how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to TBBroadband

Re: [Bus. Ops] Hosting Akamai

I thought that they discontinued this service. Do you have a link to share?

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

»www.akamai.com/html/partners/net···ner.html

and here is NetFlix's:

»signup.netflix.com/openconnect

battleop

join:2005-09-28

I looked at the Akamai a few years ago but I was lead to believe they ended that program. Akamai will send you servers so that you can locally "cache" popular content on your network keeping that traffic on your network and to reduce traffic going across your links to the internet.

The Netflix solution is a peering agreement between the ISP and Netflix. You have to be able to connect to them at one of the IXCs they are in and you have to have 2GB of traffic to or from their network. If you are not located in one of the IXCs then it could be costly but then again if you are pushing 2GB of traffic to Netflix alone why are you not already connected to one of those IXCs to begin with?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

According to NF's website you don't have to be peered with them. You can just obtain the server from them, that would be free. They do ask you to be peered and have the server, but not required.

The closest ICX to me is Chicago, but at this point I would just obtain a server from them and connect it to my own networks until being able to peer with them in Chicago. I can obtain bandwidth dirt cheap from L3 and Zayo/Above.net to be able to host the server without a problem.

And currently I have about 4+ gigs running to NF right now in just one area that I service, which is a mid-sized trailer park, which was my first deployment.

My big thing that I need to check with NF on is if my networks/towers have to connected directly to my NOC and to the server or can each one "peer" using their own T1s, etc and go to my NOC. I'm not sure how it really works with them.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

You have 4+gigabits per second just in Netflix? I thought you said your network was small.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

it is small, but i meant 4gigs per week going to NF. Sorry for the confusion.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by TBBroadband:

it is small, but i meant 4gigs per week going to NF. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh ok yea they wont even talk to you for 4 gigs a week.

As someone else mentioned, 50+ megabits per second is a good starting point
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF). The peering is different. And right now I'm not looking to peer with them, just bring content closer via their server appliance.

from NF:

brief summary of the Open Connect Appliance (OCA)

Each OCA is 4RU, and holds about 100TB of content
Each box can serve up to 8.5Gbps of Netflix traffic
Typical deployments are around 5+Gbps (per month)
In terms of steering subscribers to the box- you'll advertise the networks you want the system to serve over BGP (to the OCA). When someone from one of those networks goes to watch Netflix, our Master Control will direct it to the box in your network as the primary streaming server.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

said by TBBroadband:

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF).

I think you are mixing up terminology a bit. You have said gigs transferred, which means "gigabytes". The email you quoted is saying gigs (specifically Gbps) as in "gigabits per second".

If you are really only transferring 4 gigabytes per week, you essentially have no netflix traffic. I mean, that's like a single person streaming one high-def movie per week, or maybe half a dozen standard def movies in the same timeframe. Caching would be a 100% waste in that situation.

But to be fair, it's a total contradiction to say "5+Gbps (per month)". That's like saying "5 miles per hour (per month)" so the email doesn't really make sense either.

So, with some clarification, can you tell us how much Netflix traffic you actually transfer in a month, or how much sustained Netflix traffic you have during peak times? Unless you're talking about numbers in the hundreds of gigabytes or even terabytes of NF traffic per month, I'm guessing that caching will be of little benefit.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

The requirement is 8gigs per month according to the email they sent me (NF). The peering is different. And right now I'm not looking to peer with them, just bring content closer via their server appliance.

from NF:

brief summary of the Open Connect Appliance (OCA)

Each OCA is 4RU, and holds about 100TB of content
In terms of steering subscribers to the box- you'll advertise the networks you want the system to serve over BGP (to the OCA). When someone from one of those networks goes to watch Netflix, our Master Control will direct it to the box in your network as the primary streaming server.

'

Yea as Jcremin suggested, the email states:

Thats 8.5 Gigabits PER SECOND, and 5+ Gigabits PER SECOND.

Quick math shows that to reach 8.5 Gigabits per second, you would have to have somewhere around 4500 customers all watching at the same time with an average stream of just under 2 megabits per second.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to jcremin

After checking the few locations that I currently have customers at (4 MDUs) I have between 10-20gigs per month of NF traffic. That's checking everything from the start until this evening at 7pm.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

Yes that's a tiny amount of traffic to Netflix. 20 gigs amounts to 5-6 HD movies or 15-20 regular movies or less.

A cache will have zero effect. Netflix will not give you a very expensive box for that unfortunately.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca