is, standing in line you figure out real quick which method is going to be faster, and it's the check.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to goalieskates

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Actually, I still write checks at the supermarket because checks are faster than a card, even though you have to write it out.
I don't know where the bottleneck is, but sometimes the wait for people using cards is ridiculous.

I don't know what store you're going to, but where I go, credit is faster than cash, let alone checks. I can swipe the card while items are being rung up, and if it's under $50, no signature is required either at the grocery or Walmart. No fumbling with change, cashier just hands me the receipt and I'm on my way. (I use a true credit card).

goalieskates
Premium Member
land of big

1 edit

goalieskates

Premium Member

You can get out of the grocery for under $50? No way ...

And you can prewrite checks too, ya know - just leave the amount open.

I'm not anti-card. But I do think you have to pay attention and not make false assumptions that cards are always faster, etc., or only people with no money write checks to float. Cause it ain't necessarily so.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo

said by goalieskates:

I can get out of there for under $50, but it didn't happen that way today, but I swiped the card while the clerk was ringing up the stuff, when ready, signed and was on my way. Way I see it, the signature trades off the dealing with change so about the same as cash, whereupon checks, well, they're running those things through a scanner, so checks are slower. But, for the card to be quick, it has to be swiped while the clerk is ringing the stuff up, not after.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to goalieskates

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

I'm going to the store after Star Wars is over. 1 1/2 gallons of milk plus 3 bags of Chips Ahoy! usually costs $19.75. What else does anyone ever need to buy?

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve

said by Bob4:

What else does anyone ever need to buy?

Beer.