how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrZEUS

join:2004-01-13
Mississauga, ON

Teksavvy Mail Server - Catch all?

I've been using an @teksavvy.com email address for years now...ever since I started using teksavvy DSL service. I have decided to ditch the teksavvy.com email address and use a live.ca address instead (for various reasons not relevant to this topic).

At any rate, I had notified my contacts that I had switched email addresses. I had kept the teksavvy address for about a month and had it forwarded to my new email address in case there were still some people using my teksavvy.com address.

Last week I notified Teksavvy to completely remove my email address so that it is no longer in service. After a couple of attempts, they finally did just that and my teksavvy email address no longer is able to receive or send emails.

I sent some test emails to my now inactive teksavvy email address...from 5 different email accounts (hotmail, live, outlook, gmail) and NONE of them bounced back as undeliverable. After notifying Teksavvy of this, they proposed that it sometimes takes time to bounce back depending on where the email is coming from.

Fair enough...I gave it some time (days actually) and none of the several test emails I sent out bounced back. According to one TSI employee, they claimed when they tested, it bounced back. Another employee also tested and they got no bounce back.

I then proceeded to test any random email addresses that would most probably not exist to see if those emails would bounce back. I basically closed my eyes and typed random characters (did this several times with different random entries) and NONE of those emails bounced back either! (eg. sdgsjkdfhaklh@teksavvy.com).

It is evident that the teksavvy mail server is either using a catch all for all emails coming in, or something else is going on here. I am waiting for teksavvy to further look into the matter as I have been going back and forth up until now in the direct forum.

In case anyone is wondering why I care about bounce backs, its because anyone still sending to my teksavvy.com email address and not receiving a bounce back thinks I am receiving emails when in fact I am not. This is not good for obvious reasons.

Thoughts? Reasons behind why this could be happening?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by DrZEUS:

Thoughts? Reasons behind why this could be happening?

There is a possibility that this could be caused by their spam filtering and mail server combo setup. The front end filtering appliances might not have knowledge of legit accounts or not and due to back scatter and other bogus e-mail they might be "eating" the e-mails instead of bouncing it back once it gets through the spam filtering.

jmcneill

join:2010-04-06
Canada

The other reason of course is that if you bounce for undeliverable addresses, it makes it very easy to harvest valid addresses from the mail server. I'd say the teksavvy servers are behaving properly.

Curmudgeon

join:2012-04-09
reply to DrZEUS

I agree with jmcneill. That is the behaviour I would expect. It's more secure. I did something similar with my e-mail and I just left the forwarding (or fetching) in place indefinitely. No reason to remove the address.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to DrZEUS

Not getting a bounce back is 100% normal. Bounce backs would allow someone to attack the mail server by spamming 100,000's of fake addresses and then the mail server sends out 100,000's bounces and they get rejected and everything just clogs up.

There is no one stealing your mail. Loosen the tin foil hat a little.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to Curmudgeon

said by Curmudgeon:

I agree with jmcneill. That is the behaviour I would expect. It's more secure. I did something similar with my e-mail and I just left the forwarding (or fetching) in place indefinitely. No reason to remove the address.

+1, this is expected behaviour from some mail servers (although one might argue that mail shouldn't be accepted for non-existent accounts anyways, but there's no arguing with how TSI has it implemented).

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to DrZEUS

I disagree, I think DrZEUS is right.

Ideally, mail servers should send bounce back messages so the user knows the sent it to an address that no longer exists, if say a user has changed emails for example.

Obviously they are not doing that to save on space/bandwidth/computing resources, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

We actually disabled bouncebacks years ago (5) as it would actually cause possible spam and overload of the mail server

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26
reply to d4m1r

said by d4m1r:

I disagree, I think DrZEUS is right.

Ideally, mail servers should send bounce back messages so the user knows the sent it to an address that no longer exists, if say a user has changed emails for example.

Obviously they are not doing that to save on space/bandwidth/computing resources, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be...

No. Sorry d4m1r, that's just wrong. If mail servers would do that we would be blacklisted in minutes. 99% of all emails our mail systems receive is spam.

Anybody can put any replyto email address and send thousands of emails all over the place and that replyto email address would be flooded..

we've tweaked our mail systems many many times over the last 10 years.

We are however just about to upgrade our mail systems.. but they too will behave similarly.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Gabe
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:7

It even has a wikipedia page

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatte···email%29

Expand your moderator at work

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Teksavvy Mail Server - Catch all?

said by TSI Marc:

Anybody can put any replyto email address and send thousands of emails all over the place and that replyto email address would be flooded..

Speaking as somebody who is currently dealing with this problem (some spammer decided to joe job one of my domains), THANK YOU for setting your servers up correctly!

As pissed as I am at the spammers for abusing my domain, I'm more pissed at the thousands of mail server administrators backscattering the shit out of me!