J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

[Cable] Need to know the goods on TekSavvy

Hoping someone from TekSavvy can answer some questions and general users as well.

1) What is total upfront costs?
2) Is it true you have to pay for a call to technical? (Rogers told me that a call to TekSavvy is expensive)
3) For Teksavvy: How is service in the N2M 3** area?
4) What should my speed expectation be?

I called Rogers and I am not under contract. I have Rogers Extreme with 120GB plus $5 for another 20GB. I want to stop worrying about going over. Rogers has NO plans on changing their caps, but they told me that Teksavvy is unreliable because they run off of the Rogers network. (interesting)

Regardless, if I can save $15/month and have better service, I'd move. I just am concerned about my 2nd points and how reliable it is in my postal region.

Thx. (Teksavvy, feel free to DM me, I'll give you my address)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

You have to buy the modem (unless you bought a modem from Rogers, not rent) and the activation fee...

It costs nothing to call teksavvy for service thats a flat out lie by Rogers... If there is a problem with the Rogers cable going to your house, teksavvy will dispatch a rogers tech and it will get fixed at no charge.

Speed will be 28/1, right now they're in a battle with Rogers to try to get the speedmatched profiles Rogers released recently.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
We do serve Kitchener, but if you want us to double check for sure, feel free to PM me JenSuisUn See Profile
Expand your moderator at work
dm1336
join:2011-08-07
Scarborough, ON

dm1336 to J E F F4

to J E F F4

Re: [Cable] Need to know the goods on TekSavvy

The freedom of not having to constantly check your usage and restricting yourself from the Internet is one of the best things about not staying with Rogers.

Not sure about your area but I notice that many achieve speeds well above what they are paying for. Speedboost has a lot to do with that but even consistent download speeds exceed what you're paying

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

It costs nothing to call teksavvy for service thats a flat out lie by Rogers...

Funny how indies are being forced to use words like "blue" and "red" to imply Bhell and Robbers, yet Bhell and Robbers boldly lie through their teeth about indies at every turn and nothing is done.

There should be a concerted effort to document that stuff and get them on the carpet for it.

Mike

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
1) Upfront Costs for first month:

Modem Purchase ($99.00)
Modem shipping ($10.00)
Setup fee ($45.00 with purchase of TSI modem otherwise $65.00)
First month of service $46.95
+TAX

I hope you also have a router ready if not tack that onto your startup costs.

2) I don't believe I've seen any crap about getting charge for onsite support with cable. That is a Bhell issue from what I remember

3) That FSA looks like a good mix of housing so you should be okay with a D3 modem. The POI is not congested from what I've heard but local node congestion is probably occurring in some areas if I had to bet. Again a DOCSIS 3 modem is your best bet to circumvent the side affects of that.

4) Speed should be pretty good but I am seeing numbers dip down during peak periods, however, this may just be my area. I have a support ticket in regarding this.

Having the flexibility with usage is key and I couldn't dream of operating within an envelope of "usage fear" that the incumbents are mongering onto their user base. It really is terrible that they have to resort to "usage insurance" to protect you from eating too many bits....lol
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

3) That FSA looks like a good mix of housing so you should be okay with a D3 modem. The POI is not congested from what I've heard but local node congestion is probably occurring in some areas if I had to bet. Again a DOCSIS 3 modem is your best bet to circumvent the side affects of that.

4) Speed should be pretty good but I am seeing numbers dip down during peak periods, however, this may just be my area. I have a support ticket in regarding this.

If numbers are dipping during peak periods, that'll be node congestion, which you'll also see on TSI unfortunately. And Rogers is less likely to give a damn about node congestion complaints from TSI customers.