All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
SteveJobs
join:2012-07-18

SteveJobs to gozer9

to gozer9

Re: Can I have 2 routers in my home?

What I mean by 2 jacks is I have 2 places to plug in a dsl wire into. Both will be a router supplied by frontier, the netgear 7550.

And the wifi reaches all areas of my house, but I have 13 wireless connections and 1 wired connection on 1 router...and I have our computer lab in our basement where another unused jack is and I need to wire the computers to a router.
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

2 edits

gozer9

Premium Member

Ok now we get what you want to do and yes you can add another router but as far as just pluging two dsl modems into the same drop or what you are asking on one dsl phone line no canot do that you must or can only have one modem pluged to the dsl phone line. and a second router would just connect to the first one. why do you have two modems or did you get the new bonded dsl from Frontier and they sent you a new modem?

Just had a thought about why you have two routers from Frontier. and you need to be on top of this. As of late it is known that Frontier has been sending out new modem/routers. And saying its a better modem and basicly just have some info that says do this to install and start useing the new modem but in doing so I think you get put into a new one or two year contract.

read this thread it is why I'm saying to be careful and may want to refuse this new modem if this is how you have two modem/routers. read the link below. Package from Frontier....
»Package from Frontier..

Strider7Sfga
@50.120.112.x

Strider7Sfga to SteveJobs

Anon

to SteveJobs
»[DSL] Need a 2nd modem

Just in case the link is excluded, here's a copy&paste of the original reply.

Easiest solution would be using powerline networking adapters. I've purchased two sets of trendnet tpl-303e2k networking adapter kits. Setup is pretty much plug-n-play. Just plug it into a wall outlet, plug an RJ45 Cat5, Cat5e Ethernet patch cable from the modem into the powerline network adapter, plug the other powerline network adapter into the outlet in your basement, plug into your PC with another ethernet cable and away you go. Plenty of flavors to choose from at online outlets such as newegg, tigerdirect, etc.. no dropped signals to worry about, wireless phones stepping on the wireless signal, microwave, etc.. Don't need a degree in networking to set them up, just plug them in, press the sync button if it doesn't automatically synchronize with your existing setup. I've had no problems with either set. Reasonably cheap solution that will expand your networking capabilities for whatever your needs are. Much simpler to plug into a wall outlet than fiddle with multiple modems, wireless repeaters, access points, support calls to try and figure out just how to set it all up so it actually works, etc.. Cost effective, hassle free and it works.