how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Acarney

join:2003-01-27
Richland, WA

[HSI] Slow speed in Richland, WA??

I know speeds are probably going to be slower because of the holidays, but my 100mbits is testing on many different servers in WA and OR at around 7Mbit max.... Most the time I can't hit the full hundred (figure the link or hosting server isn't fast enough/close enough) but I can at least get 50 to 60mbits on these tests.

Anyone else having slow downs in Eastern Washington? Anyone still testing great? Mind posting which speed test you used so I can rerun with that...

Power cycled the modem and things SEEM to be ok on my end without digging into signal dBs and such...

jonboy1

@charter.com

Speeds are looking good in Walla Walla WA!

randahl35

join:2012-11-16
West Richland, WA
reply to Acarney

I'm also in the Tri-Cities and have noticed in the evenings the last few weeks the speeds have been in the 3-7 mbit range. I've done the same as you and all my signal levels seem to be in acceptable ranges. My guess is that since more people are on the 30mbit and 100mbit plans the nodes in the area are starting to peak. Hopefully Charter is looking into this.

Acarney

Richland, WA

Happening again tonight when I went to update Mac OSX. Was SHOCKED when the 400Mb download was only 40% done after like 5 minutes of me leaving to get something to drink. I'm used to amazing download speed especially when pulling from Apple servers and updates of any size taking no more then one or two minutes. I've loved Charter's speed and hopefully this isn't a "new level of acceptable" service and instead an issue on the backend or backbone's being changed... I posted in Charter direct just now about it and I suggest you do to to show there is an issue, even if sporadic.

This is poor speed even for a 30Mbit plan (I would hope at least 10Mbits during peak) but for 100Mbit plan it's laughable. Getting only 7% of advertised speed points to a real issue...

It's funny, Frontier just recently in the last couple weeks started leaving door hangers and mailers about how their DSL speeds in this area have been upgraded considerably and they're "far cheaper" then what cable internet charges... I would hate to give up 100Mbit Charter but if I could get 80% of even a 30Mbit DSL plan 24/7 for less then half the cost, it might be worth it...

hrpdcharter

@charter.com

said by Acarney:

I would hate to give up 100Mbit Charter but if I could get 80% of even a 30Mbit DSL plan 24/7 for less then half the cost, it might be worth it...

Frontier is 25mbps $65 last I checked...

Acarney

Richland, WA

I can't remember how much the internet price of the package is but I wanna say it's like $90 or something for Charter's 100Mbits, so ok, maybe not completely half, but I think Frontier has some really great promo right now for the first year or something.

But man 25mbits sounds slow :P

Toxxel

join:2008-03-05
Yakima, WA

2 edits
reply to Acarney

Here in Yakima I've been seeing issues the past few weeks I'm on 30/3 tier. Speeds have been dropping to below 4 down but up remains the same. I notice it more in the evenings as of late, I'll be unable to pull up something due to poor down speeds. Nights like tonight I'm seeing speeds as low as 2 mb/s, I desided to check my packet loss and it ranges from 10% to 40% sometimes unable to be determined since it spikes depending on different line loads. Pings have been acting strange as well, I'll connect to a server and see 2x to 3x the normal then it calms down. Testing my packet loss I was seeing 200ms pings on servers I would normally see 40-60ms and extreme jitter. I haven't have issues this badly in years, ever since I upgraded to a SB6120 a few years ago my internet has been stable but not until a few weeks ago.

eburg

@charter.com

Speed down to .5 MB tonight in Ellensburg ona 30/3 acct...can't even connect to Charter's speed test site.

MTTS

@charter.com

Charter is aware of this issue, 500k customers effected. Bad packets or incomplete packets is whats going on, not anything a modem or route sync will fix. It's ticketed and I was told no definitive ETA on completion.

