share rss forum feed

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

1 edit

Sagemcom firmware update

On November 29, 2012 between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Bell will remotely update firmware for all VDSL end-users with a Sagemcom modem.

During the firmware update, the modem will reboot causing between three and five minutes of downtime per end user.

Thank you

TSI Jonathan

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Any idea what the firmware fixes? As you know bell is known to have dud firmwares.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to TSI Jonathan
Hopefully it's something about the that great wireless.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to HiVolt
I'm wondering if you'll have to have the modem in routed PPP mode for it to update.

I'll have to find out about this one.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Jonathan
Any hint about what this is to fix? And let us know if it must be in a specific mode. Mine is in the pretend bridge mode with test@test creds.

I don't have much hope that it will fix the reconnect issues I have so I'm not anxious to reconfigure just for this. I'll likely have already bypassed the modem by the 29th by using a temp cable modem connection unless by magic it is stable between now and then. I'm remote to the location so it won't be easy to juggle the config several times for this update.

derekm

join:2008-02-26
kudos:1
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Any idea what the firmware fixes?

My guess? Shell access. (In that it 'fixes' end users ability to get to it.)

Get your tinfoil hats out now guys.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to TSI Jonathan
Hey guys,

The only info we got was what we provided. Let me see if we can get more info on this.

Thanks,

Andre

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

I'm wondering if you'll have to have the modem in routed PPP mode for it to update.

No, because the sagemcom has its own built in login for that... As long as the Internet LED is blue, it will work.

Thats unless you have entered the test@test login in it on purpose, then the internet LED is red and the firmware will not be updated.
--

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON

1 edit
said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Martin:

No, because the sagemcom has its own built in login for that... As long as the Internet LED is blue, it will work.

Thats unless you have entered the test@test login in it on purpose, then the internet LED is red and the firmware will not be updated.

That's what I think too. I'm on the test@test with no idea what the Bell service account password is without doing another factory reset. My issues followed across two modems so I don't think firmware will fix it anyway. But it's been 22 hours since the last one....

edit-> make that 8 minutes since the last reconnect.

TilhasBB
Premium
join:2000-08-05
canada
reply to TSI Jonathan
The real question is how do we avoid the firmware update?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by TilhasBB:

The real question is how do we avoid the firmware update?

by using test@test login, and using an external router...

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
Any other way? I use my Sagecom to connect.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to TSI Jonathan
What about the TR79 or whatever that protocol was for firmware updates, doesn't need an active IPv4 session no?
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to TSI Jonathan
We've asked a few people a few times at Bell and all we are getting is the details that we provided above.

I have no more information on this than you guys do.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TekSavvy Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter!

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
Bumping this thread as a reminder that this will be happening overnight tonight.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to TSI Jonathan
Well my Sagemcom just rebooted... not sure if I got an update or not because it's (clearly) before 1:00. Current firmware FAST2864_v66398.

dataiv

join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON
I am with Bell 25/10 and I see this in the About Connection Hub page:

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v66398
Rescue Version: FAST2864_v76398

So the rescue version is newer than the running one? Maybe that means I still need to reboot my modem.

deekay0

join:2001-12-23
Toronto, ON
My modem didn't reset during the planned outage window and my About Connection Hub also shows:

I tried rebooting this morning and it's the same.

I'm not sure what the version was before so I have no clue if this is new or not. Anyone know?

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TSI Jonathan
My modem reset 2:45am.

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v6740S

I'm using the Sagemcom as a straight modem connected to a Tomato/USB modded router.

Update seems to have re-enabled my DHCP server though my wireless is still disabled.

Beyond that I can see anything obviously new/different in the firmware so this looks like an under the hood fix.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to TSI Jonathan
Nope, no reset for me. Still at FAST2864_v66398.

TilhasBB
Premium
canada
reply to SimplePanda
Can you please check if you still have access to the modem sync rate?

