guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install

That "small" roof sure has allot of shade in the picture you posted, If that is typical your wasting money putting solar there

Also, no way that run from the roof is to code, you can't use "flex" more than 6ft to meet NEC rules
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

That "small" roof sure has allot of shade in the picture you posted, If that is typical your wasting money putting solar there

Also, no way that run from the roof is to code, you can't use "flex" more than 6ft to meet NEC rules

The small roof does get some shade during the winter. Lasts about 2 hours. I'm going to fix that problem soon enough.

If the flex tube isn't to code, then I'm sure the master electrician and the city inspector and the Duke energy field inspector will have something to say about it. If it gets past all of those folks, then I'm not going to worry about it.
ke4pym

ke4pym to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Guess what .... that run from the roof is to code (so sayuth the code inspector, anyway). I asked the inspector about it, in front of the installer.

The conduit is called Liquid (liqui??) tight. And it's approved. Now the stuff they used to run from the small roof to the attic - had that been used, then they'd have had a problem.

Interestingly enough, for all that the inspector was focused on the disconnect issue, he never looked at the load center in the garage.

I found the whole process rather interesting. And I sure thought we were sunk when I heard the inspector tell my installer "I've been reading that book for 12 years!".

I was like, he just called my installer a whipper-snapper! We're sunk! But my whipper-snapper wouldn't let go of the issue. Heh.