Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Reliable enclosure suggestion needed

I have a portable hard drive hooked up to my Airport Extreme to use as a Time Machine backup drive. It was a 750GB drive pulled from a new MacBook Pro (upgraded to SSD). The HD enclosure is very temperamental, the drive is seen, then disappears. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to resolve.
I've searched, and searched (I've read a few hundred reviews), but each enclosure I investigate the reviews all read the same, some guy loves it (because he had it for three days and his hasn't failed...yet) and another guy hates it (because his failed). I haven't found one enclosure review without people mentioning the same issue.
In any event, I need a new enclosure...or some set up that can connect the HD to my Airport Extreme.
Can you please provide me a link to a specific enclosure that is reliable.
Thanks!

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH
reply to haroldo
I bought a OWC Mercury Elite Pro years ago. It is still going strong.

»eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire···W400_USB
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

I have a portable hard drive hooked up to my Airport Extreme to use as a Time Machine backup drive. It was a 750GB drive pulled from a new MacBook Pro (upgraded to SSD). The HD enclosure is very temperamental, the drive is seen, then disappears. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to resolve.
I've searched, and searched (I've read a few hundred reviews), but each enclosure I investigate the reviews all read the same, some guy loves it (because he had it for three days and his hasn't failed...yet) and another guy hates it (because his failed). I haven't found one enclosure review without people mentioning the same issue.
In any event, I need a new enclosure...or some set up that can connect the HD to my Airport Extreme.
Can you please provide me a link to a specific enclosure that is reliable.
Thanks!

A little off topic - well maybe..

I recently bought a new external enclosure for my time machine...

I thought about what I was accomplishing and it came down to

1) reliable backup/restore for multiple machines
2) ability to recover important stuff in the event of an emergency.

What is an emergency - fire, flood, tornado, etc?? Well your standard usb external disk will be useless - they dont like heat (fire) or water.

I bought a 2TB IOsafe for around $200. It is fireproof and waterproof (including salt water). Amazon has some good prices on these.

Thats what I call piece of mind backups
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to haroldo
You cant go wrong with an OWC.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo
I have 6 Oyen 2.5" FW800 enclosures that I dropped 1TB conventional HDDs in and they're awesome. Never a single problem, never flakey, always just work.

Mine are the previous gen USB2.0/FW800 models but the newer ones are USB3/FW800. The enclosures have excellent build quality and 2 FW800 ports for daisy chaining. The newer ones are pretty pricy for a 2.5" enclosure but NEVER having a problem EVER, LIKE NEVER EVER, makes it well worth it.

»www.amazon.com/MiniPro-FireWire-···nclosure

activoice

join:2008-02-10
York, ON
reply to haroldo
I'm assuming this is a 2.5" SATA notebook drive.

You didn't mention the interface you want for the enclosure... IE USB 2.0, USB 3.0, ESATA, Firewire etc.

I've got about 8 of these USB 2.0 enclosures that I've been using for more than a coule of years... no problems to speak of:

»www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/272

They also have a USB 3.0 version out

»www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/467

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
I have one of those vantec USB 2 enclosures. I use just the cable and board (ditched the housing) for doing cloning; a handy tool.

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

You cant go wrong with an OWC.

I thought so too, until I had one of their Mercury Pro optical enclosures fail. OWC tech support agreed it was their interface board that had failed, but it was just out of the 1 yr warranty so they didn't do anything for me.

That said, I do have other OWC enclosures that work fine and I do buy from them for most of my Mac accessory needs.

RiseAbove
Premium
join:2004-01-30
reply to tmpchaos
That is what i was going to recommend as well, I have owned at least 5 of those things and they work great never had done fail on me.

Even if it is 2.5" notebook drive it still works in these things. I took the 1TB drive that came with my 2012 mac mini and tossed it in one of these that I was not using and it now works as the time machine backup drive.

Or you can go with this one, which has firewire as well.

»www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350SUA···6&sr=1-3
Expand your moderator at work

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to haroldo

Re: Reliable enclosure suggestion needed

It's the power, stupid!
Okay, I got a new enclosure and it had the same issue. So, I spoke to an Apple geek friend of mine and he suggested the issue could be power. My new enclosure was hooked up via USB connected to the Airport Extreme. He suggested I use the DC connector that came with the enclosure and, viola!, problem went away.
Apparently, there was enough power to spin the drive but not enough to have it operate properly.
After reading hundreds of reviews from people complaining that their external hard drive enclosures would be seen sporadically, I began to wonder how many people threw out their enclosures because they were powering it via the USB, as I had done.