Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Re: Christmas lights power questions..

Thanks everyone so far.

The snow men are NOT LED, it's just a normal tiny 7w bulb.
It does have a tiny fuse on the socket plug, so is it still bad that I trimmed it?

Now I also have raindeer heads that are LED, it has a normal Christmas plug at the end, can I take an extension cord and trim that and plug it into the Christmas lights since both ends are the same?

Also I have a tool that tells me what one is the HOT wire, so can't I just make sure I plug it into the hot?( part I trimmed off?)

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by SuperNet:

The snow men are NOT LED, it's just a normal tiny 7w bulb.
It does have a tiny fuse on the socket plug, so is it still bad that I trimmed it?

Yes - the fuse is not going to do anything to eliminate the shock hazard.

A properly polarized screw based socket has neutral wired to the threads and hot to the center contact. This arraignment minimizes shock/electrocution hazard. If bulb is unscrewed while powered and something touches the threads the threads are a zero voltage relative to local ground so there is no shock hazard.

/tom

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to SuperNet

MVM

to SuperNet
The "part" you trimmed off is on the neutral blade. As already discussed, it's really not a good idea to defeat the polarity protection. which is a part of the UL listing.

God forbid you have a fire, or somebody gets injured or worse, and the insurance investigator discovers your "modification" to the plug... you can kiss your coverage goodbye.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to SuperNet

to SuperNet
It's not the end of the world. Just make sure the one you trimmed goes into the wide slot.
raythompsontn
join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN

raythompsontn to jack b

to jack b
said by jack b:

God forbid you have a fire, or somebody gets injured or worse, and the insurance investigator discovers your "modification" to the plug... you can kiss your coverage goodbye.

Insurance will not voided because of trimming the plug. That is a myth that when someone modifies wiring in their house and the wiring is not code compliant, the house burns, insurance is denied. Insurance claims are not denied because of something stupid. Insurance claims are denied when the damage is done intentionally to get an insurance claim.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

+1 Absolutely correct

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to raythompsontn

to raythompsontn
Here in Quebec, it's so strict that it even becomes UNSAFE. You technically can't do more than change a light bulb if you aren't a licensed electrician. What it means is those who want to do some DIY work won't even be able to pay for an inspection, so it will go uninspected.

I think there is a difference between if a fire/damage was caused by unlicensed electrical work that is up to code vs. not up to code.

I can see an insurance company going to court against the home owner if a fire was started, for example, because an extension cord was used as wiring behind a wall.

Now if there was DIY/unlicensed wiring done, but it was up to code, and it caught fire because of a faulty breaker (but proper amperage rating), then that's another story.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to Bob4

to Bob4
if he had to trim it, there is no wide slot where he's trying to plig it in.