share rss forum feed

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
kudos:1
reply to McBrain

Re: [MoP] Mage thread of Awesomeness

said by McBrain:

The debate between Haste and Mastery boils down to preference really, would you like to cast 6 stack Arcane Blasts almost endlessly by having 40k in combat mana regen at the expense of less Mastery and subsequently smaller numbers from those 6 stacked Blasts, or would you like to yoyo your mana pool by a modified burn/conserve type rotation in attempts to keep your mana pool above ~75%...Mastery stacking will lead to bigger Arcane Blast numbers, but ultimately less casts of 6 stack Arcane Blasts. Prepositioning your Rune of Power, managing your Mage Bomb, using Arcane Missile procs at the best time, and proper use and management of cooldowns all go into it.

I'm so afraid to post this, but because I'm too lazy to look it up because most sites are websensed, what is "Mage Bomb"?
--
»Re: [game] Crazy Game - The Resurrection - Day 2
Corrupt Politician - tmodelt
You may privately message the rest of the mafia: ekster, Rook008 & Kristopher. You win with the mafia.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

incidentally I would be more concerned about the Ret pally doing 26k, ffs you should be able to auto attack more than that

Yeah, she's a casual and was in mostly greens...I'd never played with her before and I think they pulled her in just for free shit.

said by mettachain:

Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

Maybe a little bit...I've been in a pretty heavy spat with some old dude I've been trolling all weekend on a football forum...trying to give him a heart attack has sapped all my energy.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Antonica
said by Antonica:

what is "Mage Bomb"?

Generic term to describe Living Bomb, Nether Tempest, and Frost Bomb.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Antonica
Premium
ahh phew. Ok. Thought I was completely forgetting a spell (and yes, only did that once :P)

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
You just have to remember to Lifebloom

Antonica
Premium
If my first toon and main for the past 7 years wasn't a druid, I'd be scared :P

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to McBrain
back to the topic though, with no basis in fact i believe that arcane is going to be changed a bit to where you will need mastery over haste in 5.2, i say this because they are looking at how RoP is currently working, i feel they don't want to go back to the wrath model of arcane standing and destroying and with higher gear it will do just that, so look for some changes come 5.2, be prepared IMO.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Yeah man, I'm actually going to reforge/gem back to mastery stacking for this lockout that way I can make an honest comparison between the styles.

I'm sitting at 31% haste self buffed, over 37% in a raid. That's good for over 40k in combat regen while standing on my rune. As a matter of fact, the guy that asked me for advice Sunday night asked me how often I cast Arcane Barrage. My short answer was, "Never, unless I fuck something up."
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix
Started to play my level 77 mage again last night. Switched over to Fire spec to give it a whirl and I like it a lot right now. Noob question though... I don't fully understand Combustion. What is the optimal time to cast it?

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
After you get an instant pyro proc is a good time to combust.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Though I'm sure waiting for that proc can have diminishing returns, but a pyro should have the best ignite dot and getting the instant proc should mean there will now be a good ignite dot on the mob.

Arrg vacation is over.
--
»Death Star Petition

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Vinceruos_t
I like frost a lot more.

/runsaway

Carpie

united state
reply to Vinceruos_t
said by Vinceruos_t:

After you get an instant pyro proc is a good time to combust.

So after the proc but before casting Pyro, correct?

If that is the case how does it roll into the other spell that gives you a free Pyroblast (forget the name of it)? Do you click Combust, this other spell, and then, Pyro whenever those two are up and available? Would this be a starter combo for a fight and then lead into fireballs to Inferno->Pyro?

Carpie

united state
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

I like frost a lot more.

Frost is what got him to level 77

Always been my spec of choice as well but I've never given the other two much of a chance so I thought I'd try fire since it is doing so well currently.

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to Carpie
Read up on how combust works. Combust damage is calulated from ignite only. Ignite is a DoT that your fireball, scorch, and pyroblast leaves on the target. The reason why I say to use it after pyro procs is twofold. You just crit with fireball and got heating up proc, you then use fireblast to get another crit to get insta pyro proc. Then cast Pyroblast because it is your hardest hitting spell and generates the biggest ignite. At this point you atleast have a fireball crit, fireblast, and Pyro for your ignite. As soon as Pyro blast lands then you use combust. Now if you cast your pyroblast and happen to get another pyro proc then you need to cast pyroblast again before using combust. Basically you want to build the biggest ignite you can then use combust.

Carpie

united state
said by Vinceruos_t:

At this point you atleast have a fireball crit, fireblast, and Pyro for your ignite. As soon as Pyro blast lands then you use combust. Now if you cast your pyroblast and happen to get another pyro proc then you need to cast pyroblast again before using combust. Basically you want to build the biggest ignite you can then use combust.

Perfect. Thanks, I got it now.

Endymion

join:2009-11-04
Woodbridge, VA
reply to DarkLogix
Ok, I have a typical question...

Is the Darkmoon Relic trinket better than the trinket you get from Shieldwall, regardless of it being 476 vs 496 (I think)?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
depends on spec really

for fire the DMC will give more crit especially if you upgrade 2/2

for frost the haste is better from the SW trink

for arcane im not sure, i need more napkin math but i would think the DMC wins out
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to DarkLogix
for carpie heres a good way to use it

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZNXj6Uv4Y

Carpie

united state
Will have to check it out tonight since youtube is 'sensed. I've since switched to Frost though. It was an amazing increase in dps in the level 80 ranges.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
it will apply regardless of when you decide to go to fire, basically tracking your ignite is vital, but there are some helpful tips in the video for better crisping of mobs
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!