Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to reno55

Re: [TWC] Use Arris DG860 or keep my Linkysys E4200 router?

I’d bridge it.

Your $200 flagship Linksys router is in all likelihood better than the Arris. Nothing against Arris, but Cisco is synonymous with networking. Not sure what the policy is in Ohio, but here in NY, the configuration pages are locked down, so you do not have control over your own network. Doing something as simple as changing your SSID or your WPA/2 passphrase is not allowed. A few weeks ago I swapped modems and got an Arris 852G, I had access to the configuration pages for a few hours, tried to log back in later that night and couldn’t do it. I have mine bridged with the Linksys 4500.

I’ve never used DD-WRT, but back in the day I flashed my old WRT54GS to Sveasoft and ran it for years. The extra features and options on it are incredible, I would imagine the same holds true for DD-WRT. You’ve got a hell of a router, running nice third party firmware, I see no reason to give that up for a mediocre at best router with locked down factory firmware.
--
12/7/41, 9/11/01, 11/6/12

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Cisco is synonymous with networking.

Except the EA(whatever) isn't a "Cisco". Cisco owns Linksys and puts their logo on it, but it is miles away from what "Cisco" means in the networking world.

The Arris is a decent router, but with a provider locking it down, you'd never know it. If you know what you're doing, you are definately better off using your own router.

(The WiFi in the thing is insane. Ours is on the 4th floor of a 6 story office building, back side, and I can see it from the parking lot at the front of the building. It's so loud my Nexus 7 cannot see it if it's in the same room. It's the only time I've ever seen a positive power level... +1dbmv and it then it's blind -- It's a business connection, so wifi is normally off.)