All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
opinionmine
join:2006-03-10

opinionmine

Picture aspect in 3D

With Starz having a free weekend I thought to test out 3D on a new plasma by watching their 3D on demand.

Unfortunately I discovered that the picture aspect in all the 3D material leaves black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. Afraid of the possible IR and burn in possibilities in this very new TV, I'd like to know if there are any setting on the FIOS STB that would cause the picture to fill in, eliminating the black bars.

Thanks
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

The place to adjust for this is generally in your TV's zoom (aspect) section.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

PJL to opinionmine

to opinionmine
I don't think permanent burn in on a new, high quality plasma is a problem these days, especially after your plasma's recommended break-in period is over. Do a web search for "plasma tv burnin" and you'll get links that describe what is now being done to mitigate burn in effects. I have a three-year old Panasonic plasma and have never experienced a problem from either the "black bars" or station logos or tickers.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy

I have a 2011 VT30 plasma and it definitely has image retention...not really noticable except against an all white background but the problem is not a thing of the past...if you watch a lot of ESPN or other stations with a static logo then you still need to be careful...I have the ESPN logo retained on the bottom right of the screen...might go away after awhile but since I watch a lot of that channel there's no time for it to disappear completely
Reyr
join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE

Reyr to opinionmine

to opinionmine
I have a 2011 plasma 3d from LG and though I will only get temporary retention of images. If it's noticeable I just wash it. It's usually found in the menu settings for display. After having had a plasma after having lcd and led...I think I may stick to Plasma. Picture is just better and don't get the fake look you get when using the "smoothing" dejudder tools and what not you get with the 120 and 240 mhz led/lcds.
I've watched 3D both on Starz and HBO and have never had any black bars on top or bottom of picture. PQ is usually way better in 3D too. Make sure you have your TV set to Just Scan as opposed to 16:9 or some other aspect ratio.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to opinionmine

Premium Member

to opinionmine
said by opinionmine:

With Starz having a free weekend I thought to test out 3D on a new plasma by watching their 3D on demand.

Unfortunately I discovered that the picture aspect in all the 3D material leaves black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. Afraid of the possible IR and burn in possibilities in this very new TV, I'd like to know if there are any setting on the FIOS STB that would cause the picture to fill in, eliminating the black bars.

Thanks

Image Retention is normal, especially in the first few months of use. Do not worry about it.

Burn-in is not an issue. Do not worry about it.