Acarney

Richland, WA

Yep, horrible here in Richland, WA again. Do you happen to know if this is a new issue tonight, or if Charter has been having a reoccurring problem the last week or two that's been hard to track down? Tonight is by far the worst it's been, but it's manifested in the same way as the three or four night the last two weeks that I've had problems. Things seem fine, no resyncs of the modem or anything, then extreme packet issues, web sites loading half way before a 30 second wait to finish loading, speed tests showing single digit download speeds...

MTTS

@charter.com

No, unfortunately the representative was referencing tonight in general. However he did mention over the last few days they had been receiving calls, as to what happened? That right now is a good question. I'm going to guess that it's the lack of fiber optics in our area, given the city of richland (I'm in pasco) had passed a plan to upgrade the technology grid, I don't know how far it's gone. Charter really doesn't have much support in the area for the large customer base it's built here. I'm hopeful that we'll see a fix with the more notice we bring to it. He mentioned about 400k of it was TV issues, 51K of it was internet calls and the remainder was other issues. So if that gives you any solace, you're not alone haha.

MTTS

@charter.com
reply to Acarney

Packet loss of 30% here, ping of 400+. Not good and I may just look for an alternative. Pricing isn't good, service is crap. Not looking good Charter.

Mapleine

@charter.com

I rarely have problems with Charter, so I'm not looking to swap, but I hope it's fixed soon.

MTTS

@charter.com

You're lucky then. It isn't all the time, but the service is expensive enough that I find a few days even unacceptable. Think of it this way, assuming you're on the 15/3 at 47.99 you are paying 1.60$ a day for internet. I hate throwing money away.

The bigger issue for me is they are aware of their problems but do little to really fix it. I called and threatened cancellation, most I was able to get is a discount for a month. Not bad I guess but really I'd rather pay 29.99 a month for semi-reliable service. They want to charge premium rates, offer comparable service.

Acarney

Richland, WA

I wish they were like Netflix & would offer refunds automatically through email. They know which users are affected by a slow down and EVEN if they don't know if the user is actively using the Internet, it's still downtime or unstable connection. A quick email the net day saying sorry and offer a $5 bill credit or something would be a huge step towards keep customers happy. I have a microcell connected to the connection & even unstable times could really impact me when I'm not even on the computer. I know the level of Internet service isn't the same as a hard line phone, but it would be a good move for charter & might keep them on their toes with upgrades or maintince...

randahl35

join:2012-11-16
West Richland, WA

looks like slow speeds again tonight. would be nice to know what's wrong.

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA
reply to Acarney

Same slow speeds, high packet losses, and high ping rates here in Kennewick too.

Charter Direct actually got some attention for me, unfortunately they sent out a tech who does not think out of the box (i.e., all problems are with the customer's equipment).

In the past similar problem has been traced back to the low bid line amps that Charter uses. However, IMHO the problem is either at the head end or along the lines out of the head end.

Until Charter has some line techs actually working in the late afternoon, early evening, and all night they will not find the problem because the problem does not keep "bankers hours".
--
DadCooks
(aka Eric)

Toxxel

Yakima, WA
reply to Acarney

Issues again, high packet loss with slow speeds.

geierr
Computer Nut
Premium
join:2001-07-07
Yakima, WA

Same problem (slow) for me in Yakima, WA this evening.

MTTS

@charter.com
reply to Acarney

Called charter rep, their response, and please hold your applause. "sir maybe you should consider upgrading to our 30mb service for only $2 more, that might help in this situation."

So....
1. Not only is it not Charters fault, it's my choice in internet.
2. I should upgrade my service for a more expensive plan to alleviate these issues.
3. Your service sucks for what I'm currently getting and while I'm complaining about said service, you try to UP SELL ME.

I didn't respond for a few minutes and she said "hello?" about 3x's before I responded with the above.

What the F&$% who does that? Anyone had any experience with comcast? I'm getting really tired of this.

eburg

@charter.com
reply to Acarney

Up to 2.24 Mbps download from .5 last night on my 30/3 acct! Oooh but I'm uploading at 4.01. Very lame! I don't even want to bother calling 'cause I'll get the same run around as you all. "Yes I've power cycled my modem, yes I bypassed my router, and my samsung blu-ray is giving the same results so no it's not my computer" To which they would just say "yes it is".

