Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

[Anveo] Problem after port - Incoming call fails from Canadian c

After porting a Canadian DID to Anveo, incoming calls from cell phones do not work. They get a recorded message stating they must dial 1 for a long distance call. Even if they dial the 11 digit number they get the same recording.

I have a ticket open with Anveo and I called my cell carrier and reported the number unreachable.

Anyone with similar problems or have ideas how to resolve?

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

Re: [Anveo] Problem after port - Incoming call fails from Canadi

It's likely something your cell carrier will have to sort out.

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario

What failed in the port process that caused this? Non of the cell numbers can ring into this DID. I only have one cell with one carrier. Do I tell everyone to call their cell carrier?

Bit of a pain.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

said by JJ_GTA:

What failed in the port process that caused this? Non of the cell numbers can ring into this DID. I only have one cell with one carrier. Do I tell everyone to call their cell carrier?

Bit of a pain.

When my customers have had this issue, it often turned out to be that the cell carrier didn't update their switch to know about new exchanges. When your number is ported, at certain points it's basically like setting up call forwarding. Your cell carrier doesn't realize that the forward to number is local (or perhaps even in service).

Once someone hits them over the head with a frying pan a couple of times, they'll get it and things will work.

Are you sure it's every cell carrier? Koodo is the same as Telus, for example. Fido and Rogers are also the same. If one fixes the problem, their other brands that belong to the same company will be resolved as well.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to JJ_GTA

said by JJ_GTA:

After porting a Canadian DID to Anveo, incoming calls from cell phones do not work. They get a recorded message stating they must dial 1 for a long distance call. Even if they dial the 11 digit number they get the same recording.

I have a ticket open with Anveo and I called my cell carrier and reported the number unreachable.

Anyone with similar problems, or have ideas how to resolve?

Verrrrrrrry Interesting !

I have not ported any numbers to VoIP yet (planning to, though), but recently, one of my friends calling me from a local Bell landline (in our same rate centre) told me that he has repeatedly over several days gotten a similar recorded message when trying to dial my CallCentric number using 10 digits (which had worked properly before CallCentric had endured all of their own recent problems).

He did not follow thru with 11 digits, so I cannot report on THAT part, but when he next tried to call my Anveo number, the 10 digits worked fine as always.

I do not get enough calls on either of these DIDs to be able to compare, and have no Bell landline of my own (Heaven forbid !) with which to test.

I have been meaning to open a ticket with CC, but do not regard this matter as urgent - not yet.

I made tests calling from my Anveo DID and my Rogers cellphone, but forget my results, so will have to repeat them and will post an update.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to JJ_GTA

I had similar problem with Anveo - my number couldn't be reached from Verizon POTS lines (people would always get busy signal).

Details here: »Ported Anveo # can't be reached from Verizon POTS lines

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to Davesnothere

UPDATE :

Calling my CallCentric DID from my Anveo DID :

10 digits - CC phone does NOT ring - Anveo earpiece rings twice and then line goes dead - nothing in CC call log.

11 digits - CC phone rings - Anveo earpiece rings - the call shows up in CC call log as 11 digits.

The above part is inconclusive as I had already gotten into the habit of using 11 digits in the past when dialing out from all of my VoIP accounts, as one or another of them had required it.

Calling my CallCentric DID from my Rogers cell :

10 digits - CC phone rings - Cell earpiece rings - the call shows up in CC call log as 11 digits, and on the CID of the CC phone as 11 digits.

11 digits - CC phone rings - Cell earpiece rings - the call shows up in CC call log as 11 digits, and on the CID of the CC phone as 11 digits.

I did not answer any of the above calls, and must also note that some of the calls from the cell continued to ring for several more times at the CC phone after I hung up the cell, regardless of the number of digits dialed (out of 2 tries each way, the 11 digit call stopped ringing immediately only on 1 time out of 2). - I do not know whether or not this was a symptom in the past, as I rarely make such tests.

Have you been able to make any similar tests on your Anveo line ?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit

AFAIK, Anveo follows proper E164 format (as do CallCentric, CallWithUs, etc).

10-digit dialing might work at times, but you really should be doing the initial 1+ (that is, 11 digits).

Of course, with most ATA's and some IP phones you can deal with this in the dial plan.

EDIT: See Arne's post, next.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Calling my CallCentric DID from my Anveo DID :

10 digits - CC phone does NOT ring - Anveo earpiece rings twice and then line goes dead - nothing in CC call log.

10 digits dialing works very well with Anveo. But you need to change your Anveo Account Preferences to 10 digit dialing as the default setting is e164 (11 digit dialing).

--
My VoIP News

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

said by Arne Bolen:

10 digits dialing works very well with Anveo.

But you need to change your Anveo Account Preferences to 10 digit dialing as the default setting is e164 (11 digit dialing).

So you are saying that Anveo most likely stopped that particular call from being sent, rather than CC stopping it from being received ?

I will examine that setting - thanks.

However (also @ PX), I had already been dialing with 11 digits anyway from my DIDs, and this thread's posts were only about my tests in response to a similar symptom experienced by the OP, the commonality their also being a Canadian with a Canadian number.

In this case, I may still need to ask CC why the Bell landline customer now hears that message when trying to call my CC number, similar to what [some or all] cell accounts now hear when trying to call the OP - and the reason could be the same or different in each case.

The OP has had a port-in done and I have not.

= = = = = = = = =

Bell, as you know, DOES support (and REQUIRES, actually, for the most recent so many years) 10-digit dialing to local numbers within a given area code - as do pretty well all Canadian ILECs, AFAIK.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

said by Davesnothere:

So you are saying that Anveo most likely stopped that particular call from being sent, rather than CC stopping it from being received ?

