spc
Search similar:

uniqs
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

guess

Guess the folks labeled rural will need to avoid this unit then.. Those of us that have 3g are badly capped and not even running at full speed....

I want nintendo to make it, but this isn't a good sign for friendliness..

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

I don't understand this.

Wait till the download is done, verify the md5 then apply the update.

What are they doing instead...?

Also about the slow downloads, why don't they just host it on amazon s3 or something...

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster

Premium Member

I don't have a Wii U but I can assure you dropped internet connections and power failures are a fact of life for some of us. Some of it is from infrastructure and others is from using wifi with codes that expire at in-opportune times. (eg, at a hotel)
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

said by MrMaster:

I don't have a Wii U but I can assure you dropped internet connections and power failures are a fact of life for some of us. Some of it is from infrastructure and others is from using wifi with codes that expire at in-opportune times. (eg, at a hotel)

Agreed. Rural internet disconnects happen often. Far more than urban broadband as a whole.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Oh_No to decifal7

to decifal7
But it makes no sense that an interrupted download would brick it.
The download should download 100% and be checked before trying to install. You should not need an internet connection for installation.

As for power loss during installation, the only way to prevent that is to have two boot sectors or roms.
The 2nd boot sector or boot rom would still have fully intact old firmware/software on it that it can boot from if the 1st one is damaged or corrupted.
This kind of backup methodology could have been done for pennies per system and would almost 100% ensure no bricked consoles.
Many motherboard manufactures have two bios chips on the motherboard as a backup just to prevent being bricked on bios updates.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

That what windows does when power or internet is disrupted during a update it stops it at that point it is at and starts from that point when power or internet is restored.

Gruntlord
@teksavvy.com

Gruntlord to Oh_No

Anon

to Oh_No
said by Oh_No:

But it makes no sense that an interrupted download would brick it.
The download should download 100% and be checked before trying to install. You should not need an internet connection for installation.

As for power loss during installation, the only way to prevent that is to have two boot sectors or roms.
The 2nd boot sector or boot rom would still have fully intact old firmware/software on it that it can boot from if the 1st one is damaged or corrupted.
This kind of backup methodology could have been done for pennies per system and would almost 100% ensure no bricked consoles.
Many motherboard manufactures have two bios chips on the motherboard as a backup just to prevent being bricked on bios updates.

For security reasons, they could never use an old firmware image as a backup.