spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

Moving-United Counties of Prescott & Russell-Fibre/Wireless

So I will be moving in the summer to Ottawa for my work.

My wife works online connecting to assorted hospitals, and currently uses a Turbo Hub. I mostly use Xplorernet Satellite so I can have some sort of reasonable cap (100 gigs) when downloading from iTunes, etc. Overall, our internet bills add up to $400 to $600 a month mainly due to overage charges. We are ok with the cost, but as always, want better value.

We are still looking at rural living on acreage, and are looking in the areas of Limoges, Embrun, Casselman, amoungs just about anywhere in the East and South of Ottawa.

Can you give me an idea of who is providing what other than the usual DSL providers. If DSL is available, I will be using MLPPP to increase speed.

I am interested in knowing more about Fibre and wireless providers around there? Keep in mind, we need lower latency suitable for outbound remote connections to hospitals.

Thanks for any help.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

As far as i know, there is only Bell, Rogers and Xplorenet in those areas.

And in those particular area's I would put my hopes on anything decent from Bell. Not sure about Rogers. Did you pump in a postal code to see if they service there?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by hm :

As far as i know, there is only Bell, Rogers and Xplorenet in those areas.

Videotron and Cogeco, not Rogers.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

Does Videotron do all the townships that were more or less amalgamated as Rockland? Or do they only do Rockland proper?

Canadianisp.ca seems to show only the DSL resellers
freejazz_RdJ
join:2009-03-10

freejazz_RdJ to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
The villages in Russell County (Embrun, Russell,) and those nearby are complete in the EORN network. Inside the villages and the areas closest to them, you have both DSL and Rogers high speed. Both superior to Xplornet. Casselman and Limoges also have DSL and Cable. In all cases, DSL is usually limited to the top ADSL tier of 5-7 mbps, but 16mbps might be available for some. Cable supports all but the highest D3 tiers.

Xplornet has better than average pricing for the EORN areas. I strongly suggest you first check some of the properties or nearby addresses to see if they can get cable or DSL, then check the EORN pricing from their local last mile provider, which can vary based on the EORN zone.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to hm

Premium Member

to hm
said by hm :

Does Videotron do all the townships that were more or less amalgamated as Rockland? Or do they only do Rockland proper?

Videotron serves that general area on the west end. Cogeco serves Hawksbury and that general vicinity in the east. I didn't know Rogers had any share in the southern portion.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

Thanks to all who replied.... I am currently part of the EORN pricing thing, although it is only a small discount with xploernet satellite and a big nothing for the turbo hub. I really don't think EORN did much for us at all since we still don't have dsl, and I am 11 KM from the city center here (and about 3 km from dsl). I often wonder about that whole program.... Sure it improved things, but really, I think it got sold technologies that are really just interm.... And dated when they rolled to the public....

There seems to be more selection in this rural area as compared to the Petawawa/Pembroke are. While I am comfortable with what we are paying now, I am interested in fibre to the home/business options as well..... Simply put, I am tired of two wireless networks, and sometimes finding myself on the wrong one after a big download, and the reliability of the satellite network.

Anybody know of good fibre providers in that area? Does Xplorernet wireless provide any decent coverage out there as some places I am considering are apparently outside the dsl zone.

Thanks

Ryan

Summary
@videotron.ca

Summary to jumpingryan

Anon

to jumpingryan
So I guess that the best we can come up with.

So since there are some cable providers and DSL providers, I personally would get my info from Teksavvy (since they do Bell DSL and Rogers Cable, as well as Videotron Cable).

But I'm not sure if Rockland videotron is one TSI is connected to.

So, Call Teksavvy & ask about cable and DSL (For DSL they will need an address to give you the aprox speed you should expect)
Call Videotron to check the area

Never knew Cogeco was out there, So you can ask Cogeco as well.

For the amount of B/W usage you are doing, stick with Teksavvy if possible and if they service that area. It will/should come out less expensive.

Let us know what you find out.

That should take care of showing you what options you may have.

And I think... execulink is out there (but I never heard anything good about execulink)

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to jumpingryan

Premium Member

to jumpingryan
Here is a map of the Rogers POIs in the Ottawa area: »maps.google.com/maps/ms? ··· 91eca427

It is not an official map but it may help you. If you do end up getting cable service somehow your address might be helpful to improve the map further.

I have many fond memories of working out your ways in Casselmann/St Isidore back in 2008. Nice area and the 417 is in good shape out there.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to Summary

to Summary
Thanks for the tip on using Teksavvy only to check.... I never though of the fact that Teksavvy has both Rogers cable and dsl....

I have had high speed with Bell in 2004 until 2007, cogeco 2007 to 2009, Teksavvy MLPPP X 2 connections, Bell again at a temporary location, and currently Bell turbo hub and Xplorernet Sat 4G. I am almost at the end of the list of companies to try!

The rogers map also provided me some info.... But what does POI stand for? Is that a accurate map of pretty much blanket coverage or is there a lot of dead zones?

Anybody else on fibre providers or wireless options in that are?

Thanks

Ryan

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I would assume there's a lot of rural areas in Ottawa and Prescott & Russell where there are no cable lines physically strung up.

Sometimes that even happens in commercial/light industrial urban areas, too.