urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Blogger

Premium Member

to Blogger

Re: [WIN8] With Sinofsky Gone, Start Menu Could Return to Window

Stardock has an application like Fences which does a pretty good job of corralling your icons. You can create groups of them and label the groups accordingly.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Stardock has an application like Fences which does a pretty good job of corralling your icons. You can create groups of them and label the groups accordingly.

Thanks for that tip! If for some reason I need or want icons on the desktop I'll be sure to check it out.

For now I don't like the icons on the desktop and secondarily never felt a need for them either.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

There are definitely features in Windows 8 that I indeed like, just as there are things that I don't like; namely the Start Screen. But as many of the others in this thread have stated, I got the Start Menu back with Stardock's Start8.

Honestly, I walked into Windows 8 really wanting to hate it but with my usage of it I can't say that I hate it anymore.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by trparky:

There are definitely features in Windows 8 that I indeed like, just as there are things that I don't like; namely the Start Screen. But as many of the others in this thread have stated, I got the Start Menu back with Stardock's Start8.

Honestly, I walked into Windows 8 really wanting to hate it but with my usage of it I can't say that I hate it anymore.

You hated it less after you got the start menu back right?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by trparky:

You hated it less after you got the start menu back right?

Yes.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

ok just making sure, I was playing with some win8 laptops in staple last week I have the same feeling, it's fine but clicking where the start button would be just brings up metro again.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
I love the Windows 8's Start screen a lot more than the start menu, even after using Windows since 3.1 days. I got Windows 95 since the day it was out.

Lack of start menu does not affect me because I know where to go in a single clicks. Right click the start corner (in lower left corner of either Desktop or Metro apps) and you have access to Control Panel, CMD (with admin), Disk Management, Uninstall Programs etc etc. If you right click the start button in Windows 7, all you get is, well, basically nothing.

I do more productive work with Windows 8 than previous Windows - that is an undeniable fact.

I just wish people would stop being like this and learn why MS did this. Then you will eventually "get it" like I did. I didn't like the start screen at first. You really think MS really want to lose this? You're kidding.
Expand your moderator at work

sholling
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA

sholling to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

Fences rocks. I have it on all of my PCs.
sholling

2 recommendations

sholling to RazzyW8

Premium Member

to RazzyW8
Most people will never learn the little tricks that you use to make Win 8 usable for you and they shouldn't have to. They really screwed the pooch on this one.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8

Anon

....they are no tricks....

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling

Premium Member

said by RazzyW8 :

Anything that is not obvious to the average long time Windows user is a trick and anything that cannot be seamlessly accessed via a mouse useless to most users.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to sholling

Anon

to sholling

said by sholling:

said by RazzyW8 :

Anything that is not obvious to the average long time Windows user is a trick and anything that cannot be seamlessly accessed via a mouse useless to most users.

»winsupersite.com/windows ··· ser-menu

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

2 edits

Kramer

Mod

Pretty cool. Thanks for the link and tip contained.

This is obviously an opinion, but I think the presence of that keyboard shortcut speaks to sholling See Profile's statement about "tricks" with which I happen to agree. That's just another trick. A nice one, a useful one, but something that few users would ever remember to use, never mind the options available. I will probably remember it because without creating a shortcut it is a quick way to get a command prompt run as an administrator. Then maybe I will remember a few other things as I go along.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious to sholling

Premium Member

to sholling
said by sholling:

said by RazzyW8 :

Anything that is not obvious to the average long time Windows user is a trick

False. Something new is not a trick. Something different is not a trick.

and anything that cannot be seamlessly accessed via a mouse useless to most users.

Opinion.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Kramer

Anon

to Kramer
So if MS left the start button in the left hand corner would make you remember you could right click it?

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to Kramer

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

This is obviously an opinion, but I think the presence of that keyboard shortcut speaks to sholling See Profile's statement about "tricks" with which I happen to agree. That's just another trick. A nice one, a useful one, but something that few users would ever remember to use, never mind the options available. I will probably remember it because without creating a shortcut it is a quick way to get a command prompt run as an administrator. Then maybe I will remember a few other things as I go along.

