uniqs

Dan Y
@UMDNJ.EDU

Dan Y to danman48

Anon

to danman48

Re: WOO! Update your iPad FIOS APP...live streaming TV

Hi,

Any limit to the # of Ipads I can use simultaneously use to access FIOS?

nismofreak
join:2008-07-23
Randolph, NJ

nismofreak to danman48

to danman48
I loaded the app this morning. First, it didn't sync to my DVR so I had to hard reset the ipad (no great shakes). But after that, when I attempt to view the DVR with the app, it reboots my STB! WTF!!!

Yes, the live stream works so I can just keep the ipad with me in my office and watch a few cable shows but it would be great if I could stream off the DVR and watch my recordings on the ipad.

As usual, the app is pretty buggy. Oh well.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

I also had the same problem about 30 minutes ago. Brought up the app to stream CNN to my office while I work and five minutes later, my wife yells up from the family room that the TV went black. I checked all three boxes plus my DVR and they had all rebooted. Hopefully this is not an ongoing issue but just a hiccup.
Mtaz
join:2008-10-21
Hawthorne, NJ

Mtaz to danman48

to danman48
ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to nismofreak

Anon

to nismofreak
I was just about to post the same thing.

For me, my STB reboots on this apps startup screen. I can not even access the channel lists.

This just started to happen today, bc this did not happen the last time I used this app, which was a few days ago.

Idk if I should call and report this directly to VZ or not. Plus I don't know if this is a nightly build fix for the STB rebooting , or not.

bmor
@rr.com

bmor to MagicalPig

Anon

to MagicalPig
What kind of VPN setup did you use to get the live streaming to work?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Using OpenVPN in bridge mode here. I assume it'll work over my PPTP or IPSec VPN, too.

bmor
@rr.com

bmor

Anon

does the ipad support an openvpn? Also what are you using as your OpenVPN endpoint (how the performance?)

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Jailbroken, yes, but that's not how I'm using it.

I run a wireless AP in the remote location that is bridged with the OpenVPN connection - when I'm on that wireless AP, I get an IP address from the DHCP server in New York and all my traffic goes through the FiOS connection. The OpenVPN endpoints are a virtualized Linux server in NY and virtualized pfSense router in CA. I can max out the line in CA (2MB/sec down, 120KB/sec up)

I also have a PPTP server running on a dd-wrt router in NY, but the throughput is much lower (around 600KB/sec max). I just tried this over WiFi at work (it works fine) and AT&T "4G" (not LTE) - doesn't work over Cellular. I'm guessing the app checks if you're on a WiFi network before allowing the video to play.

bmor
@rr.com

bmor

Anon

Nice! I'm checking out the pfsense interface now. I'd like to replicate your setup with 2 pfsense routers on each end

I'm in the VPN interface but what mode do you set the server to? Peer to Peer or Remote Access (different options for each)

Also what mode would I set the openvpn client too? (Peer to Peer ssl/tls or shared key)

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to Zero5

to Zero5
said by Zero5:

If the iPad app can now support access to 75 live streaming channels, will these additional channels be added to existing Xbox 360 and Samsung Smart TV lineups?

I see no reason to deny the Xbox and Samsung TV apps access to these additional channels. After all no new functionality is being launched with this updated iPad app. It's simply another device being added to support the same internet TV delivery platform that the others have been using - each with their own unique interface that works best on the device.

VZ did It.

»www.engadget.com/2012/11 ··· nels-lg/

Engadget

Verizon FiOS brings its live TV streaming app to LG Smart TVs HD

By Richard Lawler posted Nov 28th, 2012 at 10:19 PM 0

Verizon FiOS brings its 75 streaming channels to LG Smart HDTVs, no cable box needed

Verizon is continuing to extend access to its FiOS TV service (at least, within the homes of subscribers) by bringing an app to LG Smart TVs with access to 75 channels and Flex View video on-demand. That follows the iPad last week, as well as earlier apps for the Xbox 360 and Samsung's connected TV platform. This app is of course customized for LG's Magic Remote gesture control feature, and is available on all 2012 Smart TVs, plus the BP620 Blu-ray player via the Smart TV smart World app store. The good news is you can make use of it in a room with no cable box needed, however the lineup is still missing a few key channels (ESPN) that may be tough to do without. Verizon recently announced a deal with NBCUniversal to increase its TV Everywhere selection, if it can add a few more the set-top box-less future may be within reach.

Verizon FiOS brings its 75 streaming channels to LG Smart HDTVs, no cable box needed
Hide Press Release

LG, Verizon Stream 75 Popular TV Channels To LG Smart TV Platform

Premium LG Smart TV Application Offers Alternative to Set-top Box; Provides Access to 'Flex View' On-Demand Content

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Nov. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The powerful LG Smart TV platform from LG Electronics is the first to allow Verizon FiOS TV customers to enjoy 75 broadcast channels, serving as a set-top box alternative within the home. The new premium application on LG's 2012 Smart TVs and Blu-ray Disc players also delivers Verizon FiOS' on-demand content service, "Flex View.*"

"The expansive selection of channels from FiOS TV and on-demand content from Verizon's Flex View library further strengthens LG's Smart TV platform, giving consumers of all ages a virtually limitless amount of entertainment on TVs, Blu-ray players, PCs, even tablets and phones," said Samuel Chang, vice president, Smart TV and Innovation, LG Electronics USA, Inc.

"As we see more and more consumers adopting the multi-screen universe, LG continues to seek content and alliances that broaden our Smart TV offerings to provide the best experience on whichever device consumers choose to use," Chang said.

Verizon customers who subscribe to both FiOS TV and Internet service can access the application via the Smart World section on LG's Smart TV interface. Among the 75 channels are consumer favorites such as HBO, Food Network, NFL Network, TBS, VH1 and others, offering content for all age groups and preferences.

LG Smart TV owners also can access FiOS TV's Flex View, which offers more than 25,000 on-demand movies and show titles for purchase or rent on any Internet-connected device, whether home on a TV or PC, or on-the-go on a mobile device.

"Offering more FiOS channels on LG Smart TVs epitomizes Verizon's commitment to delivering the best in-home entertainment experience to our customers across the greatest number of viewing platforms," said Maitreyi Krishnaswamy, director of product services for Verizon. "We understand that consumers' content consumption habits are changing and consumers are engaging on many different platforms within the home. We're working with LG to make watching TV and interacting with it more interesting and enjoyable than ever before."

The FiOS TV application is easy to use with the LG Magic Remote, and now it's even simpler for FiOS subscribers to find the movie or TV show they want to watch. For the first time, Verizon's FiOS search on LG Smart TVs and Blu-ray players provide search results from a choice of 75 broadcast channels and Flex View content. In addition, parent-friendly features include parental PIN options to restrict mature content and a purchase PIN requirement for authorization of any rental and purchases of on-demand content through the application.

The premium Verizon FiOS application is available on all 2012 LG Smart TV series (LM9600, LM8600, LM7600, LM6700, LM6200, LS5700, PM9700, PM6700 and PM4700) and the BP620 LG connected Blu-ray player. The App is available in LG's Smart TV Smart World. For more information, please visit LG.com.

* Verizon FiOS TV and Internet subscriptions required and sold separately. Subscription to HBO, Cinemax and EPIX is also required to access those channels. Customers must be in range of a FiOS router to use Live Streaming Channels. Content and services vary by product and are subject to change without notice.

AOL Tech.

© 2012 AOL Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy Terms of Use Trademarks AOL A-Z Help Advertise with Us

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to DGGSLF

Anon

to DGGSLF
Has this been fixed yet ? When it is corrected, can someome please post that it is fixed here. I did call support, but the CSR was not helpful at all. He did not know that the was an app that steamed anything.

Ironically, he did say it will be fixed in 72-96 hours. But I bet he was just saying that for the hell of it.

Thank You.
Webcobbler

Webcobbler to bigdaddy

Anon

to bigdaddy
That is great for LG owners, but what what about Samsung tv owners who have the FiOS tv app? Will they also get the 75 streaming channels ?

I just checked, and I still have 27 channels to stream through that app. Do you think that the app will update itself when they push the 75 channels to that app for Samsung Smart TVs? I truly hope that the tv app gets those new streaming channels, like the iPad app now gets.

Thank You.
city318
join:2008-08-13
New York, NY

city318 to Webcobbler

to Webcobbler
Yes,received email from vz asking to reboot STB manually and retry. It fixed the issue for me
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to Webcobbler

to Webcobbler
After my boxes rebooted yesterday, it worked fine for the two hours I had it running. I have not tried it today.
Mtaz
join:2008-10-21
Hawthorne, NJ

Mtaz

This would sure work look good on my Samsung S3... Verizon are you listening? Samsung alone has sold 80 million + of this Android phone alone, why in the world was an android app not released on the same day as the apple app?! I got a nice Xoom tablet waiting to stream as well....

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to bmor

MVM,

to bmor
said by bmor :

Nice! I'm checking out the pfsense interface now. I'd like to replicate your setup with 2 pfsense routers on each end

I'm in the VPN interface but what mode do you set the server to? Peer to Peer or Remote Access (different options for each)

Also what mode would I set the openvpn client too? (Peer to Peer ssl/tls or shared key)

Honestly, OpenVPN is overkill for this application. If you really want to set it up, there are tutorials on the pfsense forums and other places. My setup is Peer to Peer SSL/TLS.

Setup a simple PPTP server and use that on the iOS device to get around the restrictions.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to danman48

Premium Member

to danman48
Pretty good quality on ipad 3/4

Gramacho
@adelphi.edu

Gramacho to danman48

Anon

to danman48
Hello,
I am using the FIOS iPad app and cannot seem to get it to work. Every time I pull up a live stream, I receive Error 9.

I am using the Verizon supplied router along with my Linksys EA 4200 v2. The wireless on the FIOS router is disabled. If there any way to get the app to work while using my EA 4200 or do I have to use Verizon's router?
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to danman48

to danman48
Re Android.
If you have an XBox you can see and control your XBox via an updated Android App. I have just downloaded this for my Nexus 7. I haven't had the time to play with it fully yet, but it may well allow quite a lot of streaming as FIOS works thru an XBox and at the least one might be able to get into ESPN HBO2Go etc.
Anyone tried yet?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by IanR:

Re Android.
If you have an XBox you can see and control your XBox via an updated Android App. I have just downloaded this for my Nexus 7. I haven't had the time to play with it fully yet, but it may well allow quite a lot of streaming as FIOS works thru an XBox and at the least one might be able to get into ESPN HBO2Go etc.
Anyone tried yet?

There are already separate Android apps that work for ESPN, HBOGo, CinemaxGo, etc. with the stream coming from the provider directly via the Internet, not Verizon. The Xbox streaming is about 1/3 of that on this new iPad app. What we Androids are looking for is a true equivalent app -- and I might add for Windows 8 also.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by PJL:

-- and I might add for Windows 8 also.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· M2K8cmU8
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by miataman:

said by PJL:

-- and I might add for Windows 8 also.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· M2K8cmU8

I'm not sure the point of this video -- please explain.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by PJL:

I'm not sure the point of this video -- please explain.

Verizon announced this app in 2010. They're a little slow on these things.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to danman48

to danman48
»multichannel.com/telco-t ··· s/140449

"According to industry sources, the different channel lineups are due the different technical capabilities of the respective platforms. The iPad and LG currently have the ability to deliver more channels than Xbox and Samsung given the way the FiOS apps for those devices are implemented, but it’s only a temporary disparity as Xbox and Samsung are working to increase their capacity and close the gap, according to an executive with knowledge of the situation."

So there you have it.

miataman
Premium Member
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

Shouldn't be more than a few years for us here!!

»www.fiercemobilecontent. ··· 12-12-12
dmon4u
join:2006-03-15
Hummelstown, PA

dmon4u

Re: T

It would help if they dumped the SD channels or allowed an edit by us !