If you don't know how.
»Fibe 25 upload speed decreased after install
Run This : »/r0/download/2···lnet.zip
Then follow these instructions. I want to know if they changed the password or disabled the telnet function.

said by BliZZardX:

I think there was two ways

1) on the first telnet screen you should be able to type sysutil xdslmon (this may be more useful to OP since it shows estimated attainable upload rate too)

2) type system shell
vdsl
enter password: superikanos (turns out to use the default chipset pw)
hit 11 to Request Extended Port Status
ctrl^c to exit

PS if anyone from Bell's management reads this. Next time you spend millions for a custom product you should request these self-diagnostics are included in the web GUI instead of making the little guy jump through hoops to get them. I saw other ISPs using Sagem with much more elaborate options in the GUI. It's a bit ridiculous why you would exclude something so simple with no harm.

Thank you!

RRRR

join:2008-05-27
Montreal, QC

1 edit
reply to squircle
I have mine logged in on test@test since I received it and before plugging it in the wall plug (no reset from what I can see from my active connections to IRC):

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v6637F
Hardware Version: 2864-000000-002

EDIT:
After logging the modem with Bell's account, it upgraded right away to:

Firmware Version: FAST2864_v6740S
Rescue Version: FAST2864_v7637F

... And telnet kept working without having to repatch it!
Note that there was no rescue version before.

Here is a quick script for re-enabling telnet, if need be:
#!/bin/bash
FILE="HomeGateway.conf"
OLD="^\ *(telnets(ports))"
NEW="    (telnets\n      (ports\n        (0\n          (port(23))\n          (ssl_mode(none))\n          (remote_access(0))\n        )\n      )\n    )"
curl http://admin:admin@192.168.2.1/save_rg_conf.cgi > $FILE
sed --in-place "s/$OLD/$NEW/" $FILE
curl --data-urlencode new_rg_conf@$FILE http://admin:admin@192.168.2.1/replace_rg_conf.cgi

deekay0

join:2001-12-23
Toronto, ON
reply to deekay0
said by deekay0:

My modem didn't reset during the planned outage window and my About Connection Hub also shows:

I tried rebooting this morning and it's the same.

I'm not sure what the version was before so I have no clue if this is new or not. Anyone know?

FWIW, I have the default random Bell credentials for the PPPoE login on the Sagemcom and I'm using a router to handle my PPPoE session to TekSavvy.

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
reply to TSI Jonathan
I am at work so I can't check but what should the new firmware version be? Also do you need to have your PPOE info on the Bell modem for this update to work? I have it setup for pass through as well so I am curious if it will even take the update in that mode. I seem to remember the Cellpigs would not update unless you had your info on the actual modem.

I had an upload broken last night so I am curious if this is what caused it.

lawrenson

join:2012-02-22
reply to TSI Jonathan
This thread seems like a good place to mention that it looks like we'll get "wholesale specific firmware" next quarter.
Hopefully that means less Bell restrictions.

quote:
Effective November 23, Bell Wholesale will be issuing Sagemcom 2864 modems for all new GAS orders.

The Sagemcom 2864 will replace the 2Wire modems, which are being discontinued by the manufacturer. The Sagemcom 2864 modem will be offered with retail firmware; wholesale specific firmware will be available in Q1, 2013.

Rates

Bulk purchase terms require a minimum order of 10 units at a price of $110.00 per unit, plus tax. Prices include shipping and handling. Purchased modems will be drop shipped directly to the ISP.

Individual units are available for $110.00 per unit, plus tax. Prices include shipping and handling. Purchased modems will be drop shipped directly to the ISP’s end user.

Rental prices are $8.00 per month, plus tax. Rental pricing also includes shipping and handling; rentals are conveniently shipped directly to the ISP’s end user.

Sagemcom product specs are available on the Bell Business Portal under service provider support.

RRRR

join:2008-05-27
Montreal, QC
Thanks for the head up!
Does it mean we will be able to buy and not rent it too?!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by RRRR:

Thanks for the head up!
Does it mean we will be able to buy and not rent it too?!

You either Rent.. Or buy your own.
Either way you still pay the $8 rental fee.
re: Tariffs.
Thats what this thread is about. Abolishing that $8 fee

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to lawrenson
Thats quite interesting... Hopefully the wholesale firmware will have access to line stats, and that bell will not be messing with the firmware....

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
Staying on topic my SageCom is running the following version:

Curious to know what version is the lastest.

tungaw

join:2010-07-27
FAST2864_v6740S this is the new firmware bell is installing