uniqs
share rss forum feed

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to Gone

Re: Cooptel Fiber to the home

said by Gone:

I never even stopped to consider PVRs. A home with two televisions with two PVRs and two regular receivers is going to use 42Mbit/s *just* for television. What's left over for Internet? 8 at most, and only with perfect line conditions?

Either way, IPTV over VDSL while functional and a "cheap" way for the telcos to get onto the content delivery bandwagon is a kludge at best compared to any of the television delivery methods that existed before. When it comes down to it, coax is an outright elegant solution compared to VDSL, and fibre/RFoG is functionally identical to coax.

Many people do not think about that part.. the pvr and speed increase for internet.

I think the same way. it's very limited and if the customer is close to 1km (3000 feets) you can not even consider 3 TV with PVR and 20 Mbit internet.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to XoX

said by XoX:

Also since they are not incumbent if i remember correctly they can offer service only where they want. They do not have to provide service everywhere... They can pick the best spot and go from there.

That's not how GPON deployments work. You have to at least pass every house even if they don't subscribe, so that you can service them if they DO subscribe. The only way Verizon could afford it is because they forced people to upgrade when they did it. Google can afford it because they got people to sign up in sufficient quantities in advance.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

1 edit

said by Guspaz:

said by XoX:

Also since they are not incumbent if i remember correctly they can offer service only where they want. They do not have to provide service everywhere... They can pick the best spot and go from there.

That's not how GPON deployments work. You have to at least pass every house even if they don't subscribe, so that you can service them if they DO subscribe. The only way Verizon could afford it is because they forced people to upgrade when they did it. Google can afford it because they got people to sign up in sufficient quantities in advance.

i did not mean jump a house and go to the next one. i mean a zone like downtown area with lots of business where Bell charge you more for the same or say the east sector of the town because it has the most customer possible and wait for the sector with the lowest number of possible customer. They do not have provide the service to the whole town if they chose.

They can also chose to provide a whole building with one or 2 fiber connection and sign up deal with the owner.

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·Bell Sympatico
·Cooptel
reply to maxboha

My neighbor have cooptel result:

VoIp phone no ata, its VoIp on pots

Iptv on VDSL1 , not vdsl2 , result, crappy mpeg-4 codec and 2 hd tv 2 sd tv for total 4 tv limited

Internet: Major slowdown (3-4 mbps) or totally cut during peak hour

I called yesterday, 10 mbps is for vdsl1 and 20 mbps is for fiber to the home neigboorhood ( some small village of 400 populations received ftth last year)

fiber to the home for 20 mbps ... I would even better like running on docsis 3....