uniqs
share rss forum feed

kpossible
Premium
join:2003-09-11
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Question about ping testing

I have been told to only ping test using google.com. When I do that, I get around 60 ms. I was told not to use yahoo.com especially. When I ping to there, I frequently get over 1000 ms or timeouts.

This may be obvious to most of you, but not to me. Thanks in advance for any response! AND Happy Thanksgiving!

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..
Ping is just one tool for basic network troubleshooting. You might have been told that pinging yahoo.com provides the type of problems you noted and other sites, such as yahoo.com are "better".

Ping uses ICMP, which has low priority. Some routers will not reply when heavily loaded. And some computers outright reject ICMP, and therefore pinging, entirely.
--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be hosting six Crunchenstein blades, and three Foldinator blades

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Okay, I get some of that. So why is it used at all if you don't know who is not responding and who is? Sorry for the oversimplification!
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

Ping requests get dropped or treated differently if the network is under heavy load. So yahoo will have many drops high times as they don't have the capacity as google, so your priority is last for ping requests behind real traffic, increasing time for a response or dropped altogether.

Google being the force they are can handle so much more data and connections than probably anyone, so if their connections are never getting congested enough to drop ping requests, they go through fine.

People usually say to use google because they are the most reliable. I can't think of any other place that handles the shear amount of traffic as google AND remains one of the fastest most reliable services out there. I mean how often does google services go down, or get laggy, almost never, they are just so consistent that is a good destination to test against over time and expect similar results.

Tl:dr you may get 1000 one day and 600 another on yahoo and it is likely something at yahoo is causing that not your connections. But if all of a sudden your google numbers change, their reliability and consistency is high enough that it more than likely means something on the home or ISP end is causing the delay or drops. Not always, just more likely.

kpossible
Premium
Thanks!

JamfSlayer

join:2012-11-04
Columbus, OH
reply to kpossible
Good IPs to test if you are pinging... to get a picture of multiple providers..

Google Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8
OpenDNS Resolver1: 208.67.222.222
And of course mcafee.com

Ping is not your best test of bandwidth.. Parkut is absolutely correct.

It will just verify connectivity to the rest of the world..

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible
said by kpossible:

Okay, I get some of that. So why is it used at all if you don't know who is not responding and who is? Sorry for the oversimplification!

It's more like... if you get a reply you know there's connectivity. That's about ALL you know. If no reply, connectivity is still unknown.

I must admit I usually type yahoo.com because it's easy. Response varies with the server you get, though. You'll see the IP and times change together.

Ping tells a lot of basic stuff. If it can't find the name, DNS isn't working (so use an IP instead). Ping still remains a good starting point to diagnose a network.

kpossible
Premium
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to kpossible
Many thanks to all who replied! I sincerely appreciate you all taking the time out of your long holiday weekend... Happy Thanksgiving!
--
My father always said, " There's a distinct difference between actually knowing it all and being a know-it-all."