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA
reply to Acarney

At least 8 hours of lousy HSI from about 4 p.m. to after midnight (11Kb/s down - 466Kb/s up average).

When my web hosting service drops below 99.999% on any 1 day I am credited for a full month's service. See the incentive to keep there system working.

Whenever you call Charter for technical problems you get never get resolution to the problem you called for (it's your modem/router/wiring/computer). The only thing you can be assured of is that you will get a "review of your Charter (no) services and a sales pitch.

Hey Charter, how about spending less on script readers and dedicate resources to fixing your infrastructure.

I does not take a rocket scientist to figure out there a system problems.

Final rant (for this post anyway): Where is that fabulous technology you say you have that allows the head end to see problems even before the customer sees a problem? Oh, yeah, it doesn't work. Just like the call center that you get is always on the other side of the country (if even in the USA) and they have incompatible software for see the status of the system in your area.

I can find alternatives to replace my Charter Phone and TV, but for now they are the only option for HSI. Better get on the ball Charter because some company is going to figure out how to get replace you in the HSI monopoly you have.

Long live the fabulous people at Charter Direct who know what it is all about.
--
DadCooks
(aka Eric)

Acarney

Richland, WA
reply to Acarney

Thankfully direct support was able to observe the issue (possibly thanks to everyone else posting the same issue in direct support!) and has announced a fix is in the works with an ETA of about three weeks. Kinda long but probably due to the holidays. Either way in the day time speeds seem decent so it's manageable until a full fix can be put into effect.

Very curious on what the problem could have been. Wonder if it was environment related (lower temps in the night etc) or if they just route their traffic through different (cheaper?) backbone suppliers during off peak hours and had issues with that?

Toxxel

Yakima, WA

Mmm... 3 weeks, guess it's going to be a long 3 weeks then. I popped back here to see if there was any news after I noticed I was having problems again around 5 pm packet loss same old. Might just contact support to have some urgency put upon this issue.

Acarney

Richland, WA

I highly suggest you report into direct support to let them know you're being affected.

Acarney

Richland, WA

UPDATE: Apparently it's bandwidth related. Interesting that the connection speed suffers so late into the night. 6 to 10 makes sense (which is what I quoted when talking to direct support) but as I and many others have probably noticed is that still between like 10pm and 2am it's hit or miss. I'm surprised that many power users would still be on the network around 2am.

Toxxel

Yakima, WA

1 edit

I'm noticing if I put a load on my connection during non-peak times say a 720p video stream and a download. What would be normally no issue I now notice the video stream cuts out and I start to get packet loss on a few tiers of the route. Normally I could easily do multiple things within my bandwidth and have no issue but now I can barely do two things at once off the same line. Even so I shouldn't be seeing packet loss at all under any kind of load but oddly enough am. I also noticed I'm getting small amount of packet loss during non-peak time with zero load on my connection.

kennewickman

join:2013-01-08
Kennewick, WA
reply to Acarney

I was doing fine on my old 15Mbps plan until I provisioned the new Moto 6121 they game me for the 30Mbps plan.

It fits the pattern: When I get home from work until sometime later at night I am getting 1-3 down and 3-4 up. In the mornings it is like 17-18 (that's through all my firewalls, wireless etc, so I am not complaining). I haven't tried a direct connection from modem to a computer in the mornings, because my life doesn't revolve around testing charter's problems (and I have to get to work). I've already lost 3 hours of my life the night I activated my new modem.

It's certainly a problem on their end, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that people get home and stream videos like crazy in the evenings. I really hope what you said about a fix being in the works is true; I know I didn't require a fix with the old modem and plan. I tried to get them to just swap me back to my old modem, but they said "no, the computer rejects unsupported modems once we remove it from the system."

What is Direct Support?

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

Direct Support is the Charter forum that was here... which we just lost in December, when Charter killed all their social media.