Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium
join:2000-12-25
Charlotte, NC

[TWC] Downstream/Upstream power levels...

Click for full size
Came home friday to a blinking up stream light on my modem. Called TWC, bleh blah...will be out in the AM. Noticed my neighbor had just gotten RoadRunner installed the same day my service went out... surprise surprise.

Tech came out, checked my signals etc.. My upstream power (55dbmv -58dbmv) was way too high...he played with the fittings and all was fine. 20 mins later it goes out again. He comes back... and runs a new line from the box to the house. All is fine again... signals are great! Later that night, the modem started to lose sync then come back. Called TWC again, they sent another tech and this tech actually tested the signal from the box across the street which I am being told is feeding my box and the signals on my side suck. He put in a WO to get new cable runinder the street.. fine...

Today, the treching crew comes to curry the new line from my house to the box...when they are done, my modem Uptream light blinks again. When and if it ever connects, I am back to the same crappy signl levels pre new line...

My question, can actually burrying the line make that much difference in the signal levels? There was probably nothing wrong with my original line in the first place if you think about it....
--
Driving with 2 feet since 1999

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE
My friend had an issue like this with his upstream, turned out to be some module in an amplifier, which took TWC weeks to figure out.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to JohnnyG101
Your dowstream signal is very low too.

Is your modem connected to the first 2-way splitter after the drop? or is there something else between the modem and drop?

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the feedback, the line is a straight run, no splitters etc. I have DTV for TV and made sure the line I am using for Road Runner was a straight shot from the box to the wall plate.

Got a decent tech out here this afternoon...he cut off the fittings that the people who buried my new line used and re did them.

He used his meter on the tap on the street and it never failed to get acquire a upstream lock. He still ordered to have new cable bored under the street and hooked me into my neighbors line for the time being so see if that was causing my intermittent issues..

at this point my signal ranges are within spec so I am hoping this is the end of my daily calls to TWC..
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
said by JohnnyG101:

He still ordered to have new cable bored under the street and hooked me into my neighbors line for the time being so see if that was causing my intermittent issues..

at this point my signal ranges are within spec so I am hoping this is the end of my daily calls to TWC..

Can you post another screenshot of your modem levels?
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Click for full size
sure... down stream could be a bit better but then again, I didnt stare at them before i started having issues so I cannot tell you what they used to be.
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
Both your forward and return levels changed 17 dB...

Do you live in an apartment or condo?

JohnnyG101
Mafiaoso
Premium
Charlotte, NC
No, it's a private house. There are 2 lines under the street that feed a tap on my side of the street for my house and my neighbors. The previous tech told me that on my line, on my side of the street, the signal was crappy. Signal was ok before it crosses the street. There is a order to bore 2 new cables under the street. Right now I am hooked into my neighbors line that is under the street via splitter at the tap on our side of the street. My intermittent issues look like they've stopped. So I am hoping it was just the feeder cable under the street.
--