how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eburg

@charter.com
reply to Acarney

Re: [HSI] Slow speed in Richland, WA??

Up to 2.24 Mbps download from .5 last night on my 30/3 acct! Oooh but I'm uploading at 4.01. Very lame! I don't even want to bother calling 'cause I'll get the same run around as you all. "Yes I've power cycled my modem, yes I bypassed my router, and my samsung blu-ray is giving the same results so no it's not my computer" To which they would just say "yes it is".

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA
reply to Acarney
At least 8 hours of lousy HSI from about 4 p.m. to after midnight (11Kb/s down - 466Kb/s up average).

When my web hosting service drops below 99.999% on any 1 day I am credited for a full month's service. See the incentive to keep there system working.

Whenever you call Charter for technical problems you get never get resolution to the problem you called for (it's your modem/router/wiring/computer). The only thing you can be assured of is that you will get a "review of your Charter (no) services and a sales pitch.

Hey Charter, how about spending less on script readers and dedicate resources to fixing your infrastructure.

I does not take a rocket scientist to figure out there a system problems.

Final rant (for this post anyway): Where is that fabulous technology you say you have that allows the head end to see problems even before the customer sees a problem? Oh, yeah, it doesn't work. Just like the call center that you get is always on the other side of the country (if even in the USA) and they have incompatible software for see the status of the system in your area.

I can find alternatives to replace my Charter Phone and TV, but for now they are the only option for HSI. Better get on the ball Charter because some company is going to figure out how to get replace you in the HSI monopoly you have.

Long live the fabulous people at Charter Direct who know what it is all about.
--
DadCooks
(aka Eric)

Acarney

join:2003-01-27
Richland, WA
reply to Acarney
Thankfully direct support was able to observe the issue (possibly thanks to everyone else posting the same issue in direct support!) and has announced a fix is in the works with an ETA of about three weeks. Kinda long but probably due to the holidays. Either way in the day time speeds seem decent so it's manageable until a full fix can be put into effect.

Very curious on what the problem could have been. Wonder if it was environment related (lower temps in the night etc) or if they just route their traffic through different (cheaper?) backbone suppliers during off peak hours and had issues with that?

Toxxel

join:2008-03-05
Yakima, WA
Mmm... 3 weeks, guess it's going to be a long 3 weeks then. I popped back here to see if there was any news after I noticed I was having problems again around 5 pm packet loss same old. Might just contact support to have some urgency put upon this issue.

Acarney

Richland, WA
I highly suggest you report into direct support to let them know you're being affected.

Acarney

Richland, WA
UPDATE: Apparently it's bandwidth related. Interesting that the connection speed suffers so late into the night. 6 to 10 makes sense (which is what I quoted when talking to direct support) but as I and many others have probably noticed is that still between like 10pm and 2am it's hit or miss. I'm surprised that many power users would still be on the network around 2am.

Toxxel

join:2008-03-05
Yakima, WA

1 edit
I'm noticing if I put a load on my connection during non-peak times say a 720p video stream and a download. What would be normally no issue I now notice the video stream cuts out and I start to get packet loss on a few tiers of the route. Normally I could easily do multiple things within my bandwidth and have no issue but now I can barely do two things at once off the same line. Even so I shouldn't be seeing packet loss at all under any kind of load but oddly enough am. I also noticed I'm getting small amount of packet loss during non-peak time with zero load on my connection.

kennewickman

join:2013-01-08
Kennewick, WA
reply to Acarney
I was doing fine on my old 15Mbps plan until I provisioned the new Moto 6121 they game me for the 30Mbps plan.

It fits the pattern: When I get home from work until sometime later at night I am getting 1-3 down and 3-4 up. In the mornings it is like 17-18 (that's through all my firewalls, wireless etc, so I am not complaining). I haven't tried a direct connection from modem to a computer in the mornings, because my life doesn't revolve around testing charter's problems (and I have to get to work). I've already lost 3 hours of my life the night I activated my new modem.

It's certainly a problem on their end, and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that people get home and stream videos like crazy in the evenings. I really hope what you said about a fix being in the works is true; I know I didn't require a fix with the old modem and plan. I tried to get them to just swap me back to my old modem, but they said "no, the computer rejects unsupported modems once we remove it from the system."

What is Direct Support?

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
Direct Support is the Charter forum that was here... which we just lost in December, when Charter killed all their social media.