Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Frank_IT
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Montreal
reply to Guspaz

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

On ovh routers, its normal to have packet loss, as icmp are not prioritized over the traffic.. but having packet loss on your KS, there seem to be something wrong..

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

That's what I though, they would see that the server was having PL and from reading we can ignore the big PL's All they told me not on HW/Net problem probably software.

What happens is once in a while 2-3 times per hour the game gets a lag spike for a second or two and you can see from the player table everyone gets PL »142.4.208.127/pl-screenshot.png I took the screenshot too early but everyone gets it.

Also I had two install of the game running on two separate accounts and the spikes were happening at the same time on both games.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to analog andy

yeah, it seems you're getting 1% packet loss at your server and not anywhere else (the other major drops are simply routers de-prioritizing ICMP/ping).

open up a support request and tell them you're getting 1% packet loss and show the MTRs.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

No it's not.
I'll note that if you go to the base numbers, it's more like 0.2% (over 3600 packets.. exact drop count not available), 0.4% (over 1775 packets.. and look at that worst ping column: garbage), 0.056% (over 3595 packets).
That's not 1%. I don't think any provider would take action based on that and it doesn't necessarily fit the original profile indicating lag spikes: the pings aren't any more unstable than to early hops in the trace.
I'd suggest you look for another cause.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON
kudos:1
reply to analog andy

So I have had a server at OVH Montreal for the past month to do some testing and development on. Their portal system is quite slick and works very well - rebuild the server on many occasions with different OS's and it just worked, and quite well. Emailed their support team a few times and the response times were really good.

My issue for leaving though is their connectivity to the Internet is very "bursty". My particular package had "200Mb/s" of bandwidth but I couldn't even come close to hitting that on most occasions. When downloading off different sites I would see wild speed fluctuations in speed.

So for me, the price was right (given this was just a test server for some development stuff) and the server worked fine - however, for a production server that has bandwidth requirements I would not want to count on what they have promised as always being available to me.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to Guspaz

I got help from someone on here and an issue has been recognized by OVH. Haven't talked to the players yet but will be on the server today to see if its been fixed as haven't seen a reply from OVH on the ticket.

HappyClient

@termbilling.com
reply to pstewart

That's weird, I have had an unlimited 100mbit OVH server in Montreal since I first saw this thread and it has been consistently fast all the time. It easily maxes out the bandwidth any time.

The only exception was when their fibre got cut. They had severe slowdown for a half a day until it was fixed.

Seems to me the problem is from where you were downloading, not the server.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
Peterborough, ON

said by Anon8:

Seems to me the problem is from where you were downloading, not the server.

I thought of that but tried several different sites including some other servers that are directly peered to their network, and those servers have a lot of capacity in place (way way more than 200Mb/s).

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to Guspaz

From OVH

UPDATE notice:
Our engineers isolated the problem on one of our core switches (core01.dx6) and made some changes to solve the problem. We're in close contact with the hardware vendor to find the exact root cause.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

i haven't had any bandwidth issues with my SP server, it's still on 100Mbit port but set to be upgraded to 200Mbit sometime soon. I have quite a few users all over the US and Canada and it's been rather good. I was previously on TSI and getting really poor performance even with the ToriX peer but I believe that simply turned out to be TSI not having enough POI capacity back then.

for the most part if I get poor speeds to my home connection, it's usually because I'll have users on 50-100Mbit connections downloading and mostly saturating the server. might be worth monitoring things a bit more and seeing if that's the case.

they also have an OVH weather map showing in real time what each link/peer/transit capacity is and which direction, so a few traceroutes could help determine if it's an issue with them or your ISP.

lastly, i think some expectations need to be set with the sort of pricing and speeds they offer (100-200Mbit ports, unlimited). you can't really expect full port speed all the time, but if it does suck with your ISP then yeah I understand, you just won't find anything better in NA right now for that price.

pstewart
Premium,VIP
Peterborough, ON

said by jmck:

i haven't had any bandwidth issues with my SP server, it's still on 100Mbit port but set to be upgraded to 200Mbit sometime soon. I have quite a few users all over the US and Canada and it's been rather good. I was previously on TSI and getting really poor performance even with the ToriX peer but I believe that simply turned out to be TSI not having enough POI capacity back then.

for the most part if I get poor speeds to my home connection, it's usually because I'll have users on 50-100Mbit connections downloading and mostly saturating the server. might be worth monitoring things a bit more and seeing if that's the case.

they also have an OVH weather map showing in real time what each link/peer/transit capacity is and which direction, so a few traceroutes could help determine if it's an issue with them or your ISP.

lastly, i think some expectations need to be set with the sort of pricing and speeds they offer (100-200Mbit ports, unlimited). you can't really expect full port speed all the time, but if it does suck with your ISP then yeah I understand, you just won't find anything better in NA right now for that price.

I'm kind of confused by your posting but think I understand what you were saying....:)

You are referring to reaching your SP server from your connection via TSI - I'm referring to connecting to a server that I had at OVH from other ISP's and also from other colo facilities.

