Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

OVH is cheap but their support sucks. But yeah it's cheap. I have a server with them and I keep it because it's cheap and it's for my personal use, but I would not recommend them for anything critical.

Recently, I had disk performance issues (fsync/seconds very low). They claimed it's normal that an ubuntu server minimal install in KVM took more than 30 minutes to be done. I said no. I found later that their installer don't align properly partitions for 4k sectors. They say this change nothing. Yeah. And proxmox doesn't run properly on ext4/softraid1 (default ovh setup). Now my install time is 3 minutes! They never replied to my ticket after I said them my conclusions...

Oh and many other customers have the same problem I had. This is not a problem unique to my server/installation.

I asked compensation for this issue because they failed big time with my ticket (2 weeks w/o any answers!; server downtime because they failed to change the server on time we agreed; server downtime because the server was keep in rescue by an ovh tech; ...).

They asked I send a letter by registered snail mail. Seriously!

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

I can relate to ohmer! OVH is def. cheap but their support is stupidly ridiculous.

I hav 3 servers with them, 2 of them i7 series with 8tb HDD and 2 HDD failed contained data. There was no help despite of numerous requests. They replaced the HDD with new once after 2.5 weeks and those failed as well. Again down because of that. Their support is a joke!

On the other hand, one my server is 6 years old and no issues. That server my lucky server! Been running rock solid.

But if you want something cheap and don't care about the support, OVH FTW!

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC
reply to Guspaz

i picked their offer to build a streaming server with subsonic... perfect for the job, and if it fail, no big deal

danry25
Premium
join:2008-05-21
Seattle, WA
reply to MineCoast

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to find out who all are you colocating with & how many rack units and amps your using. Usually when I price out colocation it comes out to be much more expensive than just leasing a server.

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
reply to Guspaz

I cant believe OVH is not more well-known. Myself and friends have been using OVH dedicated servers for ages ... and yes they do work well and deliver as promised.

Their pricing makes one ponder WTF these other "hosting" sites are doing with all that profit.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to Guspaz

Where are you finding the prices for those i3 servers?

Also those CPUs don't make sense. Intel doesn't make a i3-2310. They make a i3-2130 (desktop) and a i3-2310M (mobile).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

I linked to the website in the first post, you can click the link yourself...

It's a typo on my part. Their page has the i3-2130.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to Guspaz

I'm giving them a try, with their $49/mo server. Hilarious that I select English on their client page, and they send me all notifications in English.

After getting a server with them, I notice they give themselves root access on your machine by storing authorized_keys2 in ~/.ssh (at least on the Ubuntu Server image) and provide their own custom kernel that most likely has vulnerabilities.

--
The more I C, the less I see.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by pfak:

After getting a server with them, I notice they give themselves root access on your machine by storing authorized_keys2 in ~/.ssh (at least on the Ubuntu Server image) and provide their own custom kernel that most likely has vulnerabilities.

They need those keys to help people that manage to lock themselves out of their server. You're free to remove them, but then you're on your own if you mess something up.

You're also free to install whatever kernel you want if you're worried about vulnerabilities in theirs.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to Guspaz

so you all know they back door thee ssh keys
you can remove them but you wont get support either ( that is the excuse they use )
anyhow its like i said before you can get a US kimsufi for 9.99 that is unlimited 100 megabit

i have a friend give me access to a gigabit box....

i used ot help a friend build up a reseller business when i stopped helping it had in two months built up 80 clients...some even paying me more then we asked cause htey loved the 24/7 ability of service and solving of any problem ....

funny0

reply to ohmer

i used to be help a reseller do tech support 24/7 inside 2 months i brought him 80 clients

funny0

reply to Ree

said by Ree:

said by pfak:

They need those keys to help people that manage to lock themselves out of their server. You're free to remove them, but then you're on your own if you mess something up.

You're also free to install whatever kernel you want if you're worried about vulnerabilities in theirs.

agreed and i created images for all types a clients needs , and people thought we was miracle workers...once i had a prob that was new i'd fix that then create a auto upload sorta like a private sftp that could just pull stuff to a client...

to give you idea of the crazy stuff i can do i actually got rtorrent to work on windows xp with cygwin by changing the parsing in the makefile ....

