share rss forum feed

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to AnnaS8

Re: Some hardware questions

Click for full size
Sounds like the straight SSD build would have plenty of space for your needs.

I wouldn't worry about SSD longevity. They're designed to handle a LOT of written data, and reads aren't a problem for them. Even Intel's new 20nm NAND-driven 335 SSD can handle a lot of writes, and the first batches of NAND on a new process node can be weak with the max number of writes.

I've attached a screenshot of some SMART/health readings from my own main SSD, which has been powered up pretty much 24/7 since I got it in March 2011. I've written over 5 TB to the drive and it's reporting zero issues. No retired blocks or program/erase cycle failures.
--
KI6RIT

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

Ok so let me see if I got this correct...speed wise the SSD will boot faster but the SSD and SATA drive will run about the same after the OS has booted up or am I wrong?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

For the most part,…

In a pure SSD environment the system will boot faster as you said but applications will start faster too. The system will overall feel more responsive in many cases. Disc intensive applications / operations will typically receive speed improvements as well.

In the hybrid SSD cache + HDD case, if there is something that isn’t in the cache you drop down to the speed of the HDD

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

Ok thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It has been very appreciated.