If I compare the performance of a server at OVH compared to perhaps Rackspace.com or servers that I have at Softlayer, the performance is drastically different.... I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Your last line regarding expectations for the price made me laugh. You are correct in my opinion but if I"m paying X/month and told I will get 200Mb/s then why shouldn't I expect to be able to get that all of the time?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

maybe i wasn't clear, i wrote that while half asleep a few days ago. i'm not getting any performance issues to my location anymore at home and my users aren't reporting issues. my server can usually max out 100Mbit either from a single person or a few. only complaints I get from my users is when 100Mbit/sec is saturated from heavy usage.

my only real issues have been TSI related in the past. i have users on Comcast, Rogers, Start, TSI, Rogers, Cox.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

Considering the terms of the service guarantee a particular performance level in and out of their network then I don't think there is anything wrong with his expectations.

marcelm

join:2006-06-19
Ancaster, ON
reply to Guspaz

Hold the phone!

OVH has recently put everything on "Sold Out". Apparently there has been a lot churn where existing subscribers drop their old servers and pick up new once with more capabilities at less cost.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON

from what i've read, existing customers can request new servers still by contacting them.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to Guspaz

They're still selling the KS models, and the word is that they're going to process new server requests for existing customers to avoid bottlenecking people. I remember reading the original French blog about it. Basically they said that their current approach worked up to about 100k servers, but between 100k and 150k they started to notice that the frequency of users upgrading to newer boxes was starting to be problematic: they had no problem keeping up with the demand for new boxes from a technical standpoint, but they had more and more datacenter capacity used up by obsolete servers that they had trouble selling off (nobody wanted the old hardware). This was also probably doing a number on their costs.

They're doing a stop-sell so that they can buy time to work out a new strategy. They haven't really given any indication of what it might be.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
reply to Guspaz

OVH are clowns!!

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by ohmer:

OVH are clowns!!

There seems to be more than enough complaints about their European operations so it isn't surprising they've had issues with their DC here.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

They're still selling the KS models, and the word is that they're going to process new server requests for existing customers to avoid bottlenecking people. I remember reading the original French blog about it. Basically they said that their current approach worked up to about 100k servers, but between 100k and 150k they started to notice that the frequency of users upgrading to newer boxes was starting to be problematic: they had no problem keeping up with the demand for new boxes from a technical standpoint, but they had more and more datacenter capacity used up by obsolete servers that they had trouble selling off (nobody wanted the old hardware). This was also probably doing a number on their costs.

They're doing a stop-sell so that they can buy time to work out a new strategy. They haven't really given any indication of what it might be.

I'd take a beefy old server if they were to rent them for a decent price. I long as I have the umph I don't care about the age.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

said by Anon8:

I'd take a beefy old server if they were to rent them for a decent price. I long as I have the umph I don't care about the age.

The KS servers are either i3 or i5 with 8GB RAM with 2TB storage (2x1TB in either RAID0 or RAID1) and 5TB/month traffic for $40/month and $50/month respectively. Not particularly "oomphy" but still enough to run a fair bit of stuff.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON

yeah, the top end KS i5 is basically what the low end SP was but with half the RAM I think.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

And this is why cloud service providers like Linode are a better idea than cloud-priced dedicated servers :P The provider can manage who gets what hardware, and can sell off older stock if they do a migration.
--

analog andy

Surrey, BC

So I guess OVH's business model needs fixing. »www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea···=1304521

I'm still having the same issues with my server as before. I just got KS2 and gonna do a fresh setup/clone of the KS1 server then run the two and see if the lag spikes happen at the same time.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

I'm not sure it needs fixing, they just need to find some way to use or dump the older hardware, either making an even lower priced leasing option in bulk or dump them on eBay. I'm sure they're still decent for something.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

They use custom-built non-standard racks (that feature bare motherboards) and custom form factors with custom liquid cooling solutions, so the resale value of their hardware is limited as compared to what complete systems might be.
--

stig

@ubc.ca

Anyone using them for critical applications? Need to stick to Canada, trying to decide between iWeb and OVH for a dedicated server.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to Guspaz

If HP and Dell can refurb their low end proprietary crappy systems, I suspect OVH could do the same.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

Dells come in cases. OVH doesn't even have that, so I don't think it's possible, other than as parts. It becomes much less worth while then.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to Guspaz

Oh my packet loss spike on the one server automatically fixed itself a few weeks ago although my other KS2 server atm is not playable at all as its has constant packet loss. LOL can't win....

Knock on wood my Hetzner server has been rock solid so far. Also found online.net for cheap servers but they need a verified paypal account. Tired to get one but fucking pay pal blocked my cc since I used it to pay for OVH/Hetzner. Retards, one day we'll get a proper Pay Pal alternative.

tatty

join:2002-02-23
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to stig

said by stig :

Anyone using them for critical applications? Need to stick to Canada, trying to decide between iWeb and OVH for a dedicated server.

If you don't mind using a cloud server, I recently found these guys and they seem pretty good: »vexxhost.com/cloud_servers (based in Montreal)