Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

verix

join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

1 edit

[Voip.ms] Intra-network calling

Sorry, this is probably my last newbie question and I searched quite extensively. How does someone take advantage of free calling between voip.ms users?

According to this wiki entry, it seems like intra-network calls require at least the callee to have a DID assigned to him/her. Otherwise, it is impossible to do so. Calling [account number]@seattle.voip.ms shouldn't work since it would be interpreted as a virtual SIP DID. So iNum is the only way to go?

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
It really depends on your setup. If the intra-network caller are all between different accounts or sub-accounts on different servers then your options are DID, iNum, or vDID. If you the intra-network calling are between sub-accounts under a single account AND all the sub-accounts are on the same server you also have the option of using internal extensions in the format of 10XX (where XX is the extension number you assign under the sub-account's management page.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to verix
As [decx] said, see [Using your sub account internal extension] in the Wiki page that you referenced.

As you said, you could also use _iNum_ but you can only have one per account. Also there is a limit of something like 2500 minutes a month with a Voip.MS iNum, I don't remember the exact number. That being said, using iNum can be a good way to go.

hwittenb

join:2003-12-20
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to verix
In addition to techniques mentioned above, you can also sometimes call a voip.ms sub account by sip uri.

The voip.ms "Sub Accounts" --> "Manage SubAccount" --> "Internal Extension" --> "Edit" says:

"Additionally, this internal extension can also be used as an external SIP URI. For example, if your extension is 2, you could be reached directly via SIP from another network with a URI like this: xxxxxx2@houston.voip.ms (Replace houston.voip.ms by the server you are registered to, and the 2 by your internal extension [and the xxxxxx by your account number])

With my tests, this works when calling from an IPKall DID, from a CallCentric phone book entry, from one of the SipBroker numbers (*9782+), but is rejected when I call from one of my ata's speed dials.

This is in addition to the Virtual DID offering by voip.ms which can be routed as a DID but is not without a small charge

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to verix
I am pretty sure that you used to have to have funds in your voip.ms account. I think this was discussed some time ago, so it may have changed. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to test it.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by crazyk4952:

I am pretty sure that you used to have to have a funds in your voip.ms account.

For an iNum, yes.
»www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpos···unt=2026

And IIRC for some other services as well.

verix

Oakland, CA
reply to verix
Initially, I was thinking of an account-to-account scenario as I have a personal account with funds. But as you all explained, I could login to my mom's main account and dial their extensions. Nice! I'll try all methods (iNum, extensions, ported DIDs) and report any difference in call quality.

said by hwittenb:

With my tests, this works when calling from an IPKall DID, from a CallCentric phone book entry, from one of the SipBroker numbers (*9782+), but is rejected when I call from one of my ata's speed dials.

This sounds like an intentional loophole, and I wish I'd known this before ordering a virtual SIP DID to forward calls to from the previous carrier. Oh well!

Many thanks to everyone here. This forum always delivers the goods.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to verix

Does the current topic cover calls made through external channels (aka PSTN), or do we HAVE to use the SIP URI method to make the free calling work between VOIP.MS customers ?

Are we talking about the same sort of functionality as mentioned HERE :

»[CallCentric] ANTI-SPOOFING Behaviour

verix

Oakland, CA
said by Davesnothere:

Does the current topic cover calls made through external channels (aka PSTN), or do we HAVE to use the SIP URI method to make the free calling work between VOIP.MS customers ?

That would imply inter-network calling which was not my intention. But your thread was an interesting read.

Just for fun, I tried directly calling the numbers of the virtual SIP and extension SIP URI, on different and same voip.ms servers. All of the calls failed.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by verix:

Just for fun, I tried directly calling the numbers of the virtual SIP and extension SIP URI, on different and same voip.ms servers. All of the calls failed.

Not surprising. Direct dialing of SIP URI doesn't work on Voip.ms. To dial SIP URIs reliably you need to setup the URI under the config menu and dial via a speed dial.