All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Arturas
@vanderbilt.edu

Arturas

Anon

Updates are smooth and trouble free with the WII, you?

I turned my WII U on for the first time and she smoothly disabled the default one hour timeout and proceeded to update her software via my wi fi internet connection in about an hour she was finished. No strain. No pain. No brick. Netflix worked beautifully and the whole thing worked better than my PS/3 experience when I spend more than that time updating that console by using a PC and copying the updates to a USB thumbdrive then spending almost an hour updating the PS/3's sofeware only to find the web browser was barely useable...so I say this when writing about my WII U experience to put things back into real world perspectvie, all consoles need updates and my Ps/3 needed one right off the bat also and frankly it's operation could never reach the polished presentation and operation of the menu or the WII U's wonderful web browser, have you tried that yet? It even centers embedded videos in the new controller screen and plays them without a hitch. This
WII U is just amazing...this from a ps/3 and xbox 360 owner.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak

Premium Member

That is a nice breakdown of your experience.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Arturas

Premium Member

to Arturas
said by Arturas :

so I say this when writing about my WII U experience to put things back into real world perspectvie, all consoles need updates and my Ps/3 needed one right off the bat also and frankly it's operation could never reach the polished presentation and operation...

I disagree! My NES has never needed a patch.

Arturas
@vanderbilt.edu

Arturas

Anon

Point well taken. Back then the machines only played games and never needed updates but you simply raised the lid, dropped in the disk and pushed a button. Now we expect them to control our TV, play games, movies, browse the internet and find us a friend or two thousand. Fortunately, the next gen WII U is very much able to do this. Having both other consoles, I am loath to return them as they quickly have become dinosaurs. There, I said it, the ps/3 and xbox are dinosurs compared to the WII U. Use a WII U for a day and you will agree.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

2 edits

r81984 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

said by Arturas :

so I say this when writing about my WII U experience to put things back into real world perspectvie, all consoles need updates and my Ps/3 needed one right off the bat also and frankly it's operation could never reach the polished presentation and operation...

I disagree! My NES has never needed a patch.

When the japanese NES (Famicom) was released it was glitchy and nintendo had to fix the problems, recall the system, and replace everyones consoles.
Two years later when the US version released they had all the bugs worked out.
Any "fixes" that were needed were programmed on the game catridges.
On the NES they also used chips in the cartridge and memory mappers to allow you do things the NES itself was not capable of doing.
They would have no choice but to program around any system software issues basically with "hacks" to make things work right. Game testing was very important.

When CD systems came out like playstation then they went to having patches that loaded with the CD since they had no hardware solution in a cartridge to fix issues.
Still full testing was very important as you needed all the bugs worked out before releasing the game.

Now-a-days they can start manufacturing hardware 6 months to a year in advanced before they have a final release software on the console.
Then when you first plug it in, you have to update to the final software.
Instead of them giving you a CD to update they force you to do it over the internet as it is cheaper for them.
Now they dont have to test as much since they can just patch it later when customers find the problems for them.
The game programmers dont necessary have to program around glitches if they can get the console manufacture to fix the firmware in the console before they release the game.