uniqs

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam

Re: 11/20 - Planetside 2 launches

Well, now that the technical problems are out of the way and I can play the game with a measurable degree of ease, I'm going to have to say that I'm... cautiously optimistic. There seem to be a few lag issues with people warping around (haven't seen the same with vehicles, fortunately) and the starter weapons strike me as a little outmatched by more properly-kitted ones.

The one thing I was the most afraid of while following this game- dominance of vehicles, and a lack of necessity for infantry- hasn't really materialized. Vehicles are crucial for getting from place to place across open terrain, sure, but infantry charges are required to get into the buildings that house the objectives. Plus careful infantry with the right equipment can hold their own against vehicles.

Still, I'm a little hesitant to climb into any aircraft until I've seen that the pilot knows what he/she/it is doing. I've seen far too many Galaxies land upside down at high speed already.

If my rig can handle the strain, I'll see about recording some gameplay (read: Me getting gunned down repeatedly) tomorrow.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

haha

Yeah do not fly with strangers, you will often end up dead. I'll only step in an Outfits and Squads Lib or Gal. The weapon scaling is wonky I agree but this isn't BF3 it takes a lot more hits to kill someone. And if your marked up by 2-3 or more people, your ass is grass.

I really like what they have done to fresh players on their first log in. Gone is the drop you at the warpgate with no instructions. Now your launched into battle, pre-squaded and ready to die.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Rogue Wolf

Premium Member

to Rogue Wolf
Starter weapons might be outmatched in a one on one... but it's never supposed to be a one on one game. Not sure how the new weapons are as I haven't found the time to log in yet, but I used only starter weapons during beta as I kept switching classes and getting more general certs and never had trouble on going on killing sprees, even as a medic/engi/infiltrator (and with a handgun! I don't know how many infantry I've killed up close with the handgun... sometimes I think it's easier to fight with it vs an assault rifle...) Find a proper squad/platoon and the most basic weapons can take anyone down.

As for flying... yeah, I never jump into a random galaxy. It's only squad/platoon/outfit gal for me. In fact, the same goes for sunderers, tanks or anything else.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

The handgun will drop all but a max or heavy assault in as little as three shots.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Yeah, that's what I found out when I kept scouting as an infiltrator. Plus it's a lot easier to hit in general as I take time to aim and make every shot count.

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to ekster

to ekster
said by I_H8_Spam:

I really like what they have done to fresh players on their first log in. Gone is the drop you at the warpgate with no instructions. Now your launched into battle, pre-squaded and ready to die.

...without an opportunity to change keybinds or other important settings. Not what I'd call an enjoyable first experience!
said by ekster:

I don't know how many infantry I've killed up close with the handgun... sometimes I think it's easier to fight with it vs an assault rifle...

The recoill of the assault rifle is a little overdone, I think, but you're right- the sidearm is much more controllable in tight quarters. The problem is that I seldom find myself in situations where it's advantageous.

The number-one problem I have so far is that the game really doesn't give my playstyle (flanking and careful advancement) much room to shine. (I tend to do a lot better in games where you're dealing with fireteam- or squad-sized groups in more varied urban areas.) I'm finding myself sticking with Light Assault and its jetpack so that I can find unique angles to engage the enemy from.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Flanking plays a huge part in base defense, not much so in Bio Labs given their design, Tech Plants and Amp stations have huge courtyards to defend. The areas around the gensets have lots of cover and some great perches.

Right now zerg is the strat for the pubbers, a good outfit will use the zerg distraction to cap influence tiles near an objective or split the defenders by opening a new front.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to Rogue Wolf

to Rogue Wolf
said by Rogue Wolf:

The recoill of the assault rifle is a little overdone, I think, but you're right- the sidearm is much more controllable in tight quarters. The problem is that I seldom find myself in situations where it's advantageous.

The number-one problem I have so far is that the game really doesn't give my playstyle (flanking and careful advancement) much room to shine. (I tend to do a lot better in games where you're dealing with fireteam- or squad-sized groups in more varied urban areas.) I'm finding myself sticking with Light Assault and its jetpack so that I can find unique angles to engage the enemy from.

Different factions have different weapon strengths and weaknesses. The VS have the fastest projectile speed in the game. That's their benefit. TR have the best rates of fire but worst damage for each individual shot, NC have the strongest projectiles but the worst recoil and rate of fire. VS have the fastest shots and the least recoil in comparison to TR and NC. Vanu also get no bullet drop. To compensate their weapons do less damage over distance.

Tight quarters? Shotgun all the way.

Flanking and objective approach are key. The open terrain battles are just awesome. Infantry running in while hip and crouch firing, tanks surging bast and being taken out, air cover overhead while the base AA are going off.

The main force engages while alternative fronts are set up to attack from different sides of the base. Biodome conflicts are about as close/urban fighting as you can get.

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium Member
join:2002-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

crazediamond

Premium Member

Attacking crown was about the least enjoyable thing ever :P And yet we always seem to be working on it