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
reply to funny0

said by funny0:

so you all know they back door thee ssh keys
you can remove them but you wont get support either ( that is the excuse they use )
anyhow its like i said before you can get a US kimsufi for 9.99 that is unlimited 100 megabit

i have a friend give me access to a gigabit box....

i used ot help a friend build up a reseller business when i stopped helping it had in two months built up 80 clients...some even paying me more then we asked cause htey loved the 24/7 ability of service and solving of any problem ....

There is no Kimsufi in Canada for 9.99$ (only in France). And they are no longer 100mbps unlimited (max 5tb, 10mbps after)

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to Guspaz

They have the most ridiculous network layout I've ever seen. Want you to assign IP addresses as /32 with a gateway on a different subnet.

My mind is full of f*ck! Going to try them out for three months and see how they are, then get their "virtual rack" and an ARIN block so that I don't have to deal with that mess.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

crap...cant sign up as a customer in usa.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06

said by swintec:

Yes. You can. You have to signup at ovh.ie and they will require you to provide proof you live in the USA, such as a drivers licence, photo id, bill, etc. I live in Florida and am signed up with ovh.ie and do not pay any taxes (VCAT or whatever it's called)

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by MineCoast:

said by swintec:

Yes. You can. You have to signup at ovh.ie and they will require you to provide proof you live in the USA, such as a drivers licence, photo id, bill, etc. I live in Florida and am signed up with ovh.ie and do not pay any taxes (VCAT or whatever it's called)

Yes, I know that. That process turned me off to them and I abandoned the sale. Was hoping maybe once they launched somewhere in North America they would not require that type of authentication.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

MineCoast
Premium
reply to danry25

said by danry25:

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to find out who all are you colocating with & how many rack units and amps your using. Usually when I price out colocation it comes out to be much more expensive than just leasing a server.

I use a data center in Oak Tower. There are several data centers in the tower. The one I use is Joe's Data Center (Creative Name Eh?) I'm only renting a 4U slot (My server is a 1U) and is $49 a month for 1.5 TB Bandwidth on a Gigabit port.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

said by MineCoast:

said by danry25:

I use a data center in Oak Tower. There are several data centers in the tower. The one I use is Joe's Data Center (Creative Name Eh?) I'm only renting a 4U slot (My server is a 1U) and is $49 a month for 1.5 TB Bandwidth on a Gigabit port.

I assume you mean 1 Gigabit/Second of Bandwidth and 1.5TB of transfer usage.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

MineCoast
Premium

said by HeadSpinning:

said by MineCoast:

said by danry25:

I assume you mean 1 Gigabit/Second of Bandwidth and 1.5TB of transfer usage.

Isn't that what I said?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

said by MineCoast:

Isn't that what I said?

Nope. Bandwidth and transfer usage are not the same thing.

You said 1.5TB of Bandwidth. You have 1.5TB of transfer usage.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to Guspaz

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Nice!

I'm not worried about the speed now, as the datacenter is almost empty at the moment, but what will happen when there will be many more users in the datacenter...

Anyone has servers in their other existing datacenters and can comment?

MineCoast
Premium

said by Cyborg994:

Nice!

I'm not worried about the speed now, as the datacenter is almost empty at the moment, but what will happen when there will be many more users in the datacenter...

Yes, and I can assure you that the speeds are just as good, if not better (if using gigabit port)

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Cyborg994

said by Cyborg994:

My first test was 85/50, but I didn't think to copy the URL, and then I never tested that high again. Also not sure how accurate this is since the server is in France but I tested with a failover IP geolocated to Ireland, so that's where it tested against.

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC

OK I'm ordering one this week This on will be for preprod, but I will definately look into moving other services from iweb if it works well.

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC

Too bad they do not do colo...

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to Cyborg994

This OVH DC will be a major competitor to iWeb. They are probably quite nervous over there considering there is overlap in the market segment that they are marketing too.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to Cyborg994

said by Cyborg994:

Nice!

I have the basic Kimsufi in Roubaix, France. Chip is a celeron 1.2ghz that can barely run Ubuntu 8.04. I'm switching to this one at 39.99$.

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC
reply to creed3020

Yes definately iWeb will feel the heat, i'm getting their specials on facebook and their clearance special price is almost twice the price of a similar server with OVH.