dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1

looking for tool for backup to network device

Greetings

I am using Ubuntu 12 on sevaeral machines on my network and wish to setup a backup similar to the OSX TimeMachine.

I have a networked fireproof/waterproof backup device that is accessable to the Ubuntu boxes.

Any suggestions for a tool that will fit this bill??
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Sr Tech
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Valhalla, NY

When usually I am looking for an alternative software for an operating system or package I use this site. Least is gives me ideas of things to look into or try.

»alternativeto.net

They seem to keep a good data base of alternatives for different operating systems.

»alternativeto.net/software/time-···rm=linux

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dellsweig

I've just done a backup over LAN and rsync over ssh might be of interest.

e.g.

$ rsync -avz --delete -e ssh /movie rolf@192.168.1.106:/media/mediabak/

That was for a first-time/occasional backup and rsync can be scripted for periodic backups, for a simple example:

$ sh ./rolf.backup.rsync.command

where the script contents are:

$ cat rolf.backup.rsync.command
for i in `cat rolf.backup`; do rsync -avz --delete --exclude 'default/kykd3xj8.slt/Cache' --exclude 'seamonkey/w1o08opq.default/Cache' --exclude 'lan/handycam' $i /backup/rolf/; done

the backup partition is mounted rw at /backup, and the contents of rolf.backup are the backup target paths, one per line. I haven't got the --exclude syntax right, for some reason, but the backup is effective, otherwise.

We haven't gone to market with the combo NAS/external exclosure/internet device used in the first example but, if you PM me your email addy, I'll put you on our "Notify Me" list. ;)

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Advice in passing: do away with the home-grown one-liner and instead replace it with rsnapshot. Trust me, you'll be a lot happier, and it's less stuff for you to have to write/manage.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig

Have you tried Deja Dupe? It comes installed by default and can backup to a local drive or remotely via ftp, sftp/ssh, WebDav, smb, or Ubuntu One. You can set how often to back up, and how long to keep backups. So you could backup daily, but only keep a week worth of backups. I believe it does incremental backups so if you only add a few files between backups it doesn't have to compress and upload everything again.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad