share rss forum feed

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA
reply to miataman

Re: WOO! Update your iPad FIOS APP...live streaming TV

said by miataman:

said by John W:

I guess I don't see the thrill of watching something on my iPad, when I could be watching it on my large screen TV.

depends on how many people want to watch something. Consider it an extra HD TV set. Will come in handy when 2 programs are already recording. Also use with headphones so one can stay in the same room as others who may be using the "real TV"

Right on all accounts. Also, I guess not many sports fans here. There are many occasions when I want to have NFL Redzone on my tablet and a game on the TV (or visa versa). So I think for sports, it could be big. Also when my football team (Redskins) are playing, along with the Lakers in the same times slot, it is beneficial to have 2 screens for viewing.

That said, as with another poster, I am using a Slingbox so it's a bit of a moot point. I am using the Slingbox 350 and it outputs fantastic to my 10 inch tablet (Android) or my phone. Had I not had this, I certainly would be asking "When will it come to Andoid!?!?".

jr461

join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

I was hoping I would be able to use this similarly, keeping en eye on sports while my wife and i watched shows, however, without local channel and local sports network access, it isn't possible.

Still, a nice addition, and hopefully it will evolve to include all channels one is subscribed to, but for now it's limited for me.

kjgryz

join:2012-04-06
Seaford, NY
reply to danman48

Kids wanted TV in their room and now they got it... Thanks Verizon for finally coming around..

JayMan 007

join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA
reply to dmodert66

Agreed.
And since they took away the Fios football app, which was redzone, they should add that channel to this app.
I would also like to see the local channels on the app.
This would be nice for those times there is a conflict with recording 3 things.

I'm also one that watches sports on ipad while on patio.

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to danman48

The irony of this being that of course I purchased a Slingbox and its (overpriced) iPad & iPhone apps two days before this update. Oh well, guess I have multiple avenues now.

ohernan

join:2011-02-06
Dedham, MA
reply to JayMan 007

said by JayMan 007:

Agreed.
And since they took away the Fios football app, which was redzone, they should add that channel to this app.

The NFL made a deal with Verizon to be the exclusive mobile carrier of Redzone, so I don't think they will add this to this app.

marhil

@verizon.net
reply to danman48

What is the name of the Apple app to watch Fios on your ipod ?

ohernan

join:2011-02-06
Dedham, MA

said by marhil :

What is the name of the Apple app to watch Fios on your ipod ?

For the iPad only it is FIOS Mobile App, not available for iphone or ipod.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to danman48

I hope they come out with a PC version so I can use my laptop for the live TV. Currently they offer afew channels live via their website but would be nice to have 75 channels to choose from..

w2kr

join:2000-07-19
Florham Park, NJ

Wouldn't it be nice if you could watch the shows recorded on your DVR?

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

If youre home, can somebody please explain why you would rather watch TV on an IPAD opposed to your hi-def TV? Not my cup-o-tea I guess, I think its pretty ridiculous actually.

Strap your Ipad to your face, and viola! a 200" HDTV.

:confused:

It's not ridiculous. I can give you several reasons:

1) Mobility - if I want to watch something in a room that currently doesn't have a TV, I would be able to do that. For example, my wife is big on not having a TV in the bedroom. Or, as someone mentioned, being able to watch something outside.

2) Number of screens - we have 7 peole in our house, and three TVs. Screen space is a premium. If I can get a good number of channels without the need for another TV or another STB... I think that's a very good thing.

3) Content - I have 5 kids - 3 of whom are 7 and younger. There are shows/movies that we don't want them watching, but I would like to be able to watch. I could wait until they all go to bed... or I could just fire up a tablet, and stream that movie. I use my phone for that purpose alot, actually.

In fact, I was thinking of getting my wife a tablet for Christmas. I was torn between a number of Android tablets, and the ipad mini. This is one big reason to with the mini.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to danman48

I know a few guys who love this, and have Cablevision. Because lets them watch the big screen with the kids watching an ipad in the living room.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by Greg2600:

I know a few guys who love this, and have Cablevision. Because lets them watch the big screen with the kids watching an ipad in the living room.

LOL, it's the other way around in my house. The kids get the TV in the family room while I get the iPad. I have other TVs in the house but it's nice sometimes to just hang with them.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

What would be neat is if NFL RedZone were available.. As an adjunct to games on the big screen.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

JayMan 007

join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA
reply to ohernan

said by ohernan:

said by JayMan 007:

Agreed.

