jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to Guru

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

yes the new setup fee is a drag especially since i'm looking at moving from an i5 older SP to a newer one. i'd likely go with soft-raid as it's been fine over the years for this type of server.

they do waive the setup at least if you commit to 12 months and they now also offer loyalty pricing:

After 12 months rental, you automatically get:
- 1 month free with 6 month renewals
- 3 months free with 12 month renewals

i'll likely get a SYS-E32-1 for $49 or SYS-W35-2 for $60. i don't really need or care about going from 32G -> 48G RAM but the 4 extra HT cores would be nice.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to jmck

Prices are better for sure, which CPU would you go for? Raid: Soft or Hard? Setup fee turns me down.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to singerie3

prices are better than previously, you can now get a $50 really nice server with 200Mbit/sec. sadly i'm still on an old SP i5 100Mbit/sec for $59 and my only option is to rent another server and then cancel this one.

they do let you migrate your failover IPs but I wish it was easier to move servers, especially for someone that's been renting a server for over a year.

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC
reply to Guspaz

It seems that OVH did a revamp of their offer.

»www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/

for the 'cheap server they redirect you to »www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/

price are still good

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Guspaz

OVH replied to my tweet, they say KimSufi will return to North America in one week.

thejinx0r

join:2009-08-20
Kirkland, QC
reply to Guspaz

Re: Problème avec extranet.videotron.com?

Where do you see that?
I see that they have a column for BHS servers, but they are all unavailable, just like the SYS servers were a until yesterday (or a few days ago?)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

Yes and no. What they're doing is splitting their branding in three, and making each brand a separate front. KimSufi, SoYouStart, and OVH.

Unfortunately, they seem to be excluding North America from buying KimSufi (their 2013 lineup in North America did include KimSufi offerings, the "KS" line), which means that their base cost has increased substantially to $49 now.

Annoyingly, they are selling Montreal KimSufi boxes in France, but they won't sell Montreal KimSufi boxes in Montreal...
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
reply to Cyborg994

they have some new servers that have come out today and new pricing. they've also rebranded their basic/entry level servers to a new name:

»www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/offers.xml

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to stig

I am using them to host my main web-based application. Been 100% reliable so far.

I moved a few services from iWeb, but I am still hosted there as well as at Netelligent as well. I like to have a certain diversity of hosters, but I admit that I am expectng to move more stuff to OVH as the price is much lower, and I hate that iWeb is billing in USD, it,s annoying when I do my accounting.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to tatty

Vexxhost's website resolves to an IP in Toronto, managed by RIPE, the european IP authority... They may be using CloudFlare as a CDN for their website, but it's a bit odd.
--

tatty

join:2002-02-23
North York, ON
reply to cs

Their servers and head office are in Montreal. They are a cloudflare partner and use them for their cloud sites (not cloud servers).

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
reply to stig

said by stig :

Anyone using them for critical applications? Need to stick to Canada, trying to decide between iWeb and OVH for a dedicated server.

I can answer your question that way: I'm a iweb and ovh customer. I have a lot of voip and mail traffic and i'm currently switching all my servers from iweb to OVH

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
reply to tatty

said by tatty:

said by stig :

Anyone using them for critical applications? Need to stick to Canada, trying to decide between iWeb and OVH for a dedicated server.

If you don't mind using a cloud server, I recently found these guys and they seem pretty good: »vexxhost.com/cloud_servers (based in Montreal)

They are reseller of CloudFlare and it's a US based company

tatty

join:2002-02-23
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to stig

said by stig :

If you don't mind using a cloud server, I recently found these guys and they seem pretty good: »vexxhost.com/cloud_servers (based in Montreal)

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to Guspaz

Oh my packet loss spike on the one server automatically fixed itself a few weeks ago although my other KS2 server atm is not playable at all as its has constant packet loss. LOL can't win....

Knock on wood my Hetzner server has been rock solid so far. Also found online.net for cheap servers but they need a verified paypal account. Tired to get one but fucking pay pal blocked my cc since I used it to pay for OVH/Hetzner. Retards, one day we'll get a proper Pay Pal alternative.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
reply to mlerner

Dells come in cases. OVH doesn't even have that, so I don't think it's possible, other than as parts. It becomes much less worth while then.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to Guspaz

If HP and Dell can refurb their low end proprietary crappy systems, I suspect OVH could do the same.

stig

@ubc.ca
reply to Guspaz

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

They use custom-built non-standard racks (that feature bare motherboards) and custom form factors with custom liquid cooling solutions, so the resale value of their hardware is limited as compared to what complete systems might be.
--

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to analog andy

I'm not sure it needs fixing, they just need to find some way to use or dump the older hardware, either making an even lower priced leasing option in bulk or dump them on eBay. I'm sure they're still decent for something.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to Guspaz

So I guess OVH's business model needs fixing. »www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea···=1304521

I'm still having the same issues with my server as before. I just got KS2 and gonna do a fresh setup/clone of the KS1 server then run the two and see if the lag spikes happen at the same time.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

And this is why cloud service providers like Linode are a better idea than cloud-priced dedicated servers :P The provider can manage who gets what hardware, and can sell off older stock if they do a migration.
--

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
reply to InvalidError

yeah, the top end KS i5 is basically what the low end SP was but with half the RAM I think.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
reply to rogersmogers

said by Anon80:

I'd take a beefy old server if they were to rent them for a decent price. I long as I have the umph I don't care about the age.

The KS servers are either i3 or i5 with 8GB RAM with 2TB storage (2x1TB in either RAID0 or RAID1) and 5TB/month traffic for $40/month and $50/month respectively. Not particularly "oomphy" but still enough to run a fair bit of stuff.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

They're still selling the KS models, and the word is that they're going to process new server requests for existing customers to avoid bottlenecking people. I remember reading the original French blog about it. Basically they said that their current approach worked up to about 100k servers, but between 100k and 150k they started to notice that the frequency of users upgrading to newer boxes was starting to be problematic: they had no problem keeping up with the demand for new boxes from a technical standpoint, but they had more and more datacenter capacity used up by obsolete servers that they had trouble selling off (nobody wanted the old hardware). This was also probably doing a number on their costs.

They're doing a stop-sell so that they can buy time to work out a new strategy. They haven't really given any indication of what it might be.

I'd take a beefy old server if they were to rent them for a decent price. I long as I have the umph I don't care about the age.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to ohmer

said by ohmer:

OVH are clowns!!

There seems to be more than enough complaints about their European operations so it isn't surprising they've had issues with their DC here.

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

OVH are clowns!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

They're still selling the KS models, and the word is that they're going to process new server requests for existing customers to avoid bottlenecking people. I remember reading the original French blog about it. Basically they said that their current approach worked up to about 100k servers, but between 100k and 150k they started to notice that the frequency of users upgrading to newer boxes was starting to be problematic: they had no problem keeping up with the demand for new boxes from a technical standpoint, but they had more and more datacenter capacity used up by obsolete servers that they had trouble selling off (nobody wanted the old hardware). This was also probably doing a number on their costs.

They're doing a stop-sell so that they can buy time to work out a new strategy. They haven't really given any indication of what it might be.
--

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
reply to marcelm

from what i've read, existing customers can request new servers still by contacting them.

marcelm

join:2006-06-19
Ancaster, ON
reply to Guspaz

Hold the phone!

OVH has recently put everything on "Sold Out". Apparently there has been a lot churn where existing subscribers drop their old servers and pick up new once with more capabilities at less cost.

It will be interesting to see what happens.