how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

Hydro Pole in the middle of Quebec hwy frustrates motorists!

»news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/20···-uproar/

Some how a highway construction crew and quebec hydro utility had a miscommunication which left a Hydro pole almost in the centre lane of a quebec highway. the photo looks photoshopped but trust me, its real. check the link for more
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
But it teaches people some driving skills!

In an area near where I live, they slightly enlarged the street, but the electrical poles running parallel to the street suddenly got to be in between the sidewalk and the street. Quite annoying especially considering the street is still pretty narrow.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Paolo
I love how they put an x on the pole.
X marks the spot for your bumper...

Truthfully they could put in a median and widen the road at the spot so it is less of an issue, but the proper thing to do would be to put pole on either side of the road and take out the pole in the middle.

In the end since these guys are related to the french (I lived in canada for 7 years) the pole will remain until someone drunkenly plows into it at a high rate of speed at 3 in the morning.

Oh yeah we should move that pole now....

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
actually, after the hydro pole news made the front page of the national post, it mysteriously disappeared the next day.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Aranarth
said by Aranarth:

In the end since these guys are related to the french (I lived in canada for 7 years) the pole will remain until someone drunkenly plows into it at a high rate of speed at 3 in the morning.

Oh yeah we should move that pole now....

More like: It's broken, let's finance a 3MM$ 5 year research project on what to do.

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to Paolo
A newer updated picture at the same location should be posted then..
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Paolo
I guess not any worse then seeing a sign for years to tell motorists of a "bump" in the road and never fixing it.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to Paolo
This happened to us in Annapolis last year. One of our county roads was expanded from 4 to 6 lanes, and during the process one of Verizon's poles ended up in the middle of the new lane. The county and Verizon bickered until the pole ended up on the front page of the local paper.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Paolo
This usually occurs when the city/county/whatever wants to build or expand a roadway in X location. They expect the utility to move the pole and simply eat the costs, but the utility company wants to be paid for the expense of moving the pole. Neither party can agree, and you end up with a situation like the one in the picture.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Paolo
»news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/20···-uproar/
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

resare

join:2012-11-07
Greenfield Park, QC
reply to alkizmo
ste-Genevieve, and also Pointe-Claire village....looks awful
!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

but the utility company wants to be paid for the expense of moving the pole.

Hydroquebec (utility company for Quebec) gets the land under their pole paths registered as a right of servitude. They basically can do whatever they want on it, so they can refuse to get out of the way for the municipality. Hence the municipality should foot the bill because otherwise they won't get collaboration from Hydroquebec.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
said by alkizmo:

said by TheMG:

but the utility company wants to be paid for the expense of moving the pole.

Hydroquebec (utility company for Quebec) gets the land under their pole paths registered as a right of servitude. They basically can do whatever they want on it, so they can refuse to get out of the way for the municipality. Hence the municipality should foot the bill because otherwise they won't get collaboration from Hydroquebec.

exactly in my town they wanted HQ to move poles to behind businesses on one street, AND assume the cost of modifying the service entrances on the buildings. Didnt happen

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

In an area near where I live, they slightly enlarged the street, but the electrical poles running parallel to the street suddenly got to be in between the sidewalk and the street. Quite annoying especially considering the street is still pretty narrow.

That's the normal location (between street and sidewalk) around here.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

That's the general location here also. Between the street and sidewalk along with all the street signs.
Expand your moderator at work

telco_mtl

reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Hydro Pole in the middle of Quebec hwy frustrates motorists!

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by alkizmo:

That's the general location here also. Between the street and sidewalk along with all the street signs.

but in quebec we dont have grass between our sidewalks and road, snow clearing would be impossible, road plow pushes to the side, sidewalk plow pushes toward the street creates a nice snowbank that the snow blower picks up later

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Jack_in_VA
In Quebec, they put the sidewalk right next to the street (no stretch of grass in between), so they can clear the snow easier; The city clears the sidewalks.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Makes sense since Quebec is snowed in most of the year and the citizens have fled to Florida for the winter.

telco_mtl

said by Jack_in_VA:

Makes sense since Quebec is snowed in most of the year and the citizens have fled to Florida for the winter.

mid december to early march, we arent quite like the arctic lol

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

In Quebec, they put the sidewalk right next to the street (no stretch of grass in between), so they can clear the snow easier; The city clears the sidewalks.

Well that is usually up to the budget and to the vote.

For example, in my area of Quebec we had the option (it was mailed to people). Each person put an "X" is they wanted the sidewalk-grass-road one, or just a simple sidewalk.

Putting in useless grass for only the "look", as I reasoned would cause the city to expropriate and extra 2-3 feet from the people who would be affected. So I voted for a plain sidewalk.

Plain sidewalk won, BTW. Guess other people reasoned the same.

telco_mtl

said by hm :

said by Bob4:

Well that is usually up to the budget and to the vote.

For example, in my area of Quebec we had the option (it was mailed to people). Each person put an "X" is they wanted the sidewalk-grass-road one, or just a simple sidewalk.

Putting in useless grass for only the "look", as I reasoned would cause the city to expropriate and extra 2-3 feet from the people who would be affected. So I voted for a plain sidewalk.

Plain sidewalk won, BTW. Guess other people reasoned the same.

but also for practicality, the places that i have seen the strip of grass going on, that strip of grass takes a beating in winter

yeah

@videotron.ca
said by telco_mtl:

but also for practicality, the places that i have seen the strip of grass going on, that strip of grass takes a beating in winter

That too.

It does look all prettier in the summer though. But I don't see the practical side to it at all.

telco_mtl

in my town they tried it, and the tractor tracks from the snow clearing were starting to disapear by july... just in time for the grass to turn brown
they grass strips were removed maybe 4 years later

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
My street has no sidewalks (it's a little residential cul-de-sac street).

So in winter, when the city plows the streets, or the driveway snow removal trucks clear the snow, it all ends up on the edge of our lawns.

Then in summer, it floods the grass with very very salty dirty water. Yum.

telco_mtl

thats why when i shovel my driveway i shovel TOWARDS my neighbor on the left, when the plow comes by he gets my snow in his driveway

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Paolo
a one up to the crazy that is a telephone pole in the street...

Newtown CT has a flag pole in the middle of an intersection with no island around it. is pretty much a landmark of the town to the point its used in direction giving.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

telco_mtl

reply to Paolo
tiger stadium had a flag pole in the warning track!

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Paolo
You guys think an electric pole in the middle of the road is bad, try a house:

»abcnews.go.com/International/wir···LQOOe-uY

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV