drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88

Re: [Cable TV] 41 Days 'till Sinclair vs Mediacom Retrans Expire

said by Anonymous88:

I doubt Obamacare had anything to do with this. Mediacom has always offered health insurance to their employees, the price is slowly creeping up just like everything else but overall I'm happy with the coverage.

Only companies who don't offer insurance should be worried.

I guess you don't read Mediacom's rate increase notices then. Just about every one that I have read has cited the increase in health insurance costs as one reason for a rate increase. I guess you don't read anything about what is going on in health care and the health insurance business. I keep up on it. Anecdotally, my insurance rates have gone up the most since Obamacare was passed. Many experts in the industry have cited Obamacare for the rapid rise in costs and insurance rates. 20-25% annual increase in health insurance costs is not "slowly creeping" up. Those percentage increases cause insurance costs to double in a few years.

The people who should be worried are those who currently have a health insurance plan offered by their employer. Many of those people will lose their coverage and have to buy on the open market at extremely higher rates.
StreatorTech
join:2009-12-02
Streator, IL

StreatorTech

I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Mediacom and other CATV providers cannot just choose to not carry OTA local stations due to the FCC Must Carry regulation. Where I live in northern Illinois, we have to carry both Chicago and Peoria stations because of where we are situated.

As for the rising cost of cable services

»articles.philly.com/2012 ··· e-sports

These sports players making $10million plus a season are one reason of the increases.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to drslash

Premium Member

to drslash
said by drslash:

said by Anonymous88:

I doubt Obamacare had anything to do with this. Mediacom has always offered health insurance to their employees, the price is slowly creeping up just like everything else but overall I'm happy with the coverage.

Only companies who don't offer insurance should be worried.

I guess you don't read Mediacom's rate increase notices then. Just about every one that I have read has cited the increase in health insurance costs as one reason for a rate increase. I guess you don't read anything about what is going on in health care and the health insurance business. I keep up on it. Anecdotally, my insurance rates have gone up the most since Obamacare was passed. Many experts in the industry have cited Obamacare for the rapid rise in costs and insurance rates. 20-25% annual increase in health insurance costs is not "slowly creeping" up. Those percentage increases cause insurance costs to double in a few years.

The people who should be worried are those who currently have a health insurance plan offered by their employer. Many of those people will lose their coverage and have to buy on the open market at extremely higher rates.

Cable TV rates have been rising a lot longer than Obamacare has been a factor. They're just using that as an excuse. It's a convenient one that employers can use to pass along more costs to the customers because it's "popular" right now and everyone else is doing it - sort of like how when you see one gas station change their prices the rest follow, or one company implements something and their competitors follow. Just because they say that's the cause, what proof is there it actually is? Their words on a printed statement telling you about a rate increase notice? They have to put *something* there, and the programming cost increase excuse has been wearing thin for a long time. And I'll be blunt - if I had to choose between paying more for my cable service so employees could have access to decent health insurance, or paying more for my cable service to carry more stupid sports channels, I'd take the former over the latter any day.

There's a difference between prosperity and greed. No one - on either side of the political spectrum - truly believes that prosperity and doing well in business is wrong. Many of us, however, sincerely believe that some corporations have crossed the threshold from prosperity into greed territory, at the expense of their employees and customers.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to have a TV option that didn't involve any of the sports channels. I never watch them. In my case though, losing Sinclair means losing Fox 17, which means losing access to one of my favorite shows (Bones). I could use an antenna again if I had to.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

If you think using Obamacare is an excuse, lets meet back here in a year and see if you still think that. Obamacare forces companies to cover things that companies don't cover now. That's not free. If you have an income in which you pay taxes you might want to google healthcare reform taxes. This think will cost us more in premiums and taxes. He said it would be less than 1 trillion. It's not sitting at $2.7 trillion.

On the prosperity comment. Name me one action that Obama has promoted that supports prosperity and success. He's too focused on entitlement programs to do that.
jrodson69
join:2012-10-02
Independence, IA

jrodson69

said by tsduke:

If you think using Obamacare is an excuse, lets meet back here in a year and see if you still think that. Obamacare forces companies to cover things that companies don't cover now. That's not free. If you have an income in which you pay taxes you might want to google healthcare reform taxes. This think will cost us more in premiums and taxes. He said it would be less than 1 trillion. It's not sitting at $2.7 trillion.

Wait until they find out they will have to declare the full value of any employer sponsored or provided health care coverage as income on their tax returns...and that government will have direct debit access to any checking or savings accounts in their name to debit any health care costs...

On the prosperity comment. Name me one action that Obama has promoted that supports prosperity and success. He's too focused on entitlement programs to do that.

Entitlements = Votes. It really is that simple.

tsduke
Premium Member
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

said by jrodson69:

said by tsduke:

Wait until they find out they will have to declare the full value of any employer sponsored or provided health care coverage as income on their tax returns...and that government will have direct debit access to any checking or savings accounts in their name to debit any health care costs...

Exactly!!!

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to jrodson69

Premium Member

to jrodson69
said by jrodson69:

said by tsduke:

»www.snopes.com/politics/ ··· thil.asp - you look smarter when you research your claims about what Obamacare does/doesn't do.

As for things that Obama wants to do to help increase prosperity, well, in my view, anything that helps make college more affordable will lead to students graduating with lower debt loads, which means less of their income will be down the drain immediately to student loan payments and can be spent actually purchasing things or can be saved. Less debt load also means that young people who'd like to start their own businesses might have more opportunities to do so. You really do have to have money to make money - success and prosperity don't come from nothing, and in general it seems the people who complain about Obama not doing anything to encourage prosperity are people who already are, in fact, prosperous. They're just disgruntled because what he wants to do encourages the opportunity of prosperity and success among people who were perhaps shut out completely before. And access to health care means that people can *stay* healthy, and therefore be able to work and hopefully be more successful. But I suppose in your mind, you should just be fortunate enough to be born into a family where your parents can pay for those things for you, or you just shouldn't have the opportunity of higher education at all.

Seriously though, stop acting like cable rates never increased before this. They increased all the time. That's the point I was trying to make, and it's ridiculous how off-kilter this thread has gone. They'd increase prices no matter who was president, or what bills were passed. The price of cable rose during Bush's administration too. It rose during Clinton's. It'll rise again during Obama's. And it'll rise again in the next administration. Cable rates are just as bad in countries like Canada too, even though insurance there isn't tied to your job. The cable industry as a whole is plagued with the mentality that prices must go up. It's either equipment fees, or programming increases, or fees for services that were previously included (like voicemail in the case of Mediacom) or whatever they can come up with to dig a little deeper into consumer pockets. And even if Romney had theoretically been elected, and had subsequently managed to repeal Obamacare, do you really think that rates would go back *down*? When's the last time your cable bill *decreased* (excluding promotional packages)?

tsduke
Premium Member
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

danawhitaker - You might want to read back a little earlier in the thread. I didn't open the political gate.