Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
reply to tatty

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

said by tatty:

said by stig :

Anyone using them for critical applications? Need to stick to Canada, trying to decide between iWeb and OVH for a dedicated server.

If you don't mind using a cloud server, I recently found these guys and they seem pretty good: »vexxhost.com/cloud_servers (based in Montreal)

They are reseller of CloudFlare and it's a US based company

cs
Premium
join:2012-02-07
Repentigny, QC
reply to stig

said by stig :

Anyone using them for critical applications? Need to stick to Canada, trying to decide between iWeb and OVH for a dedicated server.

I can answer your question that way: I'm a iweb and ovh customer. I have a lot of voip and mail traffic and i'm currently switching all my servers from iweb to OVH

tatty

join:2002-02-23
North York, ON
reply to cs

Their servers and head office are in Montreal. They are a cloudflare partner and use them for their cloud sites (not cloud servers).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22

Vexxhost's website resolves to an IP in Toronto, managed by RIPE, the european IP authority... They may be using CloudFlare as a CDN for their website, but it's a bit odd.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to stig

I am using them to host my main web-based application. Been 100% reliable so far.

I moved a few services from iWeb, but I am still hosted there as well as at Netelligent as well. I like to have a certain diversity of hosters, but I admit that I am expectng to move more stuff to OVH as the price is much lower, and I hate that iWeb is billing in USD, it,s annoying when I do my accounting.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

they have some new servers that have come out today and new pricing. they've also rebranded their basic/entry level servers to a new name:

»www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/offers.xml

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Yes and no. What they're doing is splitting their branding in three, and making each brand a separate front. KimSufi, SoYouStart, and OVH.

Unfortunately, they seem to be excluding North America from buying KimSufi (their 2013 lineup in North America did include KimSufi offerings, the "KS" line), which means that their base cost has increased substantially to $49 now.

Annoyingly, they are selling Montreal KimSufi boxes in France, but they won't sell Montreal KimSufi boxes in Montreal...
--

thejinx0r

join:2009-08-20
Kirkland, QC

Re: Problème avec extranet.videotron.com?

Where do you see that?
I see that they have a column for BHS servers, but they are all unavailable, just like the SYS servers were a until yesterday (or a few days ago?)

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

OVH replied to my tweet, they say KimSufi will return to North America in one week.

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Guspaz

It seems that OVH did a revamp of their offer.

»www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/

for the 'cheap server they redirect you to »www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/

price are still good

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

prices are better than previously, you can now get a $50 really nice server with 200Mbit/sec. sadly i'm still on an old SP i5 100Mbit/sec for $59 and my only option is to rent another server and then cancel this one.

they do let you migrate your failover IPs but I wish it was easier to move servers, especially for someone that's been renting a server for over a year.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2

Prices are better for sure, which CPU would you go for? Raid: Soft or Hard? Setup fee turns me down.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

yes the new setup fee is a drag especially since i'm looking at moving from an i5 older SP to a newer one. i'd likely go with soft-raid as it's been fine over the years for this type of server.

they do waive the setup at least if you commit to 12 months and they now also offer loyalty pricing:

After 12 months rental, you automatically get:
- 1 month free with 6 month renewals
- 3 months free with 12 month renewals

i'll likely get a SYS-E32-1 for $49 or SYS-W35-2 for $60. i don't really need or care about going from 32G -> 48G RAM but the 4 extra HT cores would be nice.

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC

I care, since at 48 GB RAM Vwmare server free is not available anymore... limit is 32 GB.

Cyborg994

Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

They did change their offer quite a lot. Nore more 1.5 gbit/s on new HG servers, and max speed has been dropped on all servers... seems like I will stick with mine for as long as possible.

hsheriff

join:2012-09-04
Saint-Lambert, QC
reply to Guspaz

Seems like Oles' week is quite elastic.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
reply to Cyborg994

said by Cyborg994:

I care, since at 48 GB RAM Vwmare server free is not available anymore... limit is 32 GB.

As of 5.5 this limit has been removed. Not sure if OVH has 5.5 in their install system though.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to Guspaz

OTTCOLO.COM

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

said by rodjames:

OTTCOLO.COM

What a joke. $200 a month for their cheapest server and you only get 200GB of bandwidth? And 4GB of RAM? Yikes.
--

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guspaz:

said by rodjames:

OTTCOLO.COM

What a joke. $200 a month for their cheapest server and you only get 200GB of bandwidth? And 4GB of RAM? Yikes.

lol, exactly! I wonder how much profit they make on the servers?

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

if they manage to rent one lol.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Update on KimSufi in Canada:

<@TheCops> : Kimsufi is planned to arrive in Canada in the Q2 2014.

From »www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/livechat-en.xml
--

edugas

join:2004-03-18
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Telebec
reply to Guru

If i'm not mistaken, there's not a lot of datacenters in the Ottawa area, so they might actually have a lot of local customers. Also last-mile/bandwidth is NOT cheap in Ottawa compared to Montreal or Toronto. You probably can't get 10G links from a Tier1 too. Looks like they buy transit from Rogers Business Solutions *yikes*.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

said by edugas:

If i'm not mistaken, there's not a lot of datacenters in the Ottawa area, so they might actually have a lot of local customers. Also last-mile/bandwidth is NOT cheap in Ottawa compared to Montreal or Toronto. You probably can't get 10G links from a Tier1 too. Looks like they buy transit from Rogers Business Solutions *yikes*.

Rogers bought out Telecom Ottawa a few years ago for last mile delivery and some of their network. I think Cogent is now in the downtown area and almost any major building in the downtown core can be wired up with Cogent for cheap.

there was a thread about it a few months ago here with pricing and details.

hsheriff

join:2012-09-04
Saint-Lambert, QC
reply to Guspaz

Wait, What? I bought a PS-3 Kimsufi in BHS last month, you can still get them here »www.kimsufi.com/fr/

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

Except you're buying it through France in a foreign currency, paying fees to exchange it. It'll be better to buy it directly in Canada in CAD.
--

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to Guspaz

I'm still using OVH to run Xonotic servers from Montreal. The ping is not the best but its a good compromise between NA/EU players.

I've had a few of the servers in the last year. I did have issues with one where it would get PL for eveyone in the game and on different instances of the game servers. I didn't get anywhere with OVH in fixing it and then one day it just stopped.

Ill be getting the SYS-E32-4 can't wait for SSD.

hmm

@videotron.ca
reply to Guspaz

Guspaz (or anyone), what is the best bang for the buck going these days?

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

What are you looking for? Depending on your use case and priorities the recommended solutions and price points can vastly change.

hmm

@videotron.ca

I'm looking for nothing for myself, but the better half is. A wordpress thing for herself. Same with one of the kids.

So if you know of anything decent...