join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 edit

1 recommendation

Cartel

Premium Member

AT&T block ur YouTube + Facebook

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· cZfnglIo

A set of leaked internal AT&T training documents obtained by TorrentFreak reveal that the Internet provider will start sending out anti-piracy warning notices to its subscribers on November 28. Customers whose accounts are repeatedly flagged for alleged copyright infringements will have their access to frequently visited websites blocked, until they complete an online copyright course. It’s expected that most other participating ISPs will start their versions of the anti-piracy plan on the same date.

»torrentfreak.com/att-sta ··· -121012/
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

How do the ISPs know what is and isnt good material??
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Cartel

MVM

to Cartel

Re: AT&T block ur YouTube + Facebook

Wasn't there a joke RFC that talked about the Omniscent flag or bit that'd tell you whether this was good or bad?

Regards

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823

Re:  

said by 19579823:

How do the ISPs know what is and isnt good material??

They don't. They will not be monitoring your traffic for "bad" bits. They will be responding to DMCA complaints filed by IP owners, or their agents.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel

Ironic, isn't it? Users pay an ISP for contracted communications services, and the ISP provides free private policing and enforcement services on demand for special-interest groups who pay them... nothing. And please do realize, these enforcements have not been warranted by any court, established by any actual evidence found in possession of the user, or any other meaningful due-process event. (Full disclosure: I've not downloaded a solitary piece of copyrighted music, video, or pirated software in my life - paid or otherwise, nor do I intend to. I have zero interests in those areas. But I am responding to the sheer un-Constitutionality of turning user-paid, contracted service providers into free private police agencies, judges, and juries based purely on simple accusation or circumstantial evidence... all with the tacit or explicit approval of legislatures and the US legal system.)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by Blackbird:

Ironic, isn't it? Users pay an ISP for contracted communications services, and the ISP provides free private policing and enforcement services on demand for special-interest groups who pay them... nothing.

Users paying for FiOS, Prism, U-verse, Xfinity, and whatever other slick bundling market name is out there, are not paying for just communications services. MSOs, like Comcast, Cox, SuddenLink, and TWC/RR are first, and foremost, content delivery services, and are beholden to content providers. And telcos, such as AT&T (U-verse), CenturyLink (Prism), and Verizon (FiOS) have joined the ranks of content delivery services, and, thus, also beholden to the content providers. They have to act favorably to the MPAA/RIAA if they want content to deliver; they have to protect the content revenue stream.

And please do realize, these enforcements have not been warranted by any court, established by any actual evidence found in possession of the user, or any other meaningful due-process event. ... But I am responding to the sheer un-Constitutionality of turning user-paid, contracted service providers into free private police agencies, judges, and juries based purely on simple accusation or circumstantial evidence... all with the tacit or explicit approval of legislatures and the US legal system.)

You are not talking about state sanctions against citizens, which is the purview of the U.S. Constitution. This comes down to contract law, and the rights and responsibilities of the parties to contracts.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
the ISPs are playing Piracy Police not just because they have become or already where cable companies but also because they know if they did not agree to six strikes that the MAFIAA would lobby something far more costly for them to setup into law.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Right now they have the safe harbor protections under the DMCA. Who has the stronger lobby on Capitol Hill? Telecom or MPAA/RIAA?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Zoder:

Right now they have the safe harbor protections under the DMCA. Who has the stronger lobby on Capitol Hill? Telecom or MPAA/RIAA?

Doesn't matter. MPAA/RIAA calls the shots if "Telecom" wants to carry TV.
Expand your moderator at work
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to NormanS

to NormanS

and if all the major ISPs stood together and said no? You think they would pull their content from every major wireline provider? They'd have no ad revenue and it would be a disaster for them.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Any policing never was, is or will be free. I guess it's obvious, that it takes money to do the job. But MAFIAA envision of this world this way - you have to pay money for policing (even if you don't want to deal with them or hear about them at all) and they get their profits from that... Very clever, don't you think?

MAFIAA is corrupting this country, paying lobbyists to make new laws in their behalf and making everyone around to pay for their profits... And they are allowed to do so only because people don't see it. But that's how the mafia works.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Zoder

MVM

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

and if all the major ISPs ...

That is the problem, though; all the "major ISPs" aren't in the ISP business, they are in the entertainment business. There is nothing like a 30% profit margin in wireline communications. You want the big profit margin? Forget farming, retail, and wireline communications. The big money is in law, medicine, and entertainment (including sports).