[imaging failed]
»winsupersite.com/site-fi ··· hero.jpg
Snapped 2012-11-21 09:29:02
quote:
w i n s u p e r s i t e . c o m

Jensen Harris Tells the Story of the Design of Windows 8
Change is hard. But sometimes change is needed

Nov. 20, 2012 2:14pm Paul Thurrott

Given the recent controversy around the design of Windows 8, it’s interesting that Jensen Harris, one of the people behind the Windows 8 design recently spoke at UX Week, and that his presentation is available online for all to watch. If you’re concerned about this topic, you’ll want to check it out.

“Resting on familiar is the way to mediocrity,” Harris says, noting that Microsoft could have chosen to simply continue evolving Windows.

Agreed. Watch the video.

»winsupersite.com/windows ··· indows-8

About Jensen Harris
»uxweek.com/2012/speakers ··· -harris/

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Very interesting video. It does a good job to show how things came about for Windows 8.

If you have not watched it yet, I would highly recommend you doing so.

--Brian
Expand your moderator at work

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] The Story of the Design of Windows 8 by Jensen Harris

quote:
"Resting on familiar is the way to mediocrity," Harris says, noting that Microsoft could have chosen to simply continue evolving Windows.

I find it amusing that Microsoft employees arrogantly pawn off this "time for change" excuse for all their mistakes. They could have given us change and what users wanted rather than forcing their idea of what's good for us down our throats.
quote:
His central argument is that while each Windows revision has been familiar to users since Windows 95, people are willing to change if you give them something better.
Unfortunately his argument is irrelevant since they didn't give us something better; if they had, we wouldn't have so many debates on this topic.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger

MVM

said by urbanriot:

Unfortunately his argument is irrelevant since they didn't give us something better; if they had, we wouldn't have so many debates on this topic.

Really, all I've seen are pretty much just complaints and what suggestions there have been, really come down to I like how Windows 7 already works, so I'd hardly call these 'debates'.

I find it interesting that my wife who is an iPad user, likes using my Surface and is spending more and more time using it, in fact I had to setup an account on it for her (something else you can't do with an iPad).

Blake

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

[Info] The Story of the Design by Jensen Harris | More...

• Windows 8 new interface - Jensen Harris

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· _k-L5j3I

• Jensen Harris Walks Us Through the Windows 8 UI
»channel9.msdn.com/posts/ ··· ows-8-UI

• Windows 8 UI vision mockups from 2010
»www.istartedsomething.co ··· om-2010/

• Windows 8: The Boldest, Biggest Redesign In Microsoft’s History
»www.fastcodesign.com/167 ··· rategy#1

• The Story of the Ribbon - Speakers: Jensen Harris
»channel9.msdn.com/Events ··· X08/UX09