EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

[Help] Sizing images, borders, mats, frames?

I'd like to start printing and mounting some favorite images into mats and frames. Some are stock ratios, some are not. Figuring out how to spec print sizes, print borders, mats and frames and how to assemble them is confusing to me.

I'd like to be able to do the job right. Can you point me to books, web sites, tutorials etc that can take me from start to finish?

All links, suggestions, personal experiences appreciated!
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

2 recommendations

I agree this can be confusing. If you have a local frame shop, I would go talk to them. We have a local framer who will cut mats for a print for $14. If the mat is a standard size you can purchase a stock frame elsewhere, and put it together yourself. To have them done from start to finish with non-glare glass by the framers you can spend some money real fast, and that is with standard sizes. Odd sizes are even more expensive.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to EGeezer
Once you find what you need as far as sizing, here's a place I found that was pretty reasonable with no extra charge for custom sizes.

»www.amazon.com/shops/craigframes···aag_m_ss

I too struggled with this. It took some time, and in the end I was only a hair off in my calculations.

artphoto

@tmodns.net
reply to EGeezer
You probly already know there are two sets of proportions. One for photos based on 8 x 10 ratio giving 4 x 5 16 x 20 etc and the other art proportions like 8 x 12 16 x 24 etc. Both with exceptions.

These days u might consider prints in the HD 16 x 9 ratio.

Some folks like the top mat border to be a bit larger some like the bottom larger some like top bottom equal.

Theres the sarcastic rule that the more layers of matting n framing there are the less valuable the art. So think too of simple borderless or wrapped mounting.

As mentioned for custom sizes u can buy frame parts in inch increments or cut your own lengths with a fine tooth saw n miter box.

Even cheaper is to buy nice used frames glass matt at flea markets thrifts yards etc sometimes for pennies on the dollar. Then print to match.

if you want your copyright info in the print you make multiple files ine for each print size with the text different size in each so it prints under 1/4 inch or to taste.

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
I've been doing my own framing for years, generally buying frames from Frames-by-Mail, who will cut them to any desired sizes. I've also invested in an inexpensive mat cutter which uses xacto blades and can cut at 90 or 45 degrees. Occasionally I've even used double mats, but they are difficult to get perfect using straightedges as guides.
More recently, I've taken to printing borders around my photos to fill with either black, white or gray so that the overall print size is standard, say 8x10 or 11x14. These of course fit in standard size frames. This works well, and I don't mind the different widths of the borders, horizontally and vertically, as long as the actual photo size is not too oddball.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
While I was out today looking at frames, I was surprised to see frames in formats that fit photos straight from our cameras. No cropping needed. I was at the local discount store.

Acrylic photos are another choice to think about. They come with the hanger or stand on the back. No frames needed.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
In addition to the handy border printing tip from 29886823 See Profile, I found a nice site with some instructional information on the process of sizing, mounting etc. ;

»www.framedestination.com/

Most of my images are 4:3, 3:2 5:4, 2:1 images and high enough resolution to print 12" long side. Finding pleasing mat and frame sizes for the various proportions is the next challenge.

As expensive as frames can get, I'm considering just a mat and backing for images to sell. I have interest form a local coffee shop to consign some of my wildllfe and local scenes. That keeps the purchase price down and allows the buyer to choose a frame to her personal taste and decor.

I'll have to check out the big box stores to see what they have in the way of frames. Someone also suggested shopping the local second hand stores and thrift shops for frames.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

SueS
Premium
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

To sell photos I suggest a white mat, and if you decide to frame some of them a simple black frame works great.

Hope you are successful!