Callcentric was never involved. Let's say you try to call 772-257-4661 without changing your Anveo account to 10 digits dialing. You would be calling Kazakhstan instead of the USA. Prefix with 1 and it will be correct.

It's more than North American 10 or 11 digits dialing. As default Anveo is using e164, which means you have to prefix every number with the country code. That's of course easy with North American phone numbers as they all have the country code 1.

11 digits dialing is actually e164, most people just don't know. Outside of North America it's more difficult as they use 2 or more digits country codes.

I suggest using the default e164, or as you may call it 11 digits dialing. You don't risk calling Kazakhstan or other countries when you want to call a North American number.

Think of it. You might risk waking up a friend of bin Laden in some Asian country by mistake if you don't use the proper e164 (11 digits) dialing. Might not be good with your phone number as Caller ID number.
--
My VoIP News

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by Arne Bolen:

I suggest using the default e164, or as you may call it 11 digits dialing. You don't risk calling Kazakhstan or other countries when you want to call a North American number.

Think of it. You might risk waking up a friend of bin Laden in some Asian country by mistake if you don't use the proper e164 (11 digits) dialing. Might not be good with your phone number as Caller ID number.

Exactly.

My first VoIP was CallWithUs, with a basic Grandstream that did not have a dial plan.

I dial area code 732 a lot, but [7] is the country code for Russia.

So until I figured out to consistently dial the [1], I had some calls going to Russia or perhaps Kazakhstan, because the system was seeing that [7] and routing accordingly.

My grandfather swam across some river around 1900 (so the family story goes) to escape Russia and being drafted into the Czar's army. They probably have us on some kind of list, so I really don't want to make accidental calls there.

As Arne said, proper e164 dialing (1+ for North America) is the default for Anveo, it is also needed on CallWithUs and CallCentric and perhaps others.

Although all my equipment now deals with this by a dial plan, I've just gotten into the habit of always doing it.

-------------------------------------

The point of it is, "local" vs "long distance" is an outdated concept from the POTS world.

In VoIP all calls are of one class (even though a few providers like VP make arbitrary distinctions).

All cats are gray in the dark.

Attributed to Benjamin Franklin, explaining why to take an older woman to bed (also being that "they are so grateful") but appears in John Heywood's book of proverbs (1546) as 'When all candles be out, all cats be gray.'

e164 dialing is world dialing. Whether your VoIP device is sitting in Denver or Djibouti you dial the same way. I think that's some of Arne's point.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to Arne Bolen

said by Arne Bolen:

Callcentric was never involved.

1+

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario

1 recommendation

reply to Trev

I got hold of Rogers and they confirm it is a problem on their side. They said it is a Rogers network problem, which includes Rogers Home phone.

Now to see how long it takes to get a fix in.

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario

Rogers fixed the problem pretty quick.

Now only a lil ol cell from BC to fix.

This is a pain

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

Just an update that the Rogers problem started again and the Rogers techs I have called say not their problem. I guess this is a bad port of some fashion that I will just have to use Telus and Bell lines to call.

Iristel tried to call Rogers. Rogers refused to provide support, asked for complaining customer to call in.

It affects Rogers network only, cell phone, home phone, and I know someone on City Fone in BC with the same issue calling this one specific number. Rogers says yes we see the problem but they cant fix it, only Iristel can.

A fun game of monkey in the middle.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

said by JJ_GTA:

A fun game of monkey in the middle.

I recall PX Eliezer7 See Profile posting contact information for the Canadian equivalent of the FCC in one of these topics. I wonder if they would be able to help?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: UPDATE :

said by PX Eliezer7:

My first VoIP was CallWithUs, with a basic Grandstream that did not have a dial plan.

I dial area code 732 a lot, but [7] is the country code for Russia, so until I figured out to consistently dial the [1], I had some calls going to Russia....

....As Arne said, proper e164 dialing (1+ for North America) is the default for Anveo, it is also needed on CallWithUs and CallCentric and perhaps others.

Although all my equipment now deals with this by a dial plan, I've just gotten into the habit of always doing it.

The point of it is, "local" vs "long distance" is an outdated concept from the POTS world.

In VoIP all calls are of one class (even though a few providers like VP make arbitrary distinctions)....

....e164 dialing is world dialing.

Whether your VoIP device is sitting in Denver or Djibouti you dial the same way.

I think that's some of Arne's point.

The first VoIPP where I seemed obliged to use 11-digit dialing ALSO was CallWithUs, and I was unaware at the time (N00B) that my brand-new outdated PAP2T would support dial plans to let me do otherwise.

But as our incumbent POTS provider (BHell Canada) had 'upgraded' us all to 10-digit dialing (from 7) some years ago to allow more exchanges per area code, adding just one more thin digit (Mister Creosote) during 2011 was not that much of a stretch.

Therefive, the fact that Anveo itself can be configured either for 10 or 11 digits has become moot for me.

Nonetheless, this is all good info youse have posted, and it explains some of what happened in my test results.

Cheers, and Happy New Year !

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
Cyberspace
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

said by Davesnothere:

Therefive, the fact that Anveo itself can be configured either for 10 or 11 digits has become moot for me.

It's part of your personal phone freedom. It's your choice to go for 10 or 11 digits dialing = you are in control.
--
My VoIP News

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Arne Bolen:

It's part of your personal phone freedom. It's your choice to go for 10 or 11 digits dialing = you are in control.

ME in CONTROL ?! - Now THAT could be dangerous !

Could even be KAOS !

JJ_GTA
Premium
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to JJ_GTA

The problem is finally resolved. Rogers figured it out after many calls with the help of Iristel and Anveo.

It's tough when you are not a Rogers customer and you have to find a family member/friend/neighbour that is willing to assist and offer the time sitting on hold getting Rogers to realize and accept the problem.