Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

Guspaz

MVM

OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

I haven't seen anybody discuss this anywhere else (even WHT), but it seems that OVH's datacenter in Beauharnois is starting general availability. Confusingly, their French and English sites have completely different offerings. Looks like the English site is from the beta and the French site is the new one. Maybe they just haven't finished the English one yet?

Observe:

»www.ovh.com/ca/fr/

versus:

»www.ovh.com/ca/en/

Anyhow, I was looking at their pricing, and it made me do a spit take:

$39/dual core i3-2310/8GB RAM/2x1TB HDD/5TB transfer, after which 10mbit unmetered
$49/dual core i3-2310/16GB RAM/2x1TB HDD/5TB transfer, after which 10mbit unmetered
$59/quad core i5-3570S/16GB RAM/2x2TB HDD/1gbit unmetered in, 100mbit unmetered out

o_O That's basically $0.059 per megabit inbound or $0.59 per megabit outbound. They also have a server where you buy increments of 100 megabit for $129 per month, so that's a bit less insane.

So, umm, this is going to shake up the Canadian (and American) hosting markets something fierce... And it'll be interesting to see what sort of impact we get on general transit pricing in eastern Canada considering OVH must be getting providers to bring in hundreds or thousands of gigabits of transit to Montreal (this is to be the largest datacenter in the world with 360k servers when full).

EDIT: Regarding bandwidth, OVH has about 2 terabits of transit worldwide, they currently have 120k servers, the Montreal datacenter has a capacity of 360k servers, so assuming per-server bandwidth usage never changes (unlikely) eventually their Montreal datacenter would consume 6-8 terabits per second of transit. That's a lot of bandwidth to bring into Montreal...

EDIT: Or maybe not. They've currently deployed 100 gigabit DWDM equipment, so they can put up to 8.8 terabits on a single fibre strand. So no massive fibre build in Montreal, I guess :P

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

Holy crap.

Mike

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Dang....Hope the french pricing / pages make it over to the English side. I have nto kept up on OVH, did they launch in the USA yet?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Not sure. Their English US and English Canada pages/offerings are identical (really, the exact same, except for the language link on the CA page), so I expect that if the reason only the CA-FR page has the full pricing is because the English site isn't finished yet, I guess technically they have launched in the US, just the site isn't up yet?

Sandroid
BSD geek
Premium Member
join:2002-08-08
Anjou, QC

Sandroid to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
wow. That's some good pricing - I wonder how they're pulling that off...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

My guess? Scale. Massive scale. For transit, they seem to have their own global internal network to run stuff through (200 gigabit between Europe and NA) with tons of transit coming out all over the place, so they can route traffic internally close to the destination and dump it into the net where it's cheapest.

For physical stuff, they didn't really do much to renovate the aluminum foundry they're in. From the pictures/videos they've released, they've built multi-storey buildings inside the existing buildings, and they seem to be using extremely high density custom form factors in custom racks (the whole racks and tower buildings are all custom purpose). Kind of like blade servers but with the entire rack being the blade chassis, except custom sized racks too. So there's just a massive economy of scale going on.

derekm
join:2008-02-26

1 edit

derekm to Guspaz

to Guspaz
So, is this lit up now? I made it to the check-out page on an order form.
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
just made an order on the 39$ deal, seems to be pretty good!
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Any link to those videos?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

The pictures of the construction process for their datacenter, I don't remember where those were.

The real-world picture of one of the server towers in the BHS datacenter can be seen here:

»www.ovh.com/ca/fr/qui-so ··· acentres

The video that had virtual cutaways of the server towers can be seen here:

»www.ovh.co.uk/images/vid ··· ?pop=yes

Quake110
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

Quake110

Premium Member

This is just awesome, insane. A server with those kind of specs and transfer... it's a steal!

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

1 edit

TigerLord to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Currently paying 75$/month for something that is half as good.

Wow!

I'll be moving over there!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I'm waiting to see how things go, what the public opinion of them becomes. The prices are definitely fantastic.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
OVH is a decent company. I used them for a short bit. I used ovh.ie. My server was overseas, but was dirt cheap... We are talking $12 a month for a Dedicated Server with Unmetered 100 MBit, 2 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, and more. For a tiny bit more, you can get servers with 16 GB ram and TB Hard Drive's. I was paying $50ish for a server with 16 GB Ram.

It's a pretty awesome setup... almost like VM's but it's not. You can reinstall your server with any OS anytime you want and if your server goes offline (stops responding to ICMP packets) they, as well as you, will be alerted that your server is offline and they will go check it out and try to reboot it and if it won't reboot it, they will boot it up into an emergency OS. It's a very awesome setup they have.

They also have a free 100 GB FTP backup for you to use if you need to backup some data before you reformat your server.

»www.ovh.ie/dedicated_ser ··· sufi.xml

ks
@speakeasy.net

ks to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
I really really really hope they bring the kimsufi packages here (I know in the past they said they weren't, hopefully they have a change of heart.) An atom/celeron in Canada for $12 a month will wipeout the crappy low end vps market here in NA. I'll be first in line if they do.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by ks :

An atom/celeron in Canada for $12 a month will wipeout the crappy low end vps market here in NA.

Amen. I'm paying approx. $40 a month now for a VPS.
said by ks :

I'll be first second in line if they do.

Fixed that for you.

Mike

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to MineCoast

MVM

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

OVH is a decent company. I used them for a short bit. I used ovh.ie. My server was overseas, but was dirt cheap... We are talking $12 a month for a Dedicated Server with Unmetered 100 MBit, 2 GB Ram, 500 GB HDD, and more. For a tiny bit more, you can get servers with 16 GB ram and TB Hard Drive's. I was paying $50ish for a server with 16 GB Ram.