I thought we were over the trick days, you know back in the day when the super geeks knew every function key short cut and every ctrl alt button combo etc. I don't want to go back to those days.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer to RazzyW8

Mod

to RazzyW8
Right clicking an object to obtain and modify its properties goes back to Windows 3 at least. Once you have remembered that little "trick" you have learned how to perform thousands of different tasks on different objects. It is a "trick" with a big pay-off, which tends to help people to remember them. Even then, I doubt more then 50% of daily computer users even know what a right click does, Start Button or not. Good gracious I don't want to start an Apple v. PC war, but it is something that Apple had to be dragged kicking and screaming to embrace.
Kramer

Kramer to Corehhi

Mod

to Corehhi
said by Corehhi:

said by Kramer:

I thought we were over the trick days, you know back in the day when the super geeks knew every function key short cut and every ctrl alt button combo etc. I don't want to go back to those days.

You are preaching to the choir here, not that "tricks" are bad things. It hasn't been 3 years since I embraced WINKEY-E to get a copy of Explorer up fast. I'm slow to embrace them but always pissed that I hadn't earlier. Try using Photoshop without remembering a ton of keyboard shortcuts and you will be a lot slower doing things then the person doing the same things with the shortcuts. The difference here is that shortcuts are additional methods for getting the same thing done in quicker time by more experienced users. You are using the word "trick", which at first I took no issue with, but they really aren't tricks, they are hidden features. You can't get to them at all unless you know the "trick". Razzy brought up the right click and I think that helps make my point. How many people out there still have no idea the right click does something at all? There are plenty.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Right click??? Ya I bet many don't know what in He11 a right click is. I wouldn't say that's a trick but.....

I do use some "trick keys" it's when you are confronted by a huge amount of them that problems happen.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to Kramer

Anon

to Kramer
said by Kramer:

Right clicking an object to obtain and modify its properties goes back to Windows 3 at least. Once you have remembered that little "trick" you have learned how to perform thousands of different tasks on different objects. It is a "trick" with a big pay-off, which tends to help people to remember them. Even then, I doubt more then 50% of daily computer users even know what a right click does, Start Button or not. Good gracious I don't want to start an Apple v. PC war, but it is something that Apple had to be dragged kicking and screaming to embrace.

Those people doesn't even know how to uninstall software as I have to do it for them almost daily. They also ask me to put icons on their desktop. Some even come by with formatted Windows XP/Vista/7 machines with no drivers installed asking me why they can't get on the Internet or why their computer feels slow (no video drivers). It's all $$ to me though! *grin*

I know what you mean but an average computer user wouldn't be going to Control Panel every single day. They just want to get on Internet. And they will do it no problem with Windows 8.

Kramer
Mod
Richmond, VA

Kramer to Corehhi

Mod

to Corehhi

I wouldn't say Windows 8 presents a huge number of required tricks to be remembered but I get your point. I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough to remember WordPerfect 4.x and 5.0, your point is well made. Those were programs which worked in an effective 2000 pixel palette, with each pixel being a possible different shape. They were limited. Whether you used Wordstar, WordPerfect or even Quicken in a DOS environment, you were required to know dozens of keyboard shortcuts. There were no other options. I'll never forget sitting down in front of Wordperfect the first time. I could make no more use of it then I could a Boing 747 now. I had to learn a lot to perform the most basic functions.

When you install Windows 8, the first thing Microsoft wants to tell you during the install is how the the within the corners of your screen are hidden functions. I think that alone speaks volumes. It's no big deal though, because it is all completely ignorable.

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

False. Something new is not a trick. Something different is not a trick.

Obviously you have little experience supporting users. If you have to learn a new non-obvious way of doing something it's a trick.
said by darcilicious:

and anything that cannot be seamlessly accessed via a mouse useless to most users.

Opinion.

Fact based on decades of supporting users.

Corehhi
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to Kramer

to Kramer

said by Kramer:

I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough to remember WordPerfect 4.x and 5.0, your point is well made.

Oh ya I remember WordPerfect.