Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel

join:2001-03-31
Not on map

Electrial question

I have a Regent work light that uses a 500 watt bulb, 4.2 amp. The electrical cord is damaged. I have a spare 18 ga 25' spare cord, can I safely replace the damaged cord with the spare that I have? Or do I need to just go buy at least a 14 ga cord? Only use the light occasionally.

Thanks in advance.
--
"I can resist everything-except temptation"

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

You're fine with that cord with that light.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Pistol Pete

For a 500 Watt light I would also check the temperature rating of the power cord. 14 gauge conductors are fine for the current requirements but the insulation may not withstand the heat of the light itself.

That may be less of a concern with Regent CoolTouch lights (I'm not sure).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel

Not on map
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

You're fine with that cord with that light.

I will use my spare cord
--

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

Use the same type / size cord the manufacturer had on there. There are scores of types of cord. Some are OK, some are not.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1

+1 Agree. The manufacturers put a particular cord on the lights for a reason.

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

said by Jack_in_VA:

+1 Agree. The manufacturers put a particular cord on the lights for a reason.

For low cost.
Use silicone jacket cord if you can find one.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel

Not on map
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Use the same type / size cord the manufacturer had on there. There are scores of types of cord. Some are OK, some are not.

The light was given to be because of the damaged cord, cord had no visible markings.

The spare cord that I have came off a small submersible pump, 18 ga. 3 wire. Probably need to get a new 14 ga. 3 wire cord.

Thanks for replies.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

Are you sure the original cord is just a heavier duty 16 gauge? You said it has no markings.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel

Not on map

said by Jack_in_VA:

Are you sure the original cord is just a heavier duty 16 gauge? You said it has no markings.

I'm not sure what the original cord was, as I said it was damaged & had no markings, even the plug was damaged.

The sticker on light states: 500 watt max, 4.2 amps.
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by Pistol Pete:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I'm not sure what the original cord was, as I said it was damaged & had no markings, even the plug was damaged.

The sticker on light states: 500 watt max, 4.2 amps.

Personally I'd go to HD and buy one of those orange or green extension cords 16/3 whatever length like 25' cut the female plug off and wire it into the light. You're only putting a 4.2 amp max load on it.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to public

said by public:

Use silicone jacket cord if you can find one.

That is correct. Silicone jacketed power cords tend to have much higher temperature ratings then plain rubber or PVC cords.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Pistol Pete

I just looked at the Canadian Electrical Code (If you're in the US, I'm sure the NEC has similar rules - the CEC is a close copy of the NEC), which says that 18 gauge flexible cord with 2 current-carrying conductors is good up to 10A if it's one of these types: NISPT-1, NISPT-2, SV, SVO, SVOO, SJ, SJO, SJOO, SJOW, SJOOW, S, SO, SOO, SOW, SOOW, SPT-1, SPT-2, SPT-3, SVT, SVTO, SVTOO, SJT, SJTO, SJTOO, ST, STO, STOO, SJTW, SJTOW, SJTOOW, STW, STOW, STOOW.

Also 10A max for these types (which are listed separately): HSJ, HSJO, HSJOO, HPN

This comes from Table 12 of the CEC.

18 gauge is plenty for just a light. If the light has outlets in it (like some work lights do), that's a different story.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

Some of you guys are missing the point. THere are two things to consider when designing a cord for appliances and especially lamps. The first is the gauge of the wire. The lamp is 4.2 amps. Its a continuous load. 4.2A x 125% = 5.25A. The gauge of the wire must support 5.25 amps. 18 awg is fine. If you decide to go with a cord longer than 6 feet, then I suggest upsizing to 16 awg to compensate for voltage drop.

The second thing to consider is more concerning. Its the heat rating of the insulation of the wire. Problem is, you don't know what heat rating the insulation must meet because you didn't design & test the lamp. Because of that, I strongly recommend that a high heat insulation is selected. As public and leibold recommended, use a silicone jacketed and insulated cord. Standard SO cord and extension cords are not going to cut it. They are not designed to handle heat loads.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Pistol Pete

The debate on this goes on and on. I recommend maybe 2 things.

1. Trash the light and buy a new one at HD or Lowes.

2. Extension cords extra heavy duty

The product below should satisfy those who have concerns about the effects of a 4 amp load causing a lot of heat and the heat rating of the cord

Product Description

10/3c Extra Heavy Duty Extension Cords Indoor/Outdoor Rated

Cord Size/Type

10/3c SJTW Yellow

Plug/Connector Configuration
Clear 5-15P to 5-15C with LED

Voltage Rating
125 Volt Amperage Rating 15 Amps

Max Power Rating 1875 Watts

Temperature Rating -40 Deg C to +105 Deg C

Application
Extra Heavy Duty Indoor/Outdoor Extension Cord for Use With Power Tools, Lighting and Appliances.

Safety Approvals
UL Listed & CSA Approved