Crunch Addict
MVM
join:2001-12-15
Clinton Township, MI

parkut

MVM

Apology from WOW received via email tonight

Dear WOW! Customer,

I’m contacting you with an update and a heartfelt apology. We recently changed our billing system. Despite a tremendous amount of advance preparation, a number of issues have resulted that affect our service to you. Because the billing system is connected to every aspect of our business, you may have encountered impossibly long waits when you’ve tried to reach us, and our technicians may have been delayed in helping you.

I cannot apologize enough for our poor service over the last few weeks. I can only assure you that hundreds of WOW! employees are working day and night to resolve all the issues that affect you. We’re making progress every day, but we know it’s not fast enough. We are grateful for your patience, and completely understand your frustration. We’ll continue to update you as new information becomes available.

This is not the message we’d like to be sending you on Thanksgiving. As we work to regain your trust, we give thanks for the opportunity to serve you, and we wish you and your family a wonderful holiday.

Sincerely,

Colleen Abdoulah
Chief Executive Officer and Chairwoman of the Board
WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone

kpossible
Premium Member
join:2003-09-11

kpossible

Premium Member

Although I did not receive that email (yet), I respect someone who is able to humble themselves and say, "Sorry." Sometimes a sincere apology is better than just about anything.
hudiat
join:2011-10-13

hudiat

I'm suspicious of the timing. Why did it take weeks before we got this?

I appreciate the effort, but send it out on a day when everyone will ignore it heading into a long holiday weekend.

We give thanks we can serve you as a customer? Then why haven't they fixed the issues going on for months. Just under a billion dollars can go a long way and fixing on going video issues should have been more important than buying knology.

She apologizes for the billing and bad support, but no mention of the actual service issues on going.
NuclearXP9
join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

NuclearXP9 to parkut

to parkut
I've said it once and I'll say it again, this means nothing to me. What if I my work had an accounting error and couldn't process my paycheck in time due to a software upgrade? Do I get to call WOW and tell them their bill won't get paid this week. I'm so sick of the mentality that it is perfectly OK for service providers to give a "best effort" quality of service but expect payment in full regardless. It pains me to say this - but I wouldn't mind the government stepping in to protect consumers and permit us to pay a prorated bill based on service outages. While the apology may be sincere - unless WOW sustains a financial impact for offering subpar service, then they will continue to offer a "best effort" quality of service, rather than a quality of service that directly affects their profitability.

kpossible
Premium Member

kpossible to parkut

Premium Member

to parkut
I still didn't get one.

JamfSlayer
join:2012-11-04
Columbus, OH

JamfSlayer

I received the email, but my services are now worse.. CableCARD not validated all over the place on digital channels, internet is hit or miss whether I can get to YouTube streaming or Play store downloads, HBO and HBOGo - Gone.. WTF!! This is becoming quite annoying.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

said by JamfSlayer:

I received the email, but my services are now worse.. CableCARD not validated all over the place on digital channels, internet is hit or miss whether I can get to YouTube streaming or Play store downloads, HBO and HBOGo - Gone.. WTF!! This is becoming quite annoying.

The other day I went through a spate of Media Center screaming at me about how shows wouldn't be recorded because no signal was available, but it was only for a 12 to 18 hour period and then MC stopped yelling. And that was primarily, if not exclusively, for the kids' shows.

I don't watch live TV, so any interruption reveals itself to me only in recorded shows. I did see some garbage in Monday night's 2 Broke Girls, but that was it so far. I imagine I'll see something in H50 an Vegas.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count to parkut

to parkut
I got the apology last night as well.

But I wonder are they going to give everyone a service credit or only for the people who call in to complain?

If they were truely sorry they would just give it out to everyone.

kpossible
Premium Member

kpossible

Premium Member

I have received generous service credits in the past, but that doesn't solve the problem. It seemed to function as a band-aid at the time, but now, here I am with another issue (or the same issue, I just don't know), and no solution. My issues have little to do with the billing conversion, as they existed before that happened. So, from my point of view, I'd simply be happy with a truly fixed issue, and perhaps an adjustment in attitude. I am not getting that "award winning service attitude" from most (not all, most). Although I suspect that is because I just won't accept the responses that I'm receiving from them, and as such, I've become a thorn.

ghgard
@ohioindemnity.com

ghgard to hudiat

Anon

to hudiat
I agree, they need to apologize for the down-time over the past few days and offer everyone some sort of a credit (free ppv or bill credit). I have been very frustrated with the service over the past few months.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to parkut

to parkut
Got my apology email. As I have said I would really be curious to know what went wrong with the new phone system to cause the issues. I'm sure it was a lot more than personnel adjusting to a new system.

