spc
uniqs

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to nyrrule27

to nyrrule27

Re: Raid 0 with ssd drives

You also have to factor in that unless you have the latest specific Z77 or Z79 Motherboard, you will NOT have any TRIM function available with SSDs and RAID 0 !

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

As far as I know the Intel X79 Express chipset still does not have TRIM support for RAID 0 configurations but I would really like to be wrong about that.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to mattrixx

to mattrixx
I have an ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard..

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to mattrixx

Premium Member

to mattrixx
I seem to be reading that RST driver 11.2 has the support - however Intel says only for it's motherboards.
»downloadcenter.intel.com ··· ID=21407
quote:
Purpose:

Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 11.2.0.1006 for Intel® Desktop Boards.

This driver supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation.

RST 11.2 supports TRIM on RAID 0 only on Intel Desktop Boards with the 7 Series chipsets.
Yet everyone is saying any 7 - series is fine....I'm doubting that comment though, why would Intel say only it's own boards?

This link for other boards suggests there is still no TRIM
»downloadcenter.intel.com ··· d=dc_rss
quote:
Purpose:
Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 11.6.0.1030.

This driver supports RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. The driver should be installed after the operating system has been installed. F6 and RAID BIOS configurations need to be performed prior to installation of this driver for proper operation.

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to nyrrule27

to nyrrule27
I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard with TWO Crucial M4 64GB SSDs (6Gb/s) in a RAID 0 array for my boot drive and It is crazy fast!
However, I have NO experience with just a plain old "vanilla" single SSD boot drive with which to compare.

Don`t know about 3Gb/s drives connected to a Asus Sabertooth 6Gb/s SATA Ports, but I doubt you would notice any difference between my 6Gb/s and your 3Gb/s drives/ports in a RAID 0 config?
Like Octavean said "Fast is fast".
mattrixx

mattrixx to norwegian

to norwegian
Yes, I sort of been following all this myself, but I end up more confused than ever.
If you ever find anything definitive regarding TRIM, RAID 0, and other than "Intel 7 series" MBs let me /us know!

Thanks