All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Pauly

to Pauly

Re: Hydro Pole in the middle of Quebec hwy frustrates motorists!

But it teaches people some driving skills!

In an area near where I live, they slightly enlarged the street, but the electrical poles running parallel to the street suddenly got to be in between the sidewalk and the street. Quite annoying especially considering the street is still pretty narrow.
resare
join:2012-11-07
Greenfield Park, QC

resare

ste-Genevieve, and also Pointe-Claire village....looks awful
!
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

In an area near where I live, they slightly enlarged the street, but the electrical poles running parallel to the street suddenly got to be in between the sidewalk and the street. Quite annoying especially considering the street is still pretty narrow.

That's the normal location (between street and sidewalk) around here.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

That's the general location here also. Between the street and sidewalk along with all the street signs.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

In Quebec, they put the sidewalk right next to the street (no stretch of grass in between), so they can clear the snow easier; The city clears the sidewalks.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by alkizmo:

That's the general location here also. Between the street and sidewalk along with all the street signs.

but in quebec we dont have grass between our sidewalks and road, snow clearing would be impossible, road plow pushes to the side, sidewalk plow pushes toward the street creates a nice snowbank that the snow blower picks up later

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
Makes sense since Quebec is snowed in most of the year and the citizens have fled to Florida for the winter.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by Jack_in_VA:

Makes sense since Quebec is snowed in most of the year and the citizens have fled to Florida for the winter.

mid december to early march, we arent quite like the arctic lol

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Bob4

Anon

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

In Quebec, they put the sidewalk right next to the street (no stretch of grass in between), so they can clear the snow easier; The city clears the sidewalks.

Well that is usually up to the budget and to the vote.

For example, in my area of Quebec we had the option (it was mailed to people). Each person put an "X" is they wanted the sidewalk-grass-road one, or just a simple sidewalk.

Putting in useless grass for only the "look", as I reasoned would cause the city to expropriate and extra 2-3 feet from the people who would be affected. So I voted for a plain sidewalk.

Plain sidewalk won, BTW. Guess other people reasoned the same.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by hm :

said by Bob4:

Well that is usually up to the budget and to the vote.

For example, in my area of Quebec we had the option (it was mailed to people). Each person put an "X" is they wanted the sidewalk-grass-road one, or just a simple sidewalk.

Putting in useless grass for only the "look", as I reasoned would cause the city to expropriate and extra 2-3 feet from the people who would be affected. So I voted for a plain sidewalk.

Plain sidewalk won, BTW. Guess other people reasoned the same.

but also for practicality, the places that i have seen the strip of grass going on, that strip of grass takes a beating in winter

yeah
@videotron.ca

yeah

Anon

said by telco_mtl:

but also for practicality, the places that i have seen the strip of grass going on, that strip of grass takes a beating in winter

That too.

It does look all prettier in the summer though. But I don't see the practical side to it at all.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

in my town they tried it, and the tractor tracks from the snow clearing were starting to disapear by july... just in time for the grass to turn brown
they grass strips were removed maybe 4 years later

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

My street has no sidewalks (it's a little residential cul-de-sac street).

So in winter, when the city plows the streets, or the driveway snow removal trucks clear the snow, it all ends up on the edge of our lawns.

Then in summer, it floods the grass with very very salty dirty water. Yum.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

thats why when i shovel my driveway i shovel TOWARDS my neighbor on the left, when the plow comes by he gets my snow in his driveway