spc
uniqs
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to Mad_T_I

to Mad_T_I

Re: Verizon Fios: Emergency Alert System Test

I live in the same VHO 3 area that the OP does, and because the VHO is for all of Southern California we do get many tests at various times of the day, and they are all initiated by the originating Governmental agency, not Verizon.

Your premise that "our county (is) at "War' and these tests must be done" is no applicable. The "or what" is that these tests are done to ensure that the EAS works end to end from the originating Governmental agency to the consumer.

I'm curious how you actually were able to count the number of interruptions.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

I have no objection to the tests but 25 of them in one month seems overkill. Granted I live in an area with few bad weather alerts but I've never seen a real warning in 14 months with FiOS and over four years with DirecTV.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by billhere:

I have no objection to the tests but 25 of them in one month seems overkill. Granted I live in an area with few bad weather alerts but I've never seen a real warning in 14 months with FiOS and over four years with DirecTV.

There are likely over 25 entities that have the ability to insert EAS messages given the extensive FiOS Southern California footprint. Although we in Southern California don't usually have the weather issues that other parts of the country have, we do have other events that would warrant an EAS message, like how to respond after an earthquake.
Baff
join:2007-12-05
Murrieta, CA

Baff

In the 16 years EAS has been in effect, I have only seen 1 actual warning message for me in So.Cal. It was about a local fire a couple years back. The recording was so awful that they shouldn't even have bothered. It sounded like they recorded it over a mobile phone with really bad reception. We couldn't understand half of what they said.

All these years of annoying tests, and the first actual warning was still a complete failure.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

Although we in Southern California don't usually have the weather issues that other parts of the country have, we do have other events that would warrant an EAS message, like how to respond after an earthquake.

Last time we had a big earthquake the electricity was out for six hours so an EAS TV warning wouldn't have done any good anyway. My point is that there are too many of these tests.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by billhere:

said by PJL:

Although we in Southern California don't usually have the weather issues that other parts of the country have, we do have other events that would warrant an EAS message, like how to respond after an earthquake.

Last time we had a big earthquake the electricity was out for six hours so an EAS TV warning wouldn't have done any good anyway. My point is that there are too many of these tests.

The electricity may have been out for you, but not for others.