spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jgilbert1167

@comcast.net

[Asterisk] Asterisk not ringing?

I have a weird problem with Ringing in my Asterisk installation. When calling softphones internally, I get a ringing indication. When making an outbound or inbound call to my DID, I get no ringing, just dead air until someone pics up. I have tried using progressinband, as well as prematuremedia, but I still cannot get ringing to work.

Does anyone know what might be the cause?

Qsig

join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

Are you using pure asterisk or a distro of it (FreePBX, etc)?

Also, which provider are you using?

jgilbert1167

@comcast.net

I am using Vanilla Asterisk. VoIP.ms is my provider. When I use X-lite and connect directly to voip.ms, I hear ringing, so I beleive it is an Asterisk configuration issue

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to jgilbert1167

Are you allowing in your FW / forwarding your RTP UDP port range to Asterisk?

Early media is purely 1-way audio from the gateway to Asterisk, and Asterisk doesn't start sending outbound audio until it completes the call setup.

If you don't have the RTP range allowed / forwarded, the packets will likely be dropped until the call is signaled as being answered and you start sending outbound RTP, thus establishing the NAT / firewall mapping for those UDP ports and enabling the flow of inbound RTP audio packets.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to jgilbert1167

Have you tried different providers, and also have you tried the same provider / account from a softphone ?
The provider may send the ringback tone as early media or they may send just a SIP message saying the remote party is ringing. Or they may send nothing at all.
Also, it may help if you enable SIP debugging in asterisk and watch the messages from that peer.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

jgilbert1167

@comcast.net
reply to espaeth

Yes, in rtp.conf I have configured the start and end port to 10000 to 20000, respectively.

jgilbert1167

@comcast.net
reply to toro

Yes, I have tried connecting to the provider with just a softphone and it works fine.

I should mention that this server is in Amazon's cloud, so NAT may play a role here...I have a public IP NATed to the internal IP and the firewall opened for SIP and RTP.

I DO have the nat settings and externip set, and calls complete properly with 2-way audio. it is JUST the ringing indication that is not working.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:5
reply to jgilbert1167

Do you have nat=yes in the general section of sip.conf or in all of the peers involved ?
Also, do you have canreinvite=no in all of the peers involved ?

Jgilbert1167

@comcast.net

No, I have Nat enabled for the trunk only. I do NOT have Nat enabled for the peers, as they are connected via VPN, and their IP address is directly reachable by asterisk without translation.