uniqs

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[VOD] Xfinity TV Player app update adds offline viewing

While the Comcast Xfinity TV Player app has provided VoD capability for mobile devices for a while now, an update to the app now allows the option to download some content for viewing offline:

Comcast Xfinity TV Player update adds downloads for offline viewing on iOS, Android
By Richard Lawler, Engadget - November 21, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/11 ··· howtime/
Paul F
join:2009-05-15
Portland, OR

Paul F

I was using that app to watch shows on my Samsung Galaxy Note. I ordered an MHL cable that allowed me to display the show via HDMI to my small TV in the bedroom. It worked great until this upgrade. Now the app tells me to disconnect the external source before it will let me view the show. This really sucks and I have no clue why they would do this. Do they think I would record the MHL signal somehow?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Paul F:

Do they think I would record the MHL signal somehow?

I don't think it's about the recording, MHL/HDMI is copy protected, I would guess they are worried you'd make your tablet a psudo-cable box and then you'd skip renting one for your bedroom TV. And/or often the content holders themselves stipulate that the content be watched only on the device itself.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

which app is this about? I tried xfinity tv online and it only gives me old episodes like family guy from 2007. The xfinity tv app just lets is play on my dvr.
Paul F
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Paul F

said by mikedz4:

which app is this about? I tried xfinity tv online and it only gives me old episodes like family guy from 2007. The xfinity tv app just lets is play on my dvr.

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· ow&hl=en
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Paul F

to Paul F
This is why you don't allow auto-updating
creilly28
join:2007-05-08
Ardmore, PA

creilly28 to Paul F

to Paul F
I called them about this and they told me too many people were using it and they felt that rather than get a cable box they would use their tablet or phone. I use it in hotel rooms since I frequently travel. It was a nice feature. I wish I could go back to the previous app!!
Paul F
Portland, OR

Paul F

said by creilly28:

I called them about this and they told me too many people were using it and they felt that rather than get a cable box they would use their tablet or phone. I use it in hotel rooms since I frequently travel. It was a nice feature. I wish I could go back to the previous app!!

I have virtually the same setup as a hotel where there is no way I could use a cable box in my bedroom. The apartment doesn't have an outlet in my bedroom. I mainly use a WDTV video streamer. I wonder if there is an app that saves the install apk files so you can go back. Too late now, though.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Comcast said today that its customers who use their Xfinity TV Player app, and who also subscribe to Showtime, will now be able to download Showtime's hit shows, like Dexter and Homeland, for offline viewing:

Comcast lets subscribers download Showtime's 'Homeland,' 'Dexter' for offline viewing
Starz, Encore and Movieplex also supplying offline content for Xfinity TV Player

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - December 13, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-12-13
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Who's Behind Comcast's Video Downloader?
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - December 14, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· lr_cable