uniqs
share rss forum feed

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

[VA] Cox activity/maintenance on 20th of month?

Hi,

Hopefully CoxTech1 will find this one and help me out!

I'm working a problem with my VOIP provider. Something is glitching that drops my adapter off the the VOIP servers. I'm pushing that provider hard to get this resolved. We've seen a pattern that recurs and I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...

Is something on the ISP side that happens regularly, or only happens, on the 20th of the month. Something like IP renewal, pushing modem updates... anything?!

Dave
--
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

Nothing occurs regularly on the 20th that I'm aware of. Are you experiencing any issues other than with the VOIP?

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

Thanks, CoxTech1,

Nope, everything else is fine... streaming/web/mail all work without a hitch throughout the voip drops.

I did just enable the logging in my router in case I see something in there if I have have another voip drop in the future.

Knowing there is nothing regularly going on with Cox on the 20th of the month is help.

Thanks!

Dave
--
VOIPo

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to CoxTech1

CoxTech1,

I'm still back and forth with the voip provider... and one of the Hail Mary's they've thrown is to wonder if the there is anything up with my ISP that blocks/restricts/interferes with the SIP, TCP/UDP, ports 5060/5061, etc., to stops the voip adapter's registration process. As the adapter re-registers every 10 mins, and when it fails it retries every 30 seconds, the voip provider reasoned that maybe the adapter is getting firewalled by the ISP.

From my voip support:
"There could be a firewall setting from the ISP to block registration attempts that don't receive a response. Power cycling the ATA resets that connection and reopens the port. Please note. This is pure speculation as I don't not have any data in front of me."

Sounds like a reach (in fact they did call it that) but I figure it's worth passing on their Hail Mary so I can give them a definitive answer.

Dave
--
VOIPo

Ameth

join:2011-07-20

I'm not cox tech 1 but it looks like their support article says no.

»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···00000000

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

Ameth - Yeah, I agree with you... it's totally unlikely.

It is just a shot in the dark that some ISP issue could magically appear on just the 20th of the month and cause a failure. I have little doubt the problem I'm seeing is systemic and more likely with the voip side. Specifically, some server-adapter snafu.

It'll get resovled eventually!
--
VOIPo

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

We're definitely not blocking those ports and the fact that only your VOIP is affected suggests to me that perhaps there's a service or equipment issue related to that. Perhaps something on their end or your VOIP adapter may be experiencing some bizarre issue.

dlarkin_dc

Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI

I was expecting that Cox wasn't holding out VOIP traffic, especially on just one day of the month! Thanks for confirming that.

That it's a regular (like clockwork, on the afternoon of the 20th of the month) tells me that there's something systemic issue with the VOIP service - server end or adapter.

I hope the firmware update they just applied to the adapter will resolve it. I just wait another month to find out.

Thanks for the help CoxTech1,

Dave
--
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~E4500
VOIPo