uniqs
share rss forum feed

fazeTO

join:2011-03-22
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to hm

Re: New Canadian Bittorrent lawsuit: Who shared "Recoil&quo

Totally agree with the hm and cowboy here. I'm actually suprised the judge allowed the disclosure of information in the first Distributel request for names. Assuming they provided the same information as now (list of IP's and Date/Time). I guess I don't know exactly what traspired. Does anyone know if the judge asked any specific questions with regards to the evidence?.

Atleast in the TSI case the judge was asking some good questions and even stated a one sided affair is probably not in the public interest.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to IamGimli

said by IamGimli:

You are correct but relevant, related Canadian cases regarding red light cameras proves that an arms-length relationship is enough for Canadian courts to assess the balance of responsibility against the defendant.

If proof of ownership of the car is enough to issue a ticket to it's owner because he's responsible for that car, with no evidence of the owner having committed the offense, proof of ownership of an ISP's service would be enough to prove responsibility for acts committed using that account.

Not all that different from the ISP/copyright scenario. A ticket is issued to the owner of the car, but that owner's driving record is unaffected because it can't be proven that he was in control of the vehicle. Similarely, an ISP can hold you, the account holder, responsible for nadwidth usage, but can't prove who actually used the bandwidth.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac

said by AsherN:

said by IamGimli:

You are correct but relevant, related Canadian cases regarding red light cameras proves that an arms-length relationship is enough for Canadian courts to assess the balance of responsibility against the defendant.

If proof of ownership of the car is enough to issue a ticket to it's owner because he's responsible for that car, with no evidence of the owner having committed the offense, proof of ownership of an ISP's service would be enough to prove responsibility for acts committed using that account.

Not all that different from the ISP/copyright scenario. A ticket is issued to the owner of the car, but that owner's driving record is unaffected because it can't be proven that he was in control of the vehicle. Similarely, an ISP can hold you, the account holder, responsible for nadwidth usage, but can't prove who actually used the bandwidth.

At this point and time it's highly questionable if they can even prove that they have the correct account holder to match the IP, let alone diving into further detail. AND before they can even get to that point, they have to prove a whole bunch of different things just to be able to sue (which is also a requirement, intent to sue).

Also, that is traffic court, not a civil case. Much, much different in the way things are handled.....

souncool3

join:2009-01-07
Mississauga, ON
reply to Content

So it seems that they are going after small or indie ISP?
If someone is with Bell or Rogers they wont be troubled?
True or wishful thinking?

DanteX

join:2010-09-09

1 edit
reply to Content

Iron Man 3 makes billions at the box office smashes all sorts of records the investment used to make the movie is made back many times over .

I am using this movie as an example to point out there is no loss suffered no hardship suffered if the money used to make the movie is made back and a nice profit is made. BY file sharing these works it promotes the product to people who may see it watch and go " Man i like this I am going to go and buy it" my Motto is you buy what you like after watching it. Holly is scared out of their minds because with file sharing people do not need them to distributed their works. A musician can now self promote themselves.

We are living in an age were increasingly our freedoms and liberties are being sacrificed all in the name of protecting Crooks like Hollywood who run extortion rackets that threaten people to pay a few thousand dollars or face them in court.

As a result I encourage people to learn what TOR and VPNs are. hell get yourself a nice VPS and run your own VPN server create keys distribute them to friends and family and even sell a few to make a few bucks on the side like I do. The Keys do not have to be expensive maybe like 8-10 dollars a month for peace of mind.

It is so easy Grandma can do it.

All Hollywood keeps doing is pushing File sharing back underground and pushing it as well to cloud based distributed computing services where the only way to bring it down will be to bring the entire Internet down.

They keep passing domain blocks on sites like TPB Kat.ph and you know what that has done? its made these sites surge in popularity proxies are popping up every sec to provide an alternate means to access these sites.

read on

@videotron.ca
reply to souncool3

said by souncool3:

So it seems that they are going after small or indie ISP?
If someone is with Bell or Rogers they wont be troubled?
True or wishful thinking?

Keep reading on... Bell, Rogers, Cogeco, videotron etc have all given their customer names to these vultures.

somrandomguy

@distributel.net
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

Iron Man 3 makes billions at the box office smashes all sorts of records the investment used to make the movie is made back many times over .

And for every blockbuster there are dozens of movies that lose millions of dollars (John Carter, Gigli, Waterworld, The invasion etc). John Carter has hundreds of seeds and downloads currently and it's and "older" BT release.

Don't rationalize, just admit you didn't want to spend the money, be honest. I can respect that a lot more.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09

Considering a good number of the DVDS and blurays sitting on my shelves in my Office have been downloaded before I bought them I will be honest with you and admit When i download something and I like it I buy it.

If you made a product wouldn't you rather you be paid based on the fact the user found your product entertaining or useful instead of having the user buy your product only to discover its crap and of no use to them.

My buddies wife is an author who is pretty popular right now and she loves it people are downloading her works and doesn't expect to be paid.

jibby

join:2008-03-31
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to somrandomguy

said by somrandomguy :

And for every blockbuster there are dozens of movies that lose millions of dollars (John Carter, Gigli, Waterworld, The invasion etc). John Carter has hundreds of seeds and downloads currently and it's and "older" BT release.

Don't rationalize, just admit you didn't want to spend the money, be honest. I can respect that a lot more.

to be fair, Waterworlds failure was mostly due to insanely high production costs which the studio approved, and partially due to the set sinking in a hurricane

its not downloaders fault that movie was a giant flop

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

said by jibby:

said by somrandomguy :

to be fair, Waterworlds failure was mostly due to insanely high production costs which the studio approved, and partially due to the set sinking in a hurricane

It's never downloaders fault when movies are a flop.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by IamGimli:

said by jibby:

said by somrandomguy :

It's never downloaders fault when movies are a flop.

Correct.
The movie flopped at the box office long before it was ever downloaded....... Gigli, Waterworld, every movie with the director name 'Alan Smithee' ( »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smithee ), everything that is direct to DVD..........