It's a pretty awesome setup... almost like VM's but it's not. You can reinstall your server with any OS anytime you want and if your server goes offline (stops responding to ICMP packets) they, as well as you, will be alerted that your server is offline and they will go check it out and try to reboot it and if it won't reboot it, they will boot it up into an emergency OS. It's a very awesome setup they have.

They also have a free 100 GB FTP backup for you to use if you need to backup some data before you reformat your server.

To be fair, you can do all of that and a lot more with a good VPS. Reinstall your server with any OS, repartition your server, migrate a server between datacenters, access the serial console out of band (dedicated server requires special hardware to do that), etc. A VPS will always, by nature, enable much more flexibility than a dedicated server.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
I haven't spent enough time on WHT lately. Thanks for the reminder Guspaz.

Yeah these prices are wicked. I've been pricing out a system at Limestone Networks but this has caught me dead in my tracks. For about 50% of my previous budget I can get a server that is practically as good.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by MineCoast:

To be fair, you can do all of that and a lot more with a good VPS. Reinstall your server with any OS, repartition your server, migrate a server between datacenters, access the serial console out of band (dedicated server requires special hardware to do that), etc. A VPS will always, by nature, enable much more flexibility than a dedicated server.

Personally I'd rather have a dedicated server and have my own VM's on it. I've used VM's before with hosting providers have always hated the performance of them and my VM would often go offline for no reason. I bought my own dedicated server... Dual CPU Xeon L5420's Quad Core's with 16 GB Ram and 4x 1 TB Drives (4 TB Total) and colocated it in a data center for $49 a month and have VMWare ESXi 5.1 installed on it with at least 10 different VM's running and if I ever device to switch to a new server or my server dies, I can simply copy the disk image and config files over to a new ESXi server. I wouldn't have it any other way Plus having my own hardware, if something should happen or I want to upgrade, I can swap parts out. The datacenter I am in doesn't charge me for most "hands-on" tasks and they'll even do free OS reloads, basic troubleshooting, and free KVM access as needed.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC

julienvf to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I am currently on their beta testing. So far, so good. It is way better than my basic Kimsufi in France I had. I have the 100mbps, core i3, 2x1tb running Ubuntu 12.03LTS and in remote by x2go client.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer to Guspaz

to Guspaz
OVH is cheap but their support sucks. But yeah it's cheap. I have a server with them and I keep it because it's cheap and it's for my personal use, but I would not recommend them for anything critical.

Recently, I had disk performance issues (fsync/seconds very low). They claimed it's normal that an ubuntu server minimal install in KVM took more than 30 minutes to be done. I said no. I found later that their installer don't align properly partitions for 4k sectors. They say this change nothing. Yeah. And proxmox doesn't run properly on ext4/softraid1 (default ovh setup). Now my install time is 3 minutes! They never replied to my ticket after I said them my conclusions...

Oh and many other customers have the same problem I had. This is not a problem unique to my server/installation.

I asked compensation for this issue because they failed big time with my ticket (2 weeks w/o any answers!; server downtime because they failed to change the server on time we agreed; server downtime because the server was keep in rescue by an ovh tech; ...).

They asked I send a letter by registered snail mail. Seriously!
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

I can relate to ohmer! OVH is def. cheap but their support is stupidly ridiculous.

I hav 3 servers with them, 2 of them i7 series with 8tb HDD and 2 HDD failed contained data. There was no help despite of numerous requests. They replaced the HDD with new once after 2.5 weeks and those failed as well. Again down because of that. Their support is a joke!

On the other hand, one my server is 6 years old and no issues. That server my lucky server! Been running rock solid.

But if you want something cheap and don't care about the support, OVH FTW!
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
i picked their offer to build a streaming server with subsonic... perfect for the job, and if it fail, no big deal
danry25
Premium Member
join:2008-05-21
Seattle, WA

danry25 to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to find out who all are you colocating with & how many rack units and amps your using. Usually when I price out colocation it comes out to be much more expensive than just leasing a server.
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I cant believe OVH is not more well-known. Myself and friends have been using OVH dedicated servers for ages ... and yes they do work well and deliver as promised.

Their pricing makes one ponder WTF these other "hosting" sites are doing with all that profit.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
Where are you finding the prices for those i3 servers?

Also those CPUs don't make sense. Intel doesn't make a i3-2310. They make a i3-2130 (desktop) and a i3-2310M (mobile).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I linked to the website in the first post, you can click the link yourself...

It's a typo on my part. Their page has the i3-2130.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

pfak to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
I'm giving them a try, with their $49/mo server. Hilarious that I select English on their client page, and they send me all notifications in English.

After getting a server with them, I notice they give themselves root access on your machine by storing authorized_keys2 in ~/.ssh (at least on the Ubuntu Server image) and provide their own custom kernel that most likely has vulnerabilities.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree

said by pfak:

After getting a server with them, I notice they give themselves root access on your machine by storing authorized_keys2 in ~/.ssh (at least on the Ubuntu Server image) and provide their own custom kernel that most likely has vulnerabilities.

They need those keys to help people that manage to lock themselves out of their server. You're free to remove them, but then you're on your own if you mess something up.

You're also free to install whatever kernel you want if you're worried about vulnerabilities in theirs.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
so you all know they back door thee ssh keys
you can remove them but you wont get support either ( that is the excuse they use )
anyhow its like i said before you can get a US kimsufi for 9.99 that is unlimited 100 megabit

i have a friend give me access to a gigabit box....

i used ot help a friend build up a reseller business when i stopped helping it had in two months built up 80 clients...some even paying me more then we asked cause htey loved the 24/7 ability of service and solving of any problem ....