The NFL made a deal with Verizon to be the exclusive mobile carrier of Redzone, so I don't think they will add this to this app.

Yeah, no loyalty to existing customers.... I have FiOS and Verizon wireless.

TimGoodwin14

join:2011-05-25
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to danman48

Show this over at Engadget...

»www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/veri···rywhere/

Fireguyy

join:2006-10-01
reply to Zero

said by Zero:

If the iPad app can now support access to 75 live streaming channels, will these additional channels be added to existing Xbox 360 and Samsung Smart TV lineups?

I see no reason to deny the Xbox and Samsung TV apps access to these additional channels. After all no new functionality is being launched with this updated iPad app. It's simply another device being added to support the same internet TV delivery platform that the others have been using - each with their own unique interface that works best on the device.

Yes, they are coming.

Fireguyy

join:2006-10-01
reply to JayMan 007

said by JayMan 007:

said by ohernan:

said by JayMan 007:

Agreed.

Yeah, no loyalty to existing customers.... I have FiOS and Verizon wireless.

I dont see how this is a loyalty issue? Its due to the NFL and their restrictions and $$$$.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
reply to danman48

App seems to work great. It would be nice if the "locals" were also supported, but still, there is some good content available to stream. Other functions also seem to be useful and laid out reasonably well.

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA
reply to danman48

So does anyone know if an Android version of this app will be released anytime soon? I'm surprised they did the iPad app first, since Verizon seemed to work fairly closely with Android devices and more specifically Samsung, i.e. one of the first Smart TV devices supported was from Samsung.

My wife has an iPAD 2 and I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1, so I was hoping to get this on both. Just wondering about the ETA for support.

Dan Y

@UMDNJ.EDU
reply to danman48

Hi,

Any limit to the # of Ipads I can use simultaneously use to access FIOS?

nismofreak

join:2008-07-23
Randolph, NJ
reply to danman48

I loaded the app this morning. First, it didn't sync to my DVR so I had to hard reset the ipad (no great shakes). But after that, when I attempt to view the DVR with the app, it reboots my STB! WTF!!!

Yes, the live stream works so I can just keep the ipad with me in my office and watch a few cable shows but it would be great if I could stream off the DVR and watch my recordings on the ipad.

As usual, the app is pretty buggy. Oh well.

DGGSLF

join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

I also had the same problem about 30 minutes ago. Brought up the app to stream CNN to my office while I work and five minutes later, my wife yells up from the family room that the TV went black. I checked all three boxes plus my DVR and they had all rebooted. Hopefully this is not an ongoing issue but just a hiccup.

Mtaz

join:2008-10-21
Hawthorne, NJ
reply to danman48

ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to nismofreak

I was just about to post the same thing.

For me, my STB reboots on this apps startup screen. I can not even access the channel lists.

This just started to happen today, bc this did not happen the last time I used this app, which was a few days ago.

Idk if I should call and report this directly to VZ or not. Plus I don't know if this is a nightly build fix for the STB rebooting , or not.

bmor

@rr.com
reply to MagicalPig

What kind of VPN setup did you use to get the live streaming to work?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit

Using OpenVPN in bridge mode here. I assume it'll work over my PPTP or IPSec VPN, too.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bmor

@rr.com

does the ipad support an openvpn? Also what are you using as your OpenVPN endpoint (how the performance?)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

Jailbroken, yes, but that's not how I'm using it.

I run a wireless AP in the remote location that is bridged with the OpenVPN connection - when I'm on that wireless AP, I get an IP address from the DHCP server in New York and all my traffic goes through the FiOS connection. The OpenVPN endpoints are a virtualized Linux server in NY and virtualized pfSense router in CA. I can max out the line in CA (2MB/sec down, 120KB/sec up)

I also have a PPTP server running on a dd-wrt router in NY, but the throughput is much lower (around 600KB/sec max). I just tried this over WiFi at work (it works fine) and AT&T "4G" (not LTE) - doesn't work over Cellular. I'm guessing the app checks if you're on a WiFi network before allowing the video to play.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

bmor

@rr.com

Nice! I'm checking out the pfsense interface now. I'd like to replicate your setup with 2 pfsense routers on each end

I'm in the VPN interface but what mode do you set the server to? Peer to Peer or Remote Access (different options for each)

Also what mode would I set the openvpn client too? (Peer to Peer ssl/tls or shared key)