I have had no service issues to speak of in the last month like many others are reporting so the letter was fine for me. Of course if they want to issue credits, I won't say no .
grantsa4
join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

grantsa4

My service is fine, but my latest bill is all messed up. Charged for a ppv I did not order and credits moved around for lesser amounts. Tried to call, but don't have 45 minutes to sit on hold - very frustrated
keknapp
join:2012-11-21
Rochester, MI

keknapp to parkut

to parkut
I just got my latest bill and of course every discount has dropped off. Tried contacting Customer Support and was on the phone for just under 2 hours. Got absolutely no response. Their automated system kept going around in a loop, literally. Several times in between it hung up on me. After nearly 2 hours of frustration trying to talk to someone, I got nothing but a busy signal.

I ended up submitting an "email" to their support in hopes that someone will read and respond to my request to get my discounts put back onto my account. If I can't get to a human being and get this resolved, I'll have to try going with their competitors.

They used to have the finest customer support, but now very poor management and implementation of their system makes me wonder where they are headed from a customer service standpoint. I used to have Comcast and the only reason I switched was because of their poor customer support. On the other hand I never had to wait 2 hours and get hung up on several times. Guess we'll see what happens.

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

slyphoxj

said by keknapp:

I just got my latest bill and of course every discount has dropped off. Tried contacting Customer Support and was on the phone for just under 2 hours. Got absolutely no response. Their automated system kept going around in a loop, literally. Several times in between it hung up on me. After nearly 2 hours of frustration trying to talk to someone, I got nothing but a busy signal.

I ended up submitting an "email" to their support in hopes that someone will read and respond to my request to get my discounts put back onto my account. If I can't get to a human being and get this resolved, I'll have to try going with their competitors.

They used to have the finest customer support, but now very poor management and implementation of their system makes me wonder where they are headed from a customer service standpoint. I used to have Comcast and the only reason I switched was because of their poor customer support. On the other hand I never had to wait 2 hours and get hung up on several times. Guess we'll see what happens.

Too bad that WOW doesn't have an employee on here to handle billing/account issues. WOW_Dan handles technical issues only.
slyphoxj

slyphoxj to keknapp

to keknapp
said by keknapp:

Try going down to you local WOW office. Here are the addresses and phone numbers of the two WOW offices in the Detroit area (not sure which one is closer to you):

WOW! Office -Madison Heights
32650 N. Avis Drive Madison Heights, MI 48071
(866) 496-9669
Monday through Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Notes: Customers can make payments, pick up/return equipment, and place orders. There is also a drop box for equipment and payments.

WOW! Office -Taylor
26035 Northline Taylor, MI 48180
(866) 496-9669
Mon-Fri 8:30am รข€“ 5:30pm
Notes: Customers can make payments, pick up/return equipment, and place orders. There is also a drop box for equipment and payments.

Hopefully you have some luck. Let us know how it went for you if you decide to go to the WOW office.
keknapp
join:2012-11-21
Rochester, MI

keknapp

Thanks for the addresses. I was wondering about where I could go to interact with an actual human. Guess I'll end up doing that on Monday.
Expand your moderator at work

ghgard
@wideopenwest.com

ghgard

Anon

Re: Apology from WOW received via email tonight

said by adam1991:

said by keknapp:

Thanks for the addresses. I was wondering about where I could go to interact with an actual human.

You were "wondering"?

Did you bother to hit their web site and look? In under ten seconds, it's all laid out for your location.

Sounds to me like you're on of those who'd rather sit and whine than get up off your duff and do something about it.

No reason to attack someone just because they expect to have a phone call / email answered. We should not have to drive to a physical location that is most likely manned by someone that cannot help with any of the issues we are all experiencing.
ghgard

ghgard to adam1991

Anon

to adam1991
Well, I have visited the local office and was not impressed. I expect the same level of service that I have received from all other providers that I have had over the years. If you like to do all your business in person, that is your choice but not mine. When parts of their service is down for several days in a row I would expect some sort of update on the corporate website or the ability to call and get some answers. WOW has a rep of being a service friendly company, haven't seen that side of them lately. The service center lines still ring busy most of the time and if you do get thru you wait upwards of 1 hour for someone to answer.

So, feel free to drive to a retail location, but I dont feel I should have to do that just to get an update on a possible system wide issue. It seems to me for what we pay per month we could get some answers via email/phone, this isn't the 1950's.

Ultimately we just want the service to work as advertised. There have been lots of picture quality issues over the past few weeks.
adam1991
united state

adam1991 to ghgard

to ghgard
said by ghgard :

We should not have to drive to a physical location that is most likely manned by someone that cannot help with any of the issues we are all experiencing.

"waaah, we shouldn't have to get up and see someone face to face!" Really?

"Most likely manned by someone that cannot help"?? How do you know that? Or do you just assume that, and give up without ever trying?

My local WOW facility is manned by people who are not only very willing to help, but who are also very ABLE to help. But then, I know that because I (a) didn't assume they were idiots, and (b) got off my duff and visited them when it made sense for me to do so (to get a cableCARD). I did *not* just sit there and expect that the world would serve me on my time and on my terms. Instead, I made it work for me. And I was pleasantly surprised by the people I found there.

Give it a try. You may be surprised yourself.
chitown7777
join:2012-06-25
Naperville, IL

chitown7777

Adam, most of us have day jobs that prevent us from taking time off work to go to a service office that is only open Monday-Friday during very restrictive hours.

You either have laughably low expectations for those who provide you goods and services for your money, or you (more likely) work for WOW. If you are happy with mediocrity, fantastic. Don't yell at people who are not.
adam1991
united state

adam1991

said by chitown7777:

Adam, most of us have day jobs that prevent us from taking time off work to go to a service office that is only open Monday-Friday during very restrictive hours.

Oh, I get that. But how does one know the hours are "restrictive" if one doesn't take ten seconds to hit the web site and find out where the office is and what their hours are?

I don't work for WOW. But I will call BS when someone sits there and says something like, "oh, good, I was wondering where their offices were". No, you weren't. If you were wondering, you would have spent the ten seconds discovering the facts regarding the office location and hours.

For all we know--and for all YOU knew--the WOW offices are a three minute walk from where you work, and you'd have plenty of time to take care of business in person. But you wouldn't know that unless you took the time to investigate those simple facts, would you.

chinorth
@wideopenwest.com

chinorth to adam1991

Anon

to adam1991
Adam, I've never seen an ISP fanboy before. Wow.

Some of us don't believe we work for our providers. They work for us. I'm sorry you have such low expectations, or the more likely scenario that you work for WOW.
chitown7777
Naperville, IL

chitown7777 to adam1991

to adam1991
said by adam1991:

For all we know--and for all YOU knew--the WOW offices are a three minute walk from where you work, and you'd have plenty of time to take care of business in person. But you wouldn't know that unless you took the time to investigate those simple facts, would you.

For all "I" knew? I know what the office hours are, and they suck (my local office is Mon-Fri 8am-5pm). So what now? How does this make up for the godawful phone support? Regale us with your totally-not-a-WOW-employee advice.

EffinMo
@wideopenwest.com

EffinMo to chinorth

Anon

to chinorth
Chinorth-

If this "adam" person works for WOW (which I have no way of knowing one way or the other), it would indeed be right in line with how their employees act. This company closes ranks and treat each other better than they do their customers, when it comes right down to it. It's the company philosophy. On the outside they say something like, "Create a great environment for your employees, promote from within and make them feel super-safe, then it will carry over to the customers." In actuality it has come to mean that many of these people have been with the company upwards of 10-12 years, have been promoted up through the ranks, in some instances from installer all the way up to system manager. They are extremely loyal to their company and one another (almost looking "brainwashed"). There is no room for outsiders (the customers) to take a real priority. They are too busy worshiping the great and powerful WOW and their peers.

They are like "The Borg."
adam1991
united state

adam1991 to chitown7777

to chitown7777
said by chitown7777:

said by adam1991:

For all "I" knew? I know what the office hours are, and they suck (my local office is Mon-Fri 8am-5pm). So what now? How does this make up for the godawful phone support? Regale us with your totally-not-a-WOW-employee advice.

Great, you know. keknapp didn't--and apparently didn't even bother to look into it while actively wondering where they are and what the hours are?

It's hilarious to watch the entitlement crowd close ranks each other and start up with the "you must be employed by them if you don't agree with our entitlement world!" crap.

ghgard
@wideopenwest.com

ghgard

Anon

I find it hilarious that you dont feel "entitled" to the support system that they put in place and expect people to use. The physical offices are typically for sales, they do not staff tech support personnel that can assist with our problems.

I for one, expect the support that is advertised. Im pretty sure that doesnt make me part of the entitlement crowd, I am paying for this service.
chitown7777
Naperville, IL

chitown7777 to adam1991

to adam1991
said by adam1991:

It's hilarious to watch the entitlement crowd close ranks each other and start up with the "you must be employed by them if you don't agree with our entitlement world!" crap.

Adam, it's simple logic, really. A person who was having not issues of their own in all probability would not be spending their time on a support forum arguing with people who are seeking support or complaining about service, UNLESS they had an axe of their own to grind. And in my years of observing generally ridiculous human behavior in online forums, in general said axe is employment with the target of said complaints. The lesser probability is that you're just really bored.
corinthos
join:2007-10-09

corinthos

I finally cancelled WOW. I was having issues and was mad about the support system. I told them it was because I was mad that they hadn't fixed the phone systems in so long but really I am moving December first with a place with a lot more options for internet and decided to go with them. Where I was at I just had wireless/sat and wow. Didn't even have jacks for dsl.
adam1991
united state

adam1991 to chitown7777

to chitown7777
said by chitown7777:

Adam, it's simple logic, really. A person who was having not issues of their own in all probability would not be spending their time on a support forum arguing with people who are seeking support or complaining about service, UNLESS they had an axe of their own to grind. And in my years of observing generally ridiculous human behavior in online forums, in general said axe is employment with the target of said complaints. The lesser probability is that you're just really bored.

I have no axe to grind, I am not bored, and I am not employed by WOW in any capacity (nor have I ever been, nor